Bilingual Motovlog? Subtitles? To Do Or Not To.

Motorpsych

Wannabie Member
Feb 27, 2016
Japan, near Tokyo
I ride a
Honda VTR250
...That is the question. Just curious have you tried making a motovlog in two languages? As an experiment I thought of making my maintenance videos in English and Japanese. With running translation to see if it'll teach more viewers. I just uploaded my first English tutorial with Japanese subtitles. Personally, I th this might be the best combination.
We'll see how it goes.
Any thoughts?

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
I had sometimes that i spoke Dutch during a English vlog. If it can't be missed it is going to be subtitled (busted parts etc)

Reactions: Motorpsych

SalvageSV

Hopes he doesn't crash this month
Feb 18, 2016
Birmingham, AL
I ride a
Salvaged SV1000S
I watch a few guys that will do rough subtitles in English or another language. I think it helps. I've watched vlogs in foreign languages with subtitles that I wouldn't have watched otherwise.

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
I heard you can enable option in YouTube for other users to contribute subtitles to your video in different languages. Haven't checked it out. Could be a good option.

F4celess

Cold
Dec 20, 2015
I ride a
Yamaha Fazer
I considered subtitling my vlogs in English and just speak Norwegian for the audio. I'll wait till I get some usable data on my audience first. If most of them are Norwegian I would do that, if not, I'll stick to speaking English.
It comes down to what my target audience is and what my actual audience is.

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
You can submit subtitles to YT for inclusion. I don't know if YT will then translate in to other languages or not though

Reize

2 Wheeled Islander
Jan 20, 2016
Singapore
www.reizeprimus.tk
I ride a
DRZ400SM / Shadow 400 ACE / ZX6R
I considered subtitling my vlogs in English and just speak Norwegian for the audio. I'll wait till I get some usable data on my audience first. If most of them are Norwegian I would do that, if not, I'll stick to speaking English.
It comes down to what my target audience is and what my actual audience is.
That is if you can take the time to subtitle your Norwegian vids into English, which is a pain in the ass IMO. Otherwise you'll be limiting yourself to Nordic viewers, since no one except Swedish, Finnish and Norwegian speakers can understand you at all.

And if you ain't big enough, it's hard to get a fan who is willing to contribute subs for you.

F4celess

Cold
Dec 20, 2015
I ride a
Yamaha Fazer
no one except Swedish, Finnish and Norwegian speakers can understand you at all.

Fact is, Swedes and Danes hardly understand Norwegian. Unless I speak perfectly clean and slow, with no dialect.
They do know English well enough though. So it would take a quite significant amount of Norwegian traffic to steer me over to Norwegian in the audio. At that point I'd probably be able to figure out the subbing part.
Alternatively, I could spend a fraction of the time spent on subtitles to make a whole extra video, with the same message, but in the other lingo.

Sorry for hijacking thread btw, hopefully some of what I said applies to OPs question.

Motorpsych

Wannabie Member
Feb 27, 2016
Japan, near Tokyo
I ride a
Honda VTR250
Fact is, Swedes and Danes hardly understand Norwegian. Unless I speak perfectly clean and slow, with no dialect.
They do know English well enough though. So it would take a quite significant amount of Norwegian traffic to steer me over to Norwegian in the audio. At that point I'd probably be able to figure out the subbing part.
Alternatively, I could spend a fraction of the time spent on subtitles to make a whole extra video, with the same message, but in the other lingo.

Sorry for hijacking thread btw, hopefully some of what I said applies to OPs question.
This is good. I've gone through a similar thought process. Just wanted to get other motovloggers thoughts on it, so this is great.

SevenCube

KTM RC390 + ATGATT
Dec 28, 2015
I ride a
2015 KTM RC 390, 2011 Yamaha FZ-S
This is good. I've gone through a similar thought process. Just wanted to get other motovloggers thoughts on it, so this is great.

I personally like the idea because I want to try the same thing. I speak Japanese so I've been considering maybe eventually doing vlogs in Japanese too.

Motorpsych

Wannabie Member
Feb 27, 2016
Japan, near Tokyo
I ride a
Honda VTR250
I personally like the idea because I want to try the same thing. I speak Japanese so I've been considering maybe eventually doing vlogs in Japanese too.
How long were you in Japan for? That would be cool to have someone from India speaking in Japanese. Yattekudasai.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO