Best beginner camera for under $100?

Sarahhh24

Wannabie Member
Apr 2, 2018
I ride a
Yamaha R1
Completely new to this. I’m looking for the best budget beginner camera. Help!

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
What do you want it to do, do you want it to have an external microphone that you can run into your helmet? What is your budget? :)

Sarahhh24

Wannabie Member
Apr 2, 2018
I ride a
Yamaha R1
What do you want it to do, do you want it to have an external microphone that you can run into your helmet? What is your budget? :)
I would like to just start out with a basic camera. I’m not super tech savvy haha. No mic or anything yet. I’d like to get one for under $100.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I don't know about how good these are, but here is an article which may be helpful:

https://consumerhelp.guide/best-action-camera-under-100/

What you want is a super wide angle lens that can record at 1080p 60fps to be able to cope with the speeds bikes go. Some folk say 30fps is fine, and if that is what your budget can stretch to then it is, but you can get some pretty good 60fps action cameras now for sub $100
Battery life is also important, so you will want a camera with a good battery if it is fixed and at least 1hrs life on a changeable battery at the above settings to be useful so you can get a decent ride in before having to change it. The audio will be poop with the mic exposed to the wind so unless it supports an external mic you will probs only be able to make music motovlogs which aren't everyones cup of tea and might restrict your audience. Just because you fit a mic in the helmet, doesn't mean you have to talk to it, it just means you can reduce wind noise so it sounds good and you can hear the bike engine (and you would also be able to speak into it if you wanted to do so in the future! :)

LoneWally

All Season Rider
Aug 29, 2017
Leicestershire
I ride a
2007 Hartford HD125L, 2013 Honda CB500X
I used an SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi buefore going to the Drift Ghost S after changing helemts. Its a great camera for just recording but it dosen't have a external mic port so for motovlogging you'd need a voice recorder.

I still have it and just use it for another angle from time to time

Sarahhh24

Wannabie Member
Apr 2, 2018
I ride a
Yamaha R1
I don't know about how good these are, but here is an article which may be helpful:

https://consumerhelp.guide/best-action-camera-under-100/

What you want is a super wide angle lens that can record at 1080p 60fps to be able to cope with the speeds bikes go. Some folk say 30fps is fine, and if that is what your budget can stretch to then it is, but you can get some pretty good 60fps action cameras now for sub $100
Battery life is also important, so you will want a camera with a good battery if it is fixed and at least 1hrs life on a changeable battery at the above settings to be useful so you can get a decent ride in before having to change it. The audio will be poop with the mic exposed to the wind so unless it supports an external mic you will probs only be able to make music motovlogs which aren't everyones cup of tea and might restrict your audience. Just because you fit a mic in the helmet, doesn't mean you have to talk to it, it just means you can reduce wind noise so it sounds good and you can hear the bike engine (and you would also be able to speak into it if you wanted to do so in the future! :)
That’s a great tip. Thanks a lot. :)

Reactions: HippoDrone

lupin

2016 Solar Bear Champion.
Jul 5, 2015
Australia
www.imlupz.com
I ride a
FZ1N
Jump on facebook market place and look for a used gopro. There should be quite a few to choose from around that price.

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
I used an SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi buefore going to the Drift Ghost S after changing helemts. Its a great camera for just recording but it dosen't have a external mic port so for motovlogging you'd need a voice recorder.

I still have it and just use it for another angle from time to time
I can also vouch for SJCAM, I used the previous model, without wifi. All my riding videos, with the current bike, have been done with SJCAM 4000. Though that does not have the 1080p60, still great colors and overall nice video. If you can get a better known brand, used but in good condition, that would probably be preferred though.

Reactions: Sarahhh24

ulijonroth

Roads Await Me
Apr 2, 2018
Istanbul, Turkey
www.yollarbenibekler.com
I ride a
KTM Duke 390
I can also vouch for SJCAM, I used the previous model, without wifi. All my riding videos, with the current bike, have been done with SJCAM 4000. Though that does not have the 1080p60, still great colors and overall nice video. If you can get a better known brand, used but in good condition, that would probably be preferred though.

Bump to SJCAM. I've used SJCAM 5000X model, and it was a sturdy and good camera. If you can go a little over $150, then I can advise you a Xiaomi Yi 4k.

Reactions: Sarahhh24

HeyItsRick

MotoRickyRicardo
Apr 6, 2018
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2017 Harley Davidson Iron 833
I wouldnt say its the "best" camera for under $100 but its pretty decent...
I started with the ActiveOn CX HD Camera, I paid $50 for the camera and waterproof case along with a 3 sticky mounts.
It records 1080p at 30fps and 720p at 60fps.
All in all I was pretty happy with it but had to record audio externally.
I think the activeon camera plus a decent mic wired to your smartphone or other recording device could come in to about $75 if you do it right.

EtalesVlog

e-Tales Travel Vlog
Oct 6, 2018
Greece
www.facebook.com
I ride a
YS125
maybe you've already found an answer..i purchased mijia 4k it is fine you can check my videos on youtube...battery lasts but the main problem is that it doesnt get an external mic..it capturs sound however...i wasn't sure if i could record my voise so almost shouted during my first motovlogs...will test in the city and if you're still interested i'll be back with reviews :)

XesAwan

Wannabie Member
Nov 14, 2018
I ride a
bike

HI, bro I would like to ask for cam with external mic option, I interested in
Mijia 4K Action Camera does it has an external mic option

EtalesVlog

e-Tales Travel Vlog
Oct 6, 2018
Greece
www.facebook.com
I ride a
YS125
HI, bro I would like to ask for cam with external mic option, I interested in
Mijia 4K Action Camera does it has an external mic option
hello I use for my moto and travel vlogs this camera...you can check me at youtube (english subs included) and see at yourself...It has a good image quality a bit shaking but the lack of mic is a disadvantage..although it has a satisfactory mic...I felt I had to shout to be sure that my voice is recorded...It is ok for a beginners camera at this budget...I am waiting for a chin mount to see if it improves..

Reactions: XesAwan

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
Though a limited budget and not a need for an external mic will give you many choices, I would also think about your needed accessories if you want to begin motovlogging. In this case your mounting accessories. Will the camera you purchase give you a few options, and if so are they compatible with others?

GoPro mounts and accessories are the most popular and easiest to find in a number of retail stores. This can save you the (waiting) time of ordering things online if the camera you buy is compatible with other mounts.

I'd also consider an underwater/protective cover if your expect to be caught in bad weather, and not have the camera (always) mounted on your helmet, or travel at speeds above 40 mph.

- Wolf

Reactions: XesAwan

XesAwan

Wannabie Member
Nov 14, 2018
I ride a
bike
hello I use for my moto and travel vlogs this camera...you can check me at youtube (english subs included) and see at yourself...It has a good image quality a bit shaking but the lack of mic is a disadvantage..although it has a satisfactory mic...I felt I had to shout to be sure that my voice is recorded...It is ok for a beginners camera at this budget...I am waiting for a chin mount to see if it improves..

Thank for your message,
I have some question,

What mount you are using and what about noise reduction the wind, how you record your voice it's very good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts