Chain Cleaning Interval

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
Now I have a bike with a chain... Which means I will need to think about it once in a while.

How often do you relube your chain, and how often do you give it a good clean? Both in terms of time interval and mileage?

Currently it has like a heavy chain grease on it as it came from the dealers.

While I'm at it, at what rate do they stretch? I like to get on with it on a bike, but I don't race it everywhere.

Cheers all!

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
Adding to that, what do you recommend as chain cleaning kit? I've seen those brushes with two jaws to cleans two sides of the chain at one, also seen MucOff's chain cleaning aerosol attachment which looks fun, but probably a gimmick, but if it means less mess, I'd consider it.

BbqRider

Wannabie Member
Aug 30, 2015
I ride a
Suzuki DR650
I can't give you a good idea of mileage, as my use is a bit more "extreme" than normal. But I've been told to clean and lube it every 1000km or so. I do mine every 250km. Maybe a quick lube once a week and then a proper clean and lube once a month?

I use Motul Chain Cleaner and then Off-road Chain Lube. The cleaner works reasonably well, but it does require some scrubbing with a wire-brush and a good wipe-down with a rag (my chain always requires this regardless of what cleaner I use). Depending on your type of chain, you can make your own chain cleaner with commercial degreaser, water and a few teaspoons of strong solvent like paraffin (don't know what you call it overseas), but do this at your own risk, as I've heard strong solvent can interfere with the grease inside the chain O-rings

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
Cheers. I've no idea what they used on it, so I guess I'd need to clean it off and start again with a lube I was going to use. I'm thinking of getting a Scottoiler or Tutoro to ensure it's always lubricated.

carlsant1

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Honda CBR900RR 1996
Adding to that, what do you recommend as chain cleaning kit? I've seen those brushes with two jaws to cleans two sides of the chain at one, also seen MucOff's chain cleaning aerosol attachment which looks fun, but probably a gimmick, but if it means less mess, I'd consider it.

WD-40 Chain cleaner, Wurth Chain Wax.
Once a week in bad weather, and if not then whenever it looks dirty clean it but lube it every few weeks if using wax.

I have always used wax instead of wet lube as it doesn't fling off as much and when its warm it doesn't just fall off it.
Doesnt look as pretty though as its a really obvious white substance on the chain.

Ideally dont use brushes as it can damage the O-rings but if its really caked on then its useful to get it clean.

Chain tension is something that is unique to bikes and rider. Just check it every time you get on by wiggling it with your foot.
You will feel instantly if your chain is too slack while riding also.
Always handy to have a small can of wax under your seat too for longer trips.

SwissMotard

The Swiss Motard
Sep 19, 2014
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple
I lube it whenever I put it back in the garage. Little and often is the key.

I clean, inspect and adjust every 2 weeks if it's used regularly and once a month if not.

I hate chain wax as it attracts a lot of crap and turns into an abrasive paste after a while, and it's very hard to clean off. I use Castrol chain lube.

I got given a free Tutoro (yay for YouTube channels!) so I'll see how that goes in spring.

carlsant1

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Honda CBR900RR 1996
I lube it whenever I put it back in the garage. Little and often is the key.

I clean, inspect and adjust every 2 weeks if it's used regularly and once a month if not.

I hate chain wax as it attracts a lit of crap and turns into an abrasive paste after a while, and it's very hard to clean off. I use Castrol chain lube.

Yes that is the downside to wax, i tend to clean it fairly often though so doesnt become a big issue for me. I tend to end up using like half a can of chain cleaner to get the job done.

SwissMotard

The Swiss Motard
Sep 19, 2014
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple
Yeah it's personal preference with oil vs wax. The downside of oil is the fling and that you have to apply it more often.

Reactions: carlsant1

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
Well, I've got a black bike ;)

Is wax the same as dry lube, or different again? Stuff on my chain now seems heavy.

If I go with an automatic oiler then I'm going to need to use oil after cleaning I take it?

So Carl, if you're against brushes for all but stubborn muck, how do you clean? Spray and wipe?

carlsant1

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Honda CBR900RR 1996

Is wax the same as dry lube, or different again? Stuff on my chain now seems heavy.

If I go with an automatic oiler then I'm going to need to use oil after cleaning I take it?

So Carl, if you're against brushes for all but stubborn muck, how do you clean? Spray and wipe?

It is different as far as I'm aware, couldn't tell you how but I've seen the same company selling both dry lube and wax so I'm guessing so.
Automatic oiler can be bad in the long run as can overlube your chain and make it stretch more, and for the hassle and cost of it its just easier to do it manually.

And yeah just spray and wipe, but I use quite a bit of cleaner. Alternatively use a really strong degreaser will clean it lovely.

If you use a good chain cleaner then you wont need any brushes.

SwissMotard

The Swiss Motard
Sep 19, 2014
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple

With an automatic oiler just put it on bleed mode after cleaning and rotate the chain 2-3 times.

Reactions: Lurch

thunderous71

Daddy
Aug 4, 2011
Surrey
www.thunderous71.com
I ride a
Mt-09
Ride most days all year round, clean about once every other month but lube once a week. As you know chains do not stretch they just wear out the chain and the sprockets so loosen up a little. I will adjust that out maybe twice in its life time. Chain / sprockets last about 30k for me.

Reactions: Lurch

lupin

2016 Solar Bear Champion.
Jul 5, 2015
Australia
www.imlupz.com
I ride a
FZ1N
Umm to be honest I clean and lube my chain once every time I think when did I last do my chain.

I'd love to say it was every so many tanks of fuel or so many km. But most of the time it's when I can hear it when pushing the bike out of the garage.

I use kero to clean it and motul chain paste.

I really should just get a oiler.

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
Thankfully I have a centre stand :)

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
I have an ABBA stand (doesn't play music tho) ;)
After you use the Abba stand, does your bike fly like an Eagle? But I have a centre stand, I do, I do, I do. Question is, Does Your Mother Know? Anyway, though of the Abba puns, at least it makes you One Of Us.

jthomas

jthomas1310
Jan 9, 2016
Australia
I ride a
2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
I've always been taught to do a clean and grease every 500kms or after some wet riding. Its usually 2 or 3 weeks riding for me, so she gets a wash after degreasing the chain, then gets a grease. All set for her next thrashing lol

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
Damn handy that's for sure. Well worth the investment, especially since the adapters can be changed if you change bike.

Not sure is the ST will take one or not, although like I say it has a centre stand anyway. Only thing compared to the Deauville, it's really nose heavy on it. Dear I could lift one handed to sing the front wheel.

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
I need to go shopping for some bits for cleaning and lubing. If I get an oiler it won't be immediate, so might look at a heavier grease for now as it'll protect better in the wet as it's less likely to wash off. That make sense, or is my reasoning flawed?

ChunksLife

Chunk
Jan 1, 2016
Bognor Regis
www.youtube.com
I ride a
aprilia rs4
i personally use muck off chain lube and cleaner i like the silicone based wax plus it smells like sherbet i clean and re lube my chain every time i clean my bike the stretch in a chain depends on what kind of chain and how you ride and distance so i cant suggest when you tighten it i check my chain before i ride to see the slack .

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
I am the worst when it comes to cleaning chain, but I do lube it regularly. I use the Q-Plus chain lube. Cheap, works well, doesn't get your under-tail all dirty with oil flicks. Currently running the chain for more than 32k kms, still going strong, but about time for a replacement, mainly due to the sprocket wearing down, but the chain itself is in good condition.

However I will changing the entire set, chain and sprockets when the time comes.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts