Honda VTX 1300R
Like my MSF instructor said... "Look where you want to go." :D

ScootWook

Wannabie Member
Aug 31, 2016
I ride a
2013 Kawasaki ZX6R
SLPR
Just thought I'd add this important tip to new riders with little to no experience. I had a friend get in a wreck last week while entering a routine corner. MAKE SURE YOU BRAKE AND SLOW DOWN BEFORE A CORNER AND NOT WHILE CORNERING. If you must brake while cornering attempt to slow down by releasing the throttle and not using the brake or at most only use the rear brake. My friend had his bike for a week and only had his permit. He entered the corner going a little too fast and used both brakes while cornering. As a result (mainly because of the front brake) the bike threw him over the other side of the bike and off the road. Luckily he only suffered minor injuries but the bike unfortunately suffered more. When you become more comfortable with braking and using both brakes maybe you can use both, but an experienced rider will slow before the corner and accelerate through the corner. Additionally, I STRONGLY recommend taking a riding class to people with little or zero experience. Even though the majority is common sense, you will learn little things like this and it will save you and your bike. Ride safe.

SLPR bro---Slow Look Press Roll...works everytime!

2WL

Dan & lurch are inspiring
Dec 17, 2016
South West
I ride a
Suzuki GSR750
Cornering,

no breaking if possible in the corner if possible, if needed use your rear brake, but most importantly use your head and enter the corner at the right speed :)

If you feel your self falling then lean in more and hang of the side...worst case is you low side

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
I agree. I prefer counter-steering when it comes to hitting a curve. I tend to enter from the outside to give me a deeper look around the curve, sight for the vanishing point along the horizon to get a better sense of how steep the curve is, then apply pressure to the control bar side I’m turning on. Over the past year I’ve been working on throttle finesse which is to take 90 degree turns without the need to apply brakes. I’m getting better at it, but every situation is different and sometimes brakes are needed.

- Wuf

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
When I counter-steer I generally add more power to correct over-leaning if necessary. Adding power at the apex of the curve can keep the bike steady. Not always possible because it also depends on the road’s condition, as well as what’s in front of me - other vehicles, road hazards, etc. .... .

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
Always amuses me, when I countersteer.

I wouldn't want to try positive steering above a running pace ;)

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
Are quad bikes really bikes, or more of the cart family? Yeah, I was taught to straighten your bike on a curve before applying the brakes, especially if it’s an emergency stop or down you go.

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
EDcase, I agree. I was being a little ironic and quoting the name of a thread from the Advride forum. Can’t say if I’ve hit a perfect line, but when it feels great there’s noting like it. I have a lot of favorite curves that make a ride worth it when dealing with landsharks, and pass- holes on my daily commute.

Reactions: EDcase

2WL

Dan & lurch are inspiring
Dec 17, 2016
South West
I ride a
Suzuki GSR750
NA with you all on that quads aren't bike.

On the braking side of things, I never use the front brake in the corners only the rear! However some of these new bikes r1, zx10r, gs1200 ect have cornering abs which stops you locking the wheel and apparently doesn't make you sit up in the corner. some of the test I've seen have seen people grab a handfull of front brake in the corner and be fine, no way would I have the balls how to do that though

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
So true. I think of the road as a living thing that changes from day to day. I had a crash about a year ago when going to McDonalds a mile away from my home. An 18-year old kid in his dad’s car pulled a left hand turn in front of me. I was lucky to turn in the opposite direction and miss hitting him, but down I went. Woke in the hospital with 4 broken ribs, road burns, and a snapped front tooth (despite wearing a full face helmet). Because it was a quick trip I’ve made hundreds of times I wasn’t wearing my riding jacket (plus it was hot) and assumed the way would be safe.

Won’t do that again.

I’m better now (tooth looks perfect too). Thankfully I had full insurance which didn’t make it things nice for the other guy.

- Wuf

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
Laugh if it's someone else?

lupin

2016 Solar Bear Champion.
Jul 5, 2015
Australia
www.imlupz.com
I ride a
FZ1N
I remember many years ago when doing my licence, at the end they asked if there were any questions.
One guy puts his hand up and asks why we weren't taught how to counter steer.
The instructor rolled his eyes and asked if he actually knew what it was and how to do it.
It was about then the penny dropped with the guy.

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
A lot of riders seem to not know what it is, how to use it, or that it works. I’ve always found it to be the best part of riding.
You can control a 400 lb and higher bike with a push of the wrist.

- Wuf

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts