DJI Osmo Action 3 - does anybody use one?

whiskthrot

Wannabie Member
Jan 17, 2023
I ride a
snowmobile
Hey ya'll, just curious about newer tech (specifically for motovlogging). I saw the DJI Osmo Action 3 lists for $329 and the Hero 11 Black is still $400+ in many different places. I'm not interested in the Mini version of the Hero 11, which is the only sub-$400 camera they currently have in the 11 lineup.

More specifically... I am interested in the DJI Osmo 3 as it seems like a hell of a contender to GoPro action cameras. I currently run a GoPro Hero 6 Black with their mic adapter and a Purple Panda microphone, but it appears DJI has some sort of wireless microphone mod that you can pair with the Osmo 3. I'm looking for general feedback on the Osmo 3 itself; I can spend hours on YouTube looking at videos of the camera, but I want input from a motovlogging standpoint purely.

One *majorly* attractive feature from DJI's camera is they state their battery lasts the longest out of all action cameras in freezing temperatures. That is nearly enough of a selling point alone, but would love a little more input.

Edit: all prices listed in USD.

PhilTonic

English Kraut
Aug 17, 2014
I ride a
KTM 690 SMC R
I've ordered one end of last year but it had the infamous focus issue. Sent it back and didn't bother to order a new one. Why? I have followed the topic for a while. Maybe one or two months and DJI haven't even acknowledged that there most likely was a misalignment of lenses with certain units. Instead they boosted the sharpness via firmware, not actually adressing the issue.

It's a shame, since the spec sheets was really inviting.

Maybe they've fixed it, no idea. Been sticking to Hero 7 or One X2 since then.

Reactions: Drakhen99

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I've read that the image quality on the Action 3 isn't as good as GoPro, so I didn't jump at it. That, and the lens issue.

FWIW, I checked yesterday, and the Hero 11 is $349 on GoPro's web site... with a new subscription. So, not sure if they're charging you at checkout for the sub.

I do know some folks have had problems with the 11, I don't own one though... I have had problems with my 9 and 10. Shame really, because other than a few [sometimes critical] issues, the GoPros are really nice cameras for what we do.

All that said, I went out Monday for a ride, and my 8, 9, and 10 all worked flawlessly for the 1.5-hour ride I took. Recorded lots of clips, and got the right audio and everything. It was magical, I tell ya!

-John

• Love
Reactions: whiskthrot

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I've watched a few vids with the DJI, it has a very weird fisheye effect, which looks terrible as it distorts the footage so much when moving your head from side to side as we motorcyclists tend to do a lot. It might have just been a setting that channel was running, but it put me off even considering them. I currently love my Hero 10, and with the white GoPro endurance batteries, I often only need to swap out once in a days riding, sometimes not at all, with how I record my content. I don't like the Media Mod though, and currently use the microphone adaptor from the 5/6/7, as it works best for my use and setup.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I've watched a few vids with the DJI, it has a very weird fisheye effect, which looks terrible as it distorts the footage so much when moving your head from side to side as we motorcyclists tend to do a lot. It might have just been a setting that channel was running, but it put me off even considering them. I currently love my Hero 10, and with the white GoPro endurance batteries, I often only need to swap out once in a days riding, sometimes not at all, with how I record my content. I don't like the Media Mod though, and currently use the microphone adaptor from the 5/6/7, as it works best for my use and setup.
I've heard about that too, @HippoDrone - that fisheye effect. It's bad on some GoPro settings too - IIRC, SuperView does it.

As for the Enduro batteries - they are a game-changer for me - LOTS more time on a single battery for my 9 and 10! Almost as good as the non-Enduro Hero 8 battery ;)

-John

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I've heard about that too, @HippoDrone - that fisheye effect. It's bad on some GoPro settings too - IIRC, SuperView does it.

As for the Enduro batteries - they are a game-changer for me - LOTS more time on a single battery for my 9 and 10! Almost as good as the non-Enduro Hero 8 battery ;)

-John
I've not noticed the same effect with Superview myself.
Hahaha.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Hahaha.
I'm pretty sure in the video I saw, the creator was comparing the Action 3 to a Hero 10 or 11, and he faced a brick wall, which showed the differences in fisheye quite well. I thought it was a clever move, and I stuck it in my back pocket for a just-in-case-i-need-to-test-fisheye video :D

FWIW, if anyone wants to do a comparo vid or something along these same lines, sitting on your bike in each lens mode and showing how far the frame stretches, is also effective. I've done THAT one before.

-John

Reactions: HippoDrone

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
Hahaha.
Superview on my Hero 8 has a very slight fisheye effect at the left and right edges at 2.7K, but it's so slight I don't mind it. At 4K the effect is more pronounced, but I rarely film that high.

rudeboy

Wannabie Member
Oct 12, 2012
Thailand
I ride a
CRF250L
Check out wheelie good TV on youtube he uses the dji action 3 and the dji wireless mic set up for motovlogging and thinks its the best set up he's ever used, he's also a professional TV camera man so knows his stuff, he's just started a new series on best motvlog set ups / settings etc, worth a watch.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Check out wheelie good TV on youtube he uses the dji action 3 and the dji wireless mic set up for motovlogging and thinks its the best set up he's ever used, he's also a professional TV camera man so knows his stuff, he's just started a new series on best motvlog set ups / settings etc, worth a watch.
Dave is a really nice chap, he had a lot of issues with his GoPro cameras, so I don't blame him jumping ship for DJI

whiskthrot

Wannabie Member
Jan 17, 2023
I ride a
snowmobile
I think next season/winter I'll give one a try. Worst case scenario, I use it as a b-roll camera and not my main cam. Will probably *still* end up ordering a newer GoPro as well. Thanks for the responses, guys.

UncleL

Uncle LongBeard
Feb 29, 2020
Midlands, UK
I ride a
HD, W800, RE
hmm, I don't know why would you use fisheye mode first. I wouldn't call that a problem, but the image quality is. I actually don't have action 3 but 2, but it is the same spec camera and I suspect same sensor. They brought 10bit to action3 which makes it a bit better but still there are some minor issues. Dji lacks colour in the shadows, images tend to be desaturated in darkish areas, also there is no sharpness control, so in A2 you have a bit blurry images but in A3 a bit oversharpened. And finally, DJI cams have a lower dynamic range which is quite important on motorcycles. They however allow you to use external mic without expensive mic adapter. And that is good thing but you need really quiet mic as the mic levels are too high there and you can only increase volume in camera but not set it to '-'

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
hmm, I don't know why would you use fisheye mode first. I wouldn't call that a problem, but the image quality is. I actually don't have action 3 but 2, but it is the same spec camera and I suspect same sensor. They brought 10bit to action3 which makes it a bit better but still there are some minor issues. Dji lacks colour in the shadows, images tend to be desaturated in darkish areas, also there is no sharpness control, so in A2 you have a bit blurry images but in A3 a bit oversharpened. And finally, DJI cams have a lower dynamic range which is quite important on motorcycles. They however allow you to use external mic without expensive mic adapter. And that is good thing but you need really quiet mic as the mic levels are too high there and you can only increase volume in camera but not set it to '-'
Good info there mate! :cool:

PhilTonic

English Kraut
Aug 17, 2014
I ride a
KTM 690 SMC R
I gave the Action 3 another try and I'm very pleased now!

I sent the first one back (10/2022) because it was clearly out of focus. A few days ago I ordered the Adventure Combo again and received a 03/2023 unit. The focus looks good to me now.

Of course audio is a big concern and I didn't want another adapter orgy in my helmet. I found a USB-C microphone that connects straight to the camera with no adapters required. One cable and you're done. The audio is spot on as well.

For the english speaking audience I've added english title, description and subtitles. You can find the video on my channel. See signature.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Is it just me or can we not see signatures anymore? I’m using an iPhone
Might be a phone thing - I can see them on my computer.

-John

Reactions: GIZZ

lonerockz

Wannabie Member
Mar 23, 2023
California
I ride a
BMW R1250 GSA, Triumph Tiger Explorer, Yamaha Nmax 125
I've been pulling my hair out as I try to get reasonably good audio on the bike at speed. I look at the recommendations for the Osmo Action 3 and on the surface it seems to be much better at dealing with audio on the bike.

However, I have to be honest the Video quality vs. the Hero 11 just seems kinda lackluster. Is it just me? I see a lot of digital noise in the image when a bike is moving at speed.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts