Cornering

KruznW/Kev

Wannabie Member
Apr 10, 2016
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 600
Just thought I'd add this important tip to new riders with little to no experience. I had a friend get in a wreck last week while entering a routine corner. MAKE SURE YOU BRAKE AND SLOW DOWN BEFORE A CORNER AND NOT WHILE CORNERING. If you must brake while cornering attempt to slow down by releasing the throttle and not using the brake or at most only use the rear brake. My friend had his bike for a week and only had his permit. He entered the corner going a little too fast and used both brakes while cornering. As a result (mainly because of the front brake) the bike threw him over the other side of the bike and off the road. Luckily he only suffered minor injuries but the bike unfortunately suffered more. When you become more comfortable with braking and using both brakes maybe you can use both, but an experienced rider will slow before the corner and accelerate through the corner. Additionally, I STRONGLY recommend taking a riding class to people with little or zero experience. Even though the majority is common sense, you will learn little things like this and it will save you and your bike. Ride safe.

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
While in a corner :-
- Using the front brake hard will cause the bike to stand up/go wide
- Grabbing too much front brake will lock the front tire up and low side
- Trail braking with the front brake is possible but you need to manage the amount of brake and the stand up effect (unless you have full floating discs)
- Using the rear brake is NOT advisable, you can easily lock the rear and crash
- Adjusting throttle input can help getting you a tighter line provided you are not target fixated to the opposite lane or at the road surface
- The best is to enter the corner at the decent speed that requires no braking or throttle adjustment mid corner

What possible happened to your buddy was that he was hard on the brakes, felt the rear start to slide out, release the rear brake, rear tire regained traction and did a high side, throwing your buddy off the bike. Being hard on the front brakes while in a turn doesn't result in and endo (flip), that happens usually when bike is straight.

That's my presumption.

SevenCube

KTM RC390 + ATGATT
Dec 28, 2015
I ride a
2015 KTM RC 390, 2011 Yamaha FZ-S
good advice. I'd reccomment to watch the twist of the wrist II made by keith code. also known as the cornering bible. Its a must see before riding for the first time.

I stumbled onto this in a forum. Checked it out. And after that I bought the hard copy and a copy for my kindle. :D That stuff is gold.

lupin

2016 Solar Bear Champion.
Jul 5, 2015
Australia
www.imlupz.com
I ride a
FZ1N
I have to ask what testing is needed to get your licence/permit where you live. I thought it was far too easy where I live but at least they teach you basic stuff like that. Is it just a written course or something.

RoadSprock

Original Vlogs
Mar 7, 2016
United Kingdom
I ride a
KTM 690 Supermoto/ Triumph Speed Triple 1050
I have to ask what testing is needed to get your licence/permit where you live. I thought it was far too easy where I live but at least they teach you basic stuff like that. Is it just a written course or something.

It's pretty strict in the UK, but here some can be grandfathered who have old licences. Like my old man can drive tracked vehicles, tow vehicles, tractors, HGV's, motorcycles etc which all require seperate tests now and he wouldn't have a clue how to drive a tractor/HGV etc lol.. It can't be that easy in the US, but I guess they haven't got much corners in some places :p

KruznW/Kev

Wannabie Member
Apr 10, 2016
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 600

So for Massachusetts, I walked into the registry of motor vehicles, took a 25 question common sense test, and walked out with my permit that enabled me to buy and ride a bike. I couldnt ride at night, with a passenger, or out of state, but I could ride. They need to change that asap. I'm surprised there isnt more stories about newbies getting on a bike with zero experience and killing themselves.

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
I'd not use a YouTube tutorial to learn to ride. It can be a great supplement to learning, but proper training from a proper trainer is the best thing you can get.

Reactions: Shifty

lupin

2016 Solar Bear Champion.
Jul 5, 2015
Australia
www.imlupz.com
I ride a
FZ1N
So for Massachusetts, I walked into the registry of motor vehicles, took a 25 question common sense test, and walked out with my permit that enabled me to buy and ride a bike. I couldnt ride at night, with a passenger, or out of state, but I could ride. They need to change that asap. I'm surprised there isnt more stories about newbies getting on a bike with zero experience and killing themselves.

Well that explains a fair bit as to what went on. At least here you actually have to ride the motorcycle to pass.

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
I'd not use a YouTube tutorial to learn to ride. It can be a great supplement to learning, but proper training from a proper trainer is the best thing you can get.
Twist of the Wrist II is the definitive all you need to know about riding and be a superstar rider, how dare you mock the Cornering Bible!!!!

But seriously, they touch on some really good points, which you can relate to while riding and make corrections as you realize the things mentioned in the video is what you are doing wrong.

LOL. :D

dandoolittle

Site owner, lovely and adorable
Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
Suzuki GSXR 1000 K7 track/race bike
Kawasaki ZX6R 98 race bike
MiniMotos

If it's anything like the UK. We teach how to pass the test and learn the route.... Anything else, you're on your own

Enjoy your 1000cc super sports bike lol

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
But seriously, they touch on some really good points

I don't disagree, there's loads of useful stuff and it disperses a load of the commonly spouted bollocks about steering, although most people still keep spouting crap about how a bike steers...

However, it's a supplemental tool at best. Use it to help your understanding, let someone trained in teaching and observing teach you cornering at a pace suited to you, not how you interpret Keith's wisdom. It's really not aimed at novices, it's aimed at improvers, and if you haven't got cornering basics then you're a novice.

Reactions: SighBored

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
Whoops!

Don't normally allow own videos, but as you're showing how not to do it and made an arse of yourself :)

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts