Drones, what are you using?

nophix

Where's my coffee?
Apr 15, 2012
Stevens Point WI
I ride a
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
I’m using a dji mini. Love how compact it is as it fits in the saddlebags without a problem.
I've finally had some time to play around with mine more, and I'm totally in love. And as a side effect, I'm now shopping for an FPV rig...lol!

I can definitely see this thing getting me some killer B Roll when we're out riding. I tend to ride to see cool things, and this can get me a really awesome persepctive on those cool things. REALLY looking forward to it when I go chasing water falls!

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
2005 RC51, and a 2004 Honda CBR1000RR
I've finally had some time to play around with mine more, and I'm totally in love. And as a side effect, I'm now shopping for an FPV rig...lol!

I can definitely see this thing getting me some killer B Roll when we're out riding. I tend to ride to see cool things, and this can get me a really awesome persepctive on those cool things. REALLY looking forward to it when I go chasing water falls!

Can't wait Nophix! Love to what b-roll you come up with your drone.

Reactions: R-Rated and nophix

Apr 6, 2018
Have a MiniSE, wish I had the 2, would like to get it one day. Litchi app is on my must do list after the holidays.

GIZZ

Wannabie Member
Jul 25, 2017
Canada eh!
I ride a
K5 gsxr 1000
I don't have a drone but my bro and friends do. The smaller drones get brought out and used and the larger ones stay at home. For that reason I'm looking forward to the Autel Nano + and whatever DJI puts out to compete with it. I just want active tracking in a sub 250G, I'll be ordering it once somebody makes it.

Reactions: R-Rated

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
I don't have a drone but my bro and friends do. The smaller drones get brought out and used and the larger ones stay at home. For that reason I'm looking forward to the Autel Nano + and whatever DJI puts out to compete with it. I just want active tracking in a sub 250G, I'll be ordering it once somebody makes it.
The DJI mini 2 claims to be 249 grams to get under the FAA in US restrictions. My brother in law has one and it makes my Spark look a little sad depending on what we are trying to shoot. He can fly longer per battery which is great if there is a shot that needs synchronizing. So that is on my list if the Spark will ever die :rolleyes:

I am agreement about the big drones staying at home or maybe getting out when we are driving vs. riding.

Reactions: Drakhen99

Apr 6, 2018
You can get tracking in a DJI Mini. Check out this video:

I have no affiliation with this guy other than thinking he's great lol

GIZZ

Wannabie Member
Jul 25, 2017
Canada eh!
I ride a
K5 gsxr 1000
Cool, I see it's working with 3rd party apps. I wonder if the video jumping while following the car can be cleaned up in editing. I hope by the time the manufacturer put out this software they'd have a solution for this.

Apr 6, 2018
Yes. The mini's top speed is 46 km/hr in perfect conditions. Not sure why this guy thought going 45km/hr with the drone at an angle was a good idea lol

UncleL

Uncle LongBeard
Feb 29, 2020
Midlands, UK
I ride a
HD, W800, RE
I have the original mavic mini. The size is great for bringing along on a motorcycle.

I paid for the Litchi app, which does let you use follow me and tracking on the mini. Though with no obstical avoidance, only use it in big wide open spaces or with enough altitude to make sure you clear everything.
Is the litchi tracking usable really? I saw some tests and it looked jerky to me.

Apr 6, 2018
I *think* with Android you can buy the app, try it, and if you don't like remove and get your money back. Might be worth looking into and giving a shot

Dewey316

Dewey|Rides
Oct 1, 2020
I ride a
BWM F800gs / DR650 / Honda CM450E
Is the litchi tracking usable really? I saw some tests and it looked jerky to me.

I have only used the follow me mode, since I can bar mount the controller. I haven't actually used the active track in the wild. Though I can do it, I find my drone usage ends up being just flying to show the scenery. I do want to get some time time playing with active track, I just haven't put in the time while out riding to do it.

UncleL

Uncle LongBeard
Feb 29, 2020
Midlands, UK
I ride a
HD, W800, RE
I have only used the follow me mode, since I can bar mount the controller. I haven't actually used the active track in the wild. Though I can do it, I find my drone usage ends up being just flying to show the scenery. I do want to get some time time playing with active track, I just haven't put in the time while out riding to do it.
I meant follow me as well - all the videos I saw were kind of jerky so I wasn't sold

nophix

Where's my coffee?
Apr 15, 2012
Stevens Point WI
I ride a
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
The Mini 2 definitely comes in under 249g, around 242 when I weighted mine. The Mini 1 battery does work but is heavier and brings it up to about 248 from what I've seen. I weighed mine after adding the light for night flight and it's still just a hair under 249g with the Mini2 battery, but barely.

I was thinking of trying the Lichi app, but without the collision avoidance I'm a little nervous. Not much wide open area around here.

dboi796

Wannabie Member
Mar 12, 2022
I ride a
ducati monster and gsxr 1000
I've been looking at adding one to my gear bag. Current;y looking at the DJI Mini 2, but noticed it doesn't have a Follow Me mode. Not a deal breaker, but would be nice to have.

Any one else using drones and have a good reccommendation? Keep in mind, I'm a very novice fllier. I've dabbled with the ones my son has a few times, but not much.
DJi mini 2 u wont regret

Apr 6, 2018
DJi mini 2 u wont regret
I would just add to this that the rumor is that the Mini 3 is coming out in April. IF that's the case, I wouldn't buy right now, I would wait a month.

I'm sitting with an SE that I'd like to upgrade to the 2, I might try to time the market and sell now, before it drops in value any further, and then buy the Mini 2 once the 3 comes out... but I'm waiting for some confirmation to the rumor first. Gotta save that $20 difference it'll make lol

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I would just add to this that the rumor is that the Mini 3 is coming out in April. IF that's the case, I wouldn't buy right now, I would wait a month.

I'd be curious to see what they change for the Mini 3, because I absolutely love my Mini 2. It's honestly hard for me to think of ways to make it better.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts