Drift...So Close But Yet So Far

Would you have half the battery life instead and 60fps or full battery at 30fps?

• Total voters

LoneWally

All Season Rider
Aug 29, 2017
Leicestershire
I ride a
2007 Hartford HD125L, 2013 Honda CB500X
Since the launch of the Drift Ghost 4K everyone complained about the lack of a mic port which ment people looked at Drift as a lesser option. Especially with a £299.99 price tag. When the Ghost X came out at £129.99 many were looking hopeful until we reliased that again you still need a adapter and it only did 1080P @ 30fps but had mad battery life at 5hrs (8 with a battery addon. Sold separately at £24.99). Then the Host XL came out with 9hrs battery at £149.99 but still being the same as the X 1080P @ 30fps. Yet they both use the same OV4689 sensor which a quick Google search reveals that it can do 1080P @ 120fps.

Now I reckon and so did Spicy in his video that it's a battery saving technique. But come on Drift at least allow us do 1080 60 even if it half's the battery life down to 2.5hrs, 4hrs, 4.5hrs respectively.

X.jpg

XL.jpg

OmniVision.jpg

I did also notice that the X doesn't support the Bluetooth remote where the XL does.

Last edited:
Reactions: Riderguide

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
It is crazy they are sticking with 30fps when it is so perfect for helmet mounting!

LoneWally

All Season Rider
Aug 29, 2017
Leicestershire
I ride a
As I suspect to probably to get that and I quote "staggering" battery life. But as Phil480 suggested in another FB group a modification to the firmware could be the solution

Reactions: HippoDrone

LoneWally

All Season Rider
Aug 29, 2017
Leicestershire
I ride a
I'm still using a second hand Ghost S. Until it dies I'll just swap batteries out

RideOnTwo

Smart Ass
Jun 14, 2019
Massachusetts USA
I ride a
BMW F750GS
I have spare batteries for all of my cameras but never use them unless I forgot to charge the camera before going out. I only turn the camera on when I am going to do something I want to record, that being said the camera usually isn't on my helmet unless I am out doing a video.

I guess if you were using camera as a dash cam you would wan't it on all the time. But if that's the case why not mount to bike and wire it in?

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Really disappointing, Drift cameras for me used to be the best, they are unique. I wanted the Ghost S so badly, but these new models that are being released really feel like a backwards step. In a time when GoPro is going under, you'd think they would be adding new features, not removing them.

Reactions: RideOnTwo

LoneWally

All Season Rider
Aug 29, 2017
Leicestershire
I ride a
It is a shame though on the XL does have a thread on the mic adapter which keeps it waterproof. Though it's not a right angle connection which means when you put it down you end up putting strain on the cable. So they are progressing on the waterproof front

Reactions: Riderguide

Riderguide

Neil - The Rider Guider
Feb 24, 2019
South Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha Tenere 700 T7
There's a rumour of a higher end replacement for the glitchy 4K ...... something they said in one of their Instagram posts which appeared to be a 'watch this space' comment. Not a concrete YES it's happening but it was a bit of a tease.

Reactions: HippoDrone

LoneWally

All Season Rider
Aug 29, 2017
Leicestershire
I ride a
There's a rumour of a higher end replacement for the glitchy 4K ...... something they said in one of their Instagram posts which appeared to be a 'watch this space' comment. Not a concrete YES it's happening but it was a bit of a tease.

They'll still probably bugger it up

RideOnTwo

Smart Ass
Jun 14, 2019
Massachusetts USA
I ride a
BMW F750GS
If I could find a solid solution to the voice capture on the bike that was separate from the camera I would definitely try a bunch of amazon $30-50 cameras. The best picture camera I have is a $30 Amazon no name camera. For $30 I don't care if it drops or gets destroyed because then I can just get another $30 camera. Can also get 10 for less than 1 GoPro or other name brand.

Plus with Amazon if you don't like it you send it back, no questions no $ out of pocket. I am still working on the audio, if I find a solution I will be sure to share.

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
If I could find a solid solution to the voice capture on the bike that was separate from the camera I would definitely try a bunch of amazon $30-50 cameras. The best picture camera I have is a $30 Amazon no name camera. For $30 I don't care if it drops or gets destroyed because then I can just get another $30 camera. Can also get 10 for less than 1 GoPro or other name brand.

Plus with Amazon if you don't like it you send it back, no questions no $ out of pocket. I am still working on the audio, if I find a solution I will be sure to share.
You should try using a separate microphone, to record your audio. Cheapest is using your phone (if it works for you, my phone didnt pick up the mic), with an old headset. But you get lots of audio recorders with mic input.
The mics in camera are ok at best, nothing beats a standalone mic.

PS: You can sync the 2 audio streams by clapping 3 times (this will show up as 3 spikes in your editor)

Riderguide

Neil - The Rider Guider
Feb 24, 2019
South Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha Tenere 700 T7
Drift are just middle ground I feel in quality but have the potential to produce something all conquering. It’s a great shame they can’t get reliability from their 4K. The shell and mountability is pretty good all up. Decent footage, strong battery and simple audio plug in alongside an app that works well shouldn’t be difficult but no company is jumping out at me that I can think of has ticked the box.

RideOnTwo

Smart Ass
Jun 14, 2019
Massachusetts USA
I ride a
BMW F750GS
You should try using a separate microphone, to record your audio. Cheapest is using your phone (if it works for you, my phone didnt pick up the mic), with an old headset. But you get lots of audio recorders with mic input.
The mics in camera are ok at best, nothing beats a standalone mic.

PS: You can sync the 2 audio streams by clapping 3 times (this will show up as 3 spikes in your editor)
yea, tried all that. Phone was a no go as voice came out distorted. Tried an inexpensive voice recorder and that was just as bad. I pumped a crap load of money into starting the channel and settled on a GoPro 4 with the Sena backpack for now. It works but I will keep trying to see if I can find another option. For some reason my voice comes out like a guitar on overdrive no matter where I put mic in helmet. Spent a lot of time testing different places for mic and different apps for phone.

Phones need a 4 pole mic to work. When you look at the pin it will have 3 lines on it. This will not work anywhere else but on phones though, reason for this is phones use same jack for mic and headphones.

Reactions: WheelyPerd

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
I've had a few sales guy say get the X. Only get the 4K if you want a 4K camera
For me, I'd have to import the Drift cameras. Making the X considerably more expensive than anything comparable. I really hope their next camera is good, they really need to make an improvement.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts