Be mindful of where you are looking (no not another traffic or riding tip)

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
At my job we have been working from home since just a couple of months after the pandemic broke loose in the US. In that time everyone from way up the chain of command all the way through the front line employees have all have had to adapt to using cameras for holding meetings and training.

So how does this apply to us riding and talking?

Well, occasionally we may have to face the camera when not riding such as in an interview. Being mindful of where we are looking is very helpful in making the audience feel part of the video. Have you ever talked to someone looking over the top of your head, or to the side of your head, or even worst - at your shirt. (Did you spill something on it?)

In virtual meetings at my work I see folks looking at another screen off to the side or above the camera. When we as motovloggers are in an interview then the typical tv style position (about 20 to 45* turned) is good.

If you are looking straight on at the camera, then look into the lens but do not stare.

find-you.gif

You see, it is all about technique.

(Top Tip - if you are outside then use sunglasses. This allows your eyes to wander and I know some people feel less self-conscious wearing them. If you are inside, avoid wearing sunglasses so to not come across too weird.)

70c69b1aa753.jpg

Well, ok I guess if you are as cool as these guys were later in life then wearing sunglasses is ok.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
#TopTip

I've been wanting to say words to this effect to many channels I watch, I think they focus on the screen next to the lens rather than the camera lens. And yup, 100% makes you feel as a viewer, like the person is not talking to you.

Last edited:

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
#TopTip

I've been wanting to say words to this effect to many channels I watch, I think they focus on the screen next to the lens rather than the camera lens. Any yup, 100% makes you feel as a viewer, like the person is not talking to you.
It was thanks to a few folks presenting at work that made me think about this and then look at some videos.

I have toyed with the idea of putting a sticky note on the camera with an arrow pointing to the lens and the words "LOOK HERE WHEN TALKING" written on it.

The thread about discovering motovloggers has the video from The Wandering Wasp where she nails the eye contact with the camera.

Now we know that there are cultural differences in making eye contact but overall YouTube tends to be its own subculture.

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
I have quite a bit of online meetings and often with video feed. I usually take the chance, when some kind of presentation starts, to switch off my camera, and then I won't need to worry about where I look, because the camera I have is on the laptop screen edge, but I lift the video presentation to one of the big screens, to not torture my eyes with fine print :D

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
This is a great tip, and a lot of people - not just motovloggers - could gain from it!

I am always having to remind myself to look at the lens and not the preview, whether it's my phone or a GoPro.

Another way to avoid the "not quite" eye contact is to be further from the camera. This lessens the effect of looking slightly left or right of the lens.

FWIW, while dangerous, and not recommended, it really changes things up if you lean in and look directly at your handlebar-/fairing- mounted camera while riding. :D

-John

• Love
Reactions: R-Rated

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
I try to have the camera framing me in a head and shoulders shot for a direct engagement framing. When possible I ride with my sun visor down. The viewer can’t see my face, but I go with the idea that they are the voyeurs on my ride, instead of me talking directly to them.

Having other camera also works for cut away moments while I continue with my voice over narrative. Having eye contact also allows for the set up for the ‘off the look’ edit. This means that if you do look away from the camera to something off screen, then whatever you cut to next is considered to be from your POV.

Editors love theses kind of shots because it gives them a reason to cut. Or in other words, they ask “why am I cutting at this moment? What’s motivating the cut?” An ‘off the look’ shot will do that. It is also very seamless, and you may be surprised at how often it’s used from everything from commercial ads, to TV shows and films.
Keep an eye out for the ‘off the look’ shot.

- Wolf

• Love

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
I try to have the camera framing me in a head and shoulders shot for a direct engagement framing. When possible I ride with my sun visor down. The viewer can’t see my face, but I go with the idea that they are the voyeurs on my ride, instead of me talking directly to them.

Having other camera also works for cut away moments while I continue with my voice over narrative. Having eye contact also allows for the set up for the ‘off the look’ edit. This means that if you do look away from the camera to something off screen, then whatever you cut to next is considered to be from your POV.

Editors love theses kind of shots because it gives them a reason to cut. Or in other words, they ask “why am I cutting at this moment? What’s motivating the cut?” An ‘off the look’ shot will do that. It is also very seamless, and you may be surprised at how often it’s used from everything from commercial ads, to TV shows and films.
Keep an eye out for the ‘off the look’ shot.

- Wolf
@scooterwuf and @LoneWolfer I am thinking "Off The Look" might be a good title for interviews?

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
At least once though we have to find something like a llama and be all serious introducing it then BAM, off the look for a cut to the lla cheing its cud R-Rated hahahahahaha.
I got the "Off The Look" cut away here. Something like this when we stumble mid sentence and look away to have something like this scene

D5O5JLPNJ34K6AGD2R4YC6XZKFS6XMPK.gif

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
There's this short film montage/meme based off the idea of cutting 'off the look' from one of Clint Eastwood's Italian Westerns with clips from other films added in. It's really funny, but crap I can't find it.

This was the closest I could find from one of Eastwood's films.

-Wolf

tjthresh

Wannabie Member
Jun 17, 2022
I ride a
2006 HD Fat Boy
I imagine if you just wear a full face helmet with a dark visor all of the time, this advice doesn't apply?

*Sarcasm*:)

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
Huh, never really thought about looking at the camera while motovlogging. In fact I actively DONT look at it while filming, I've always done my best to pretend the cameras aren't there at all while riding.

Reactions: Drakhen99

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Huh, never really thought about looking at the camera while motovlogging. In fact I actively DONT look at it while filming, I've always done my best to pretend the cameras aren't there at all while riding.
LOL I'm the opposite - I see the camera and want to talk directly into it while riding ... I have to consciously try to not look at it too much - just for emphasizing some of the stuff I say.

-John

Arfa

Beginner Biker Adventures
Nov 17, 2020
London
www.beginnerbiker.com
I ride a
Yamaha FZ6
Guilty as charged here! I'm terrible for darting my gaze everywhere but at the camera, dunno, always just so self-conscious. For work it can be tricky as I'm reliant on my work laptop's built-in camera, but it's my secondary screen that's large and easier to read on, so I invariable always look like I'm staring to the side. It is tricky when you're trying to stay focused on a client, write notes, possibly presenting something or just quickly hunting down some info for them.

I guess we could always do a SnorriCam setup (as popularised by Aronofsky in Requiem for a Dream), that'll nicely keep you focused on the camera, but may freak out the clients at work!

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts