thunderous71

Daddy
Aug 4, 2011
Surrey
www.thunderous71.com
I ride a
Mt-09
Greetings!

OK some of you know me... Hi ya ;) Some of you don't. I'm a long time moto vlogger who has used and championed the Drift brand for many a year. And to tell the truth I still love the brand.

BUT

If you own a Drift Ghost 4K and like most owners are having trouble with the charging, connecting to the computer or the external mic cutting in and out read the following.

The USB port is a hybrid Mini USB not a real Mini USB (A or B). The shroud for starters is the incorrect shape so will not grip the cables correctly resulting in a poor connection. Even the cables supplied and the official external mic adapter has the correct standard but isn't fully compatible with the Ghost 4k, as the port isn't a standard mini USB.
Now if using an external mic this will get worse very quickly as just general use will weaken the already weak connection.
If just using the USB for charging and transferring it will slowly degrade until PC connection or charging is no longer possible.

Now this is a known issue and Drift have known about it since the Ghost 4K was issued but they still pumped them out with the incorrect USB standard and didn't supply the correct cable or adapters for the camera within the retail box.

I'm trying to get mine refunded as it is a fault at the manufacture level (to be kind) and the unit should not have been shipped as such.

Now to be fair I am not saying the design and function of the Ghost 4K is rubbish, it isn't it is one of the best 4K cameras out there for the action market and it has a very clever design BUT it has a major flaw.

What I want to know is if you own one have you had any issues...
Charging (common leaving it charging but fails to do so)
Connecting to PC/Mac just goes to charge mode and refuses to connect is common.
External mic cutting in or out or lots of crackle.

Cheers and thanks for reading.

T71

Reactions: HippoDrone

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
I'm a BIG drift fan myself, but I own the Drift Ghost S with an external mic. I've never had any problems with it, but I've been curious about the 4K model as it has stability where the S doesn't.

Hearing the sound connection problems is disappointing, but enough to have me hold off in purchasing one. I hope Drift gets the message and makes the needed corrections.

Lowell

Motourev

Wannabie Member
Feb 18, 2019
Birmingham
motourev.com
I ride a
CBR900RR Fireblade
Greetings!

OK some of you know me... Hi ya ;) Some of you don't. I'm a long time moto vlogger who has used and championed the Drift brand for many a year. And to tell the truth I still love the brand.

BUT

If you own a Drift Ghost 4K and like most owners are having trouble with the charging, connecting to the computer or the external mic cutting in and out read the following.

The USB port is a hybrid Mini USB not a real Mini USB (A or B). The shroud for starters is the incorrect shape so will not grip the cables correctly resulting in a poor connection. Even the cables supplied and the official external mic adapter has the correct standard but isn't fully compatible with the Ghost 4k, as the port isn't a standard mini USB.
Now if using an external mic this will get worse very quickly as just general use will weaken the already weak connection.
If just using the USB for charging and transferring it will slowly degrade until PC connection or charging is no longer possible.

Now this is a known issue and Drift have known about it since the Ghost 4K was issued but they still pumped them out with the incorrect USB standard and didn't supply the correct cable or adapters for the camera within the retail box.

I'm trying to get mine refunded as it is a fault at the manufacture level (to be kind) and the unit should not have been shipped as such.

Now to be fair I am not saying the design and function of the Ghost 4K is rubbish, it isn't it is one of the best 4K cameras out there for the action market and it has a very clever design BUT it has a major flaw.

What I want to know is if you own one have you had any issues...
Charging (common leaving it charging but fails to do so)
Connecting to PC/Mac just goes to charge mode and refuses to connect is common.
External mic cutting in or out or lots of crackle.

Cheers and thanks for reading.

T71
Mine has been fine, I did bend the mic adapter usb part so ordered the one from drift that has the two in one mic adapter and charger. This is a much better snug fit and feels tight. I have noticed on the last two vlogs that when I connect it to the Mac to transfer footage it does not appear as a mounted drive

1mike122

Wannabie Member
Mar 25, 2019
I ride a
Yamaha Wr125x
I noticed with ghost x when i pluged it in to charge when it was turned on it said on the screen it was pluged in so i thought it was charging but when i took it off i noticed the battery symbol was still low bat , same with when i plugged into computer it wouldnt connect proper it would pick up it was pluged in but wouldbt show the folders but then i figured out i had to turn the drift camera off before pluging it in and then it works and everything is fine dunno why but it is as it is

Reactions: thunderous71

thunderous71

Daddy
Aug 4, 2011
Surrey
www.thunderous71.com
I ride a
Mt-09
I'm a BIG drift fan myself, but I own the Drift Ghost S with an external mic. I've never had any problems with it, but I've been curious about the 4K model as it has stability where the S doesn't.

Hearing the sound connection problems is disappointing, but enough to have me hold off in purchasing one. I hope Drift gets the message and makes the needed corrections.

Lowell

The Ghost-s is the best cam they have made (not tried the X myself) in regards to durability and especially batter life. Was/is an awesome camera.

Reactions: scooterwuf

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
I'd really like a Ghost X (or drift x?). I like the battery life and the modular function of everything. They are savage expensive locally unfortunately.

LoneWally

All Season Rider
Aug 29, 2017
Leicestershire
I ride a
2007 Hartford HD125L, 2013 Honda CB500X
My Ghost S has been going strong. I brought it of eBay second. It was in brilliant condition. When I came well over a go and slid on my left the S took a battering and now looks like its seen some of the wars. I've never used the waterproof door and had a mic in. Sun, rain, hail, snow its been through it all. Sure water gets in the speaker port and it sounds poor with the beeps but I just leave it and it dries out.

I was going to upgrade to the 4K but I keep hearing poor experience. Same with the X. I was thinking about picking another S but the last time I looked they hold the value. Some trying to charge the original retail price. Don't fancy using the GoPro as it would be a bitch on my helmet

thunderous71

Daddy
Aug 4, 2011
Surrey
www.thunderous71.com
I ride a
Mt-09
I was going to upgrade to the 4K but I keep hearing poor experience. Same with the X. I was thinking about picking another S but the last time I looked they hold the value. Some trying to charge the original retail price. Don't fancy using the GoPro as it would be a bitch on my helmet

GoPro are great but the battery life is so poor, thats one thing Drift have got right excellent battery life. As for mounting the GoPro the best mounting I have seen is on the chin bar if your helmet supports it. Again Drift got this right with their slender design and rotating lens.
Lets hope their next Camera addresses the faults and they have listened to customer feedback. Using a USB port for power, connectivity and mic was never a good idea. The port was never designed for it and in real life use it puts a lot of stress on a little bit of plastic.
Tiss why jack ports are so valuable and still in use today even on top end gear.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts