Chain Cleaning Interval

SalvageSV

Hopes he doesn't crash this month
Feb 18, 2016
Birmingham, AL
I ride a
Salvaged SV1000S
When I set up my tension I did it wrong. The manual says to go full tight, then loosen to spec. I'm doing that plus a clean and lube this week.

BurntRuber

Burnt Rubber TV
Apr 8, 2016
Florida
I ride a
DRZ400SM and random stuff people let me ride
i do mine every once in a while when i feel like it. probably 2k miles or so. my chain is still good with about 6k miles on it but i did buy a high dollar chain.

RoadSprock

Original Vlogs
Mar 7, 2016
United Kingdom
I ride a
KTM 690 Supermoto/ Triumph Speed Triple 1050
Depends on how much it's ridden and if there's road salt.

Normally once a month so say.. 420-550 miles in terms of cleaning it and adjusting then lubing.

With road salt in the picture around the winter periods, I'll wash the bike down twice a week (no polish or detailing, just the hose) and relube twice that month.

BurntRuber

Burnt Rubber TV
Apr 8, 2016
Florida
I ride a
Depends on how much it's ridden and if there's road salt.

Normally once a month so say.. 420-550 miles in terms of cleaning it and adjusting then lubing.

With road salt in the picture around the winter periods, I'll wash the bike down twice a week (no polish or detailing, just the hose) and relube twice that month.
I'm glad I don't deal with that just salt water lol

RoadSprock

Original Vlogs
Mar 7, 2016
United Kingdom
I ride a
I'm glad I don't deal with that just salt water lol

It's a serious frustration, I wasn't strict a few years ago with it on another bike and it ate through most engine bolts to the point you could crumble them away by touching it and paintwork on the engine. Also footpegs, mirror nuts, barends... It just ate through most metals and then rusts over.

BurntRuber

Burnt Rubber TV
Apr 8, 2016
Florida
I ride a
I've only been in salt road with my car when I lived in Kansas I used to take it to the car was with a under car sprayer and do it a couple times every week. There is a little surface rust under my car. I'm gonna sand blast the whole underside and bedliner it.

RoadSprock

Original Vlogs
Mar 7, 2016
United Kingdom
I ride a
I've only been in salt road with my car when I lived in Kansas I used to take it to the car was with a under car sprayer and do it a couple times every week. There is a little surface rust under my car. I'm gonna sand blast the whole underside and bedliner it.

It's a bike eater here man and under cars I'm sure suffer too!

Mousez

It's a KLR kinda thing.
Apr 30, 2016
I ride a
2013 KLR 650
I clean mine after every offroad ride. And at least once a week for pavement. You would be surprised what crap cakes on so fast on pavement.

nunoajc

Wannabie Member
May 10, 2016
I ride a
Yamaha YZF-R6 MY 03
I never have clean my R6 chain, but i lube it when i ear more noise from the chain. If i do a big trip i try to lube it every 2 fuel tanks. Around 400km. It barely rains where i live so i dont feel the need to clean the chain

BubbleBoy

Wannabie Member
Sep 28, 2015
Hampshire UK
I ride a
CBR 600F
Now I have a bike with a chain... Which means I will need to think about it once in a while.

How often do you relube your chain, and how often do you give it a good clean? Both in terms of time interval and mileage?

Currently it has like a heavy chain grease on it as it came from the dealers.

While I'm at it, at what rate do they stretch? I like to get on with it on a bike, but I don't race it everywhere.

Cheers all!
Every 500 miles. The brush with 3 sides is great. Turn it and you can clean all sides of chain. Muc off chain de greaser is great. Spray on, leave for 5 mins, rinse, wipe and lube!

RideEscape

Wannabie Member
Jun 1, 2016
I ride a
qsdfqsdfqsdf
Ah, the inevitable and never ending chain-cleaning discussion :) First of all, cleaning your chain isn't nearly as important as regularly lubing your chain. Recommended intervals for lubing are generally around every 300-500 km. Or... after every tank fill up :) That said, there are plenty of people out their who lube their chain only ever 1K km, or even less, and their chains don't really wear out that much faster. Motorcycle chains these days are very, very sturdy, and don't require nearly as much maintenance as they did in "the olden days".

Cleaning your chain isn't really necessary. I know this debate is a can of worms and I usually stay away from it. Yes, a clean chain is nicer to look at, but regularly cleaning your chain will often do more bad than good for your chain.

And finally, if you don't like looking after your chain, I highly recommend a chain oiler. There are many different types and manufacturers. I personally am very happy with my Tutoro one. Google it. Works a treat. No more lubing - and hardly any cleaning - required. I talk about the Tutoro in my Walkaround vid on my Youtube channel, if you're interested, though I really don't say anything that you can't find by just Googling the oiler. I also used to own a ScottOiler E-system, which worked well. But I strongly prefer the Tutoro for its simplicity. No faffing about with wires to the battery and the display etc... :rolleyes: Keep sh*t simple ;)

That's all I have to say on the subject. Everyone has their own habits when it comes to chain maintenance. I used to be in the "clean regularly" camp. I can now tell you from experience that it makes no difference whatsoever, if anything it wears your chain out faster if you don't use the right cleaning products.

XeonGhos7

Rookie Rider
Sep 5, 2016
India
xeonghos7.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSX-150F
Diesel for cleaning since my manual specifically states not to use Kerosene

And Motul chain lube for lubing the chain.

Lube the chain every 500kms and clean and lube every 1000kms

If riding in the rain, the above values decrease slightly depending on how fit I find the chain on inspection

DFG

Dat Foreign Guy
Dec 26, 2016
North Carolina
I ride a
2015 Suzuki Hayabusa
Man, I there is a long gravel road that leads to my house so my chain doesn't stay clean very long because of all the dust that the lube picks up. So I just clean it when it's dirty lol I don't look at the mileage.

I use the Motul Chain Lube and CleanUp Chain Cleaner I picked up from the local Cycle Gear store.

Chandrajit

Wannabie Member
Dec 26, 2016
Kolkata, India
OneLivingLife.in
I ride a
Bajaj Pulsar 200NS
Now I have a bike with a chain... Which means I will need to think about it once in a while.

How often do you relube your chain, and how often do you give it a good clean? Both in terms of time interval and mileage?

Currently it has like a heavy chain grease on it as it came from the dealers.

While I'm at it, at what rate do they stretch? I like to get on with it on a bike, but I don't race it everywhere.

Cheers all!

750 kms interval during general city rides and almost every alternate day during offroads and riding amidst dusty mountains.

Shifty

Motovlogger
Jan 5, 2016
U.K.
shiftyblake.wordpress.com
I ride a
Ducati Multistrada 1200 GT
Nice and simple, check it after each ride, keep it well oiled. Depending on what lube you use depends what dirt sticks. Do it by sight and common sense.

Abay

Wannabie Member
Mar 13, 2017
I ride a
Yamaha MT-25, Yamaha "Vixion" FZ 150
I try to do proper cleaning and lubing everytime I wash my bike, which is once every two weeks, or a little more often if its raining. I only use motorcycle shampoo to clean the chain though, no special cleaner. Is that bad for the chain?

Shifty

Motovlogger
Jan 5, 2016
U.K.
shiftyblake.wordpress.com
I ride a
Ducati Multistrada 1200 GT
Speaking from a high mileage point of view, I never ever cleaned a chain. I used an expensive chain lubricant every ride... covered the lube in wax too in winter. Always tensioned my chain correctly and never ever had to change one or clean one.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts