Do you script your vlog?

jaimieNL

Wannabie Member
Dec 21, 2020
I ride a
Bonneville t100
Hi newbie here.

yesterday I tested talking while riding. It’s like talking to myself and I was wondering if I would feel embarrassed or something.

I noticed that talking isn’t so much a problem as to what the hell I’msaying. Ok it was just a test so nothing planned.

But do you script your talk?
I guess there are a lot of different types of motovlogs and therefore many different answers.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
You'll find some people only do one or the other, others do a bit of both. Personally I have only properly scripted one video, but have used notes for others. I do have a longterm video I am making which will take years, especially if covid doesn't do one soon :D and that is scripted, but 99% of my videos are me winging it with either a preplanned topic, or just random ramblings

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I typed out a big, long response, but didn't like it - too rambly. So here we go again:

On-bike: mental notes only (although I thought I read somewhere on this site that HippoDrone will write down notes and tape them to his bike to keep himself on topic). If I don't like a take, I'll try again, and try to remember to tell the camera (so I know later) to scrap that last take. This works best if you work backwards to forwards in a video editor.

Off-bike: I've tried scripted, didn't like the results. I stick to written notes now, and refer to them if need-be, just cutting the note-checking from the resulting video.

There, much better. I'm keeping this anecdotal story though:

Amusing side-note. I did about 4 takes of a video I'm working on, and the one with the best video quality was shot at night, with just my GoPro Light Mod for lighting (and overhead dim bulbs LOL), and it also has the most fluid delivery... probably because I was drinking bourbon that night instead of tea ;)

I hope this one comes out as comical as I hope.

At the end of the day, you have to do what works best for you, your viewers, and your editing style. I'll work on a project for as long as it takes to get it "just right" to me, and then I upload it.

-John

jaimieNL

Wannabie Member
Dec 21, 2020
I ride a
Bonneville t100
I typed out a big, long response, but didn't like it - too rambly. So here we go again:

On-bike: mental notes only (although I thought I read somewhere on this site that HippoDrone will write down notes and tape them to his bike to keep himself on topic). If I don't like a take, I'll try again, and try to remember to tell the camera (so I know later) to scrap that last take. This works best if you work backwards to forwards in a video editor.

Off-bike: I've tried scripted, didn't like the results. I stick to written notes now, and refer to them if need-be, just cutting the note-checking from the resulting video.

Amusing side-note. I did about 4 takes of a video I'm working on, and the one with the best video quality was shot at night, with just my GoPro Light Mod for lighting (and overhead dim bulbs LOL), and it also has the most fluid delivery... probably because I was drinking bourbon that night instead of tea ;)

At the end of the day, you have to do what works best for you, your viewers, and your editing style. I'll work on a project for as long as it takes to get it "just right" to me, and then I upload it.

-John
This makes me want to check your channel.
first thing tomorrow!

jaimieNL

Wannabie Member
Dec 21, 2020
I ride a
Bonneville t100

-John
Whats your channel?

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
This makes me want to check your channel.
first thing tomorrow!

Thanks! Hopefully you find it worthwhile to subscribe to ;)

Whats your channel?

see below

there is a link in his signature on each of his posts! :)

HippoDrone is right... and I keep wanting to acronymize (is that word? Spell-check says so) his name to HD, but then it'd get confused with Harley-Davidson, so I stop myself.

Anyway, here's a free YouTube tip of the week: add "?sub_confirm=1" to your channel's URL and it becomes a link to prompt the user to subscribe to your channel - it literally has a pop-up when the user clicks on it, saying something to the effect of, "Are you sure you want to subscribe to <insert channel name here>?" :D I've started adding this as a link on my blog site (with clear indication in the link text to what exactly it is - something like "click here to subscribe to my YouTube channel") :D

Here's the subscribe link to my channel - now HippoDrone, don't ban me yet!

-John

Reactions: jaimieNL

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Nope, it certainly doesn't show!

-John

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I haven't ever scripted any of my videos, I just talk naturally and fix it all up in editing. A few times I've brought some written notes of talking points and I've pulled over to go over my notes while recording, but I usually don't do that.

I think I want a more natural feel to my vids rather than an overly produced feeling.

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Some vlogs are born as a showerthought. Never come out as well as the thought originally though xD
I'm learning to work more with a baseline for reviews etc, so those could be called skripted?
But that is learning in process.

Most vlogs is just straight from the heart.
And then edited to make somewhat sense xD

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Im sorry but I don’t think the show in my case..
Am I missing something?
Hi Jaimie, it might be your forum settings, you may not have show signatures enabled. Is worth ticking the box as it will allow you to see other members channels etc :)

Here's the subscribe link to my channel - now HippoDrone, don't ban me yet!

-John
That doesn't work for me, I unsubbed and clicked your link and got no prompt to sub

Last edited:

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
I generally make an outline of subjects or topics I want to talk about, and if possible spend a day or two mentally going over what I want to say, before setting off to do my motovlog. Overthinking a motovlog (for me) can make it stale and melodramatic so I leave room for spontaneity or a change of subject depending on what's going on at the moment.

- Wolf

Reactions: YBGuy and jaimieNL

LoneWally

All Season Rider
Aug 29, 2017
Leicestershire
I ride a
2007 Hartford HD125L, 2013 Honda CB500X
I have an usually have an idea on what I want to say but I can honestly say that I usually end going off many tangents. Most have been cut out in editing so its fine. I did use notes on one video but that's it.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I haven't ever scripted any of my videos, I just talk naturally and fix it all up in editing. A few times I've brought some written notes of talking points and I've pulled over to go over my notes while recording, but I usually don't do that.

I think I want a more natural feel to my vids rather than an overly produced feeling.

Yes, this! I think that's why scripting didn't work for me - it was way too dry, although most of my videos come out that way - it's something I'm working on!

Some vlogs are born as a showerthought. Never come out as well as the thought originally though xD
I'm learning to work more with a baseline for reviews etc, so those could be called skripted?
But that is learning in process.

Most vlogs is just straight from the heart.
And then edited to make somewhat sense xD

Haha, "showerthought" - OMG, I totally did this a couple of months ago, and it's my most popular video, with over 1,400 views! I had the idea literally while showering, and after dressing I jotted down some notes, sat in my recliner, and recorded it. Took 20 minutes to jot down notes and record 3 takes, and then about 2.5 hours to edit and add overlays, after which I posted it. It's under 4m in length and literally BLEW UP. I had something like 250 views in the first 6 hours after posting, and then it's garnered about 40-60 views per day since then. Hence why I'm working on a follow-up to it.

Hi Jaimie, it might be your forum settings, you may not have show signatures enabled. Is worth ticking the box as it will allow you to see other members channels etc :)

That doesn't work for me, I unsubbed and clicked your link and got no prompt to sub

You know what, you're right. Google returns multiple results for what should work, but I just tested it, and ?sub_confirm=1 does NOT work, as you found out. "?sub_confirmation=1" DID work for me just now.

There, try that. It even asks me to subscribe.

-John

Arfa

Beginner Biker Adventures
Nov 17, 2020
London
www.beginnerbiker.com
I ride a
Yamaha FZ6
You know what, you're right. Google returns multiple results for what should work, but I just tested it, and ?sub_confirm=1 does NOT work, as you found out. "?sub_confirmation=1" DID work for me just now.

There, try that. It even asks me to subscribe.

-John

Good tip. You can do similar with your Twitter account too with a URL like:

As for scripting, TBH I do almost none. I typically set the camera running perpetually (when I've been using my Drift Ghost X with decent 4+ hrs battery life). I try to shoot other random bits on my phone or by moving the camera around throughout the ride. Back home, I just sift through the footage looking for good bits to piece into a story.

Most of my vids follow the film trailer formula: initial hook, intro, jeopardy, build up, peak, ease out. I feel this works quite well to trip a ride down to a 5-10 min sequence. Longer adventures I tend to just present as a chronological sequence of days, though I'm sure this could be done better.

What I do script, however, is any narration I want to do. I'm rubbish at talking ad-lib, always mince my words, lose my thought train, pause, errm-ahh etc. I get better results from writing a script, then reading it through a few times to get the intonation and rhythm right.

Dewey316

Dewey|Rides
Oct 1, 2020
I ride a
BWM F800gs / DR650 / Honda CM450E

FYI, when I use my phone, I don't see signatures, when using my PC, I do. I have the setting checked to see them, even on my phone. I think it is a mobile device issue, you are probably having the same issue.

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Haha, "showerthought" - OMG, I totally did this a couple of months ago, and it's my most popular video, with over 1,400 views! I had the idea literally while showering, and after dressing I jotted down some notes, sat in my recliner, and recorded it. Took 20 minutes to jot down notes and record 3 takes, and then about 2.5 hours to edit and add overlays, after which I posted it. It's under 4m in length and literally BLEW UP. I had something like 250 views in the first 6 hours after posting, and then it's garnered about 40-60 views per day since then. Hence why I'm working on a follow-up to it.

Mine are often recorded a day or 2 later, when i'm riding again.
And then it is hard to remember it all...
Or in the right order...

• Haha
Reactions: HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
FYI, when I use my phone, I don't see signatures, when using my PC, I do. I have the setting checked to see them, even on my phone. I think it is a mobile device issue, you are probably having the same issue.
Ahh that is interesting, TBH, I only rarely use my phone to use the forum, so have not noticed if that is an issue....

.... yup, is the same for me, on my Android phone, it doesn't show the signatures.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dillon159 General Discussion 3
Dillon159 General Discussion 11

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts