Bad/slow service at local shops

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
So, I try and use local businesses as much as I can for everything, but recently I have been finding that the service locally has been pretty shotty, particularly with a local Motorcycle shop. This shop has failed me three times now and I am on the fence on whether I should do a vlog about the poor experience or simply write a review. I like the owners but holy crap has it been terrible the last few times going in there or even getting them on the phone. I ordered brake pads from them and it took 7 days for the order to come in and it turned out to be the wrong pads (I have a Sporty and they ordered pads for a Big twin). I eneded up just going out to the closest HD Dealer and getting the pads that day. A bit more expensive, but worht the price of having them that day.

I called to get a price on a new clutch cable and the owner said she would look it up and call me back. Called me three days later and said the new one was in and told me my bill. I had only asked for a price and because she didn't call me back that day I bought one off line and got it two days later with regular shipping. So didn't need the part. She sounded annoyed because she was going to have to sit on it or pay to ship it back, but that isn't my problem as I only asked for a price.

And with it being the winter I am getting into some projects that I want to tackle with my two bikes and my father-in-law's bike so I called them to ask about prices and they did not answer. I left a message but never got a return phone call. I also messaged them on facebook with the questions and saw they read the message but never responded.

Part of me wants to leave them bad reviews and put them on blast with my limited reach on all social media. But part of me wonders if I am just spoiled because I can so easily get parts from Revzilla, Cycle Gear, Lowborw Customs and the like quickly and with little effort. What are your thoughts motovlogsphere?

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
So, I try and use local businesses as much as I can for everything, but recently I have been finding that the service locally has been pretty shotty, particularly with a local Motorcycle shop. This shop has failed me three times now and I am on the fence on whether I should do a vlog about the poor experience or simply write a review. I like the owners but holy crap has it been terrible the last few times going in there or even getting them on the phone. I ordered brake pads from them and it took 7 days for the order to come in and it turned out to be the wrong pads (I have a Sporty and they ordered pads for a Big twin). I eneded up just going out to the closest HD Dealer and getting the pads that day. A bit more expensive, but worht the price of having them that day.

I called to get a price on a new clutch cable and the owner said she would look it up and call me back. Called me three days later and said the new one was in and told me my bill. I had only asked for a price and because she didn't call me back that day I bought one off line and got it two days later with regular shipping. So didn't need the part. She sounded annoyed because she was going to have to sit on it or pay to ship it back, but that isn't my problem as I only asked for a price.

And with it being the winter I am getting into some projects that I want to tackle with my two bikes and my father-in-law's bike so I called them to ask about prices and they did not answer. I left a message but never got a return phone call. I also messaged them on facebook with the questions and saw they read the message but never responded.

Part of me wants to leave them bad reviews and put them on blast with my limited reach on all social media. But part of me wonders if I am just spoiled because I can so easily get parts from Revzilla, Cycle Gear, Lowborw Customs and the like quickly and with little effort. What are your thoughts motovlogsphere?

Sorry to see this going on. As someone who had aspirations of being an indy back prior to 2008 and knowing an indy myself - here is how I am thinking before I answer

The brake pad mix up - did they order the wrong ones or did the supplier send the wrong ones despite the paper work?

The cable issue is all on the shop. May be a miscommunication but that happens or may be the customer changes their mind. Either way, the cable should a non-issue and they should never have let you know their displeasure there was not a completed sale. Sounds like they took it personally.

Then the non-response. If they did take the cable issue personally then they are probably ignoring you because of that.

So...keeping liable and slander laws in mind...

I say make a very generic vlog about your dealings with indy shops in general. No names, no places, just experiences. Mix in some examples of great indy service.

As far as you continuing to do business with them - I wouldn't if they took the cable issue personally.

giphy.gif

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Sounds like shoddy customer service, if I were you I'd vote with my feet and not bother with them again. I'd possibly not bother with a video review of them.

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
R-Rated - they straight up ordered the wrong pads. I had sat with them finding the proper ones in the book, and they ordered something with a completely different sku.

And definitely not using them anymore, even if I can see what I want through the window as I drive by. I'm lucky in that I have two HD dealers and 4 Suzuki dealers within 30 miles as well as a Cycle Gear. And Revzilla is in Pennsylvania so when I order from them I have gotten the item the very next day.

I do think I'm going to make a vlog generalizing my experience with poor service from local places as it hasn't been only with this motorcycle shop or just this industry. I'm not saying the customer is always right as I think that is stupid, but a bunch places that are owned by locals just plain suck. One example is a new coffee house opened near me and the coffee is aweful. Very much like that Southpark episode where Tweak's parents place is just garbage coffee and "The Starbucks" opens and everyone is like coffee isn't supposed to smell and taste like trash? How novel! So, yeah, this new local place has coffee that tastes like trash so I still go to Starbucks because I'm basic, and like coffee to actually taste like coffee. Doesn't need to taste great, just palatable.

And as an after thought, when I need to go get something and the local Motoshop is closed (yet again because they decided to take another day off) and the chain store is open, I'm going to be spending my money at the chain/dealer store sadly. And be more inclined to only think of the chain the next time I need something. This particular motorcycle shop is constantly closed even though their schedule says that they should be open that day. And I have a source that tells me regularly that the owners of the shop complain about people buying all their parts online or at chain/dealer stores and how they keep losing business.

Now I'm just bitching, so I'll shut it now.

Reactions: R-Rated

Pooley

Wannabe tractor enthusiast
Nov 19, 2019
Derbyshire
I ride a
2003 Honda Deauville 650
I would avoid a negative video, as a viewer I would want to watch something entertaining and positive, unless it was done in a parody form.

LoneWally

All Season Rider
Aug 29, 2017
Leicestershire
I ride a
2007 Hartford HD125L, 2013 Honda CB500X
I’d see no harm in talking about bad customer experience though personally I wouldn’t name drop. I’d either speak to guy in charge and say what issues you’ve had or like Hippo says vote with your feet

CafeBrakes

Coffee Brakes
Jul 26, 2019
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2018 Yamaha R3
2014 Honda CBR1000RR
Thats very unfortunate to read. Most independent shops are usually very welcoming or I'd assume they do whatever it takes to do good business. It seems like maybe there was a miscommunication issue. I'd give these shops atleast three chances until I give up on them. I personally love to support these local businesses but if they are doing shady business then I'd stay away.

I think you should have a chat with the owner or manager and see if the relationship can be saved between you as a consumer and them as a business. If not, back to online shopping!

Reactions: Pooley

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
I'm having similar problem, but complaining may make things worse as there is essentially only one scooter shop near where I live and work. Back in November I had a new seat bucket put in (though not the seat) the next day as I opened it, placed something in the undersea storage and closed it, one of the 'U' shaped bolts that sets into the seat bucket latches snapped off. The seat was out of alignment to fit onto the locking latch.

I emailed the shop, but no reply. At this time Thanksgiving was coming soon and the end of my teaching semester. I had finals, grades and faculty critiques to attend so the issue was put in the back burner.

Now my battery is essentially dead, and I think it's being slowly drained due to the seat not closing properly. I've emailed the shop twice (calling just gets a message suggesting that you email them) and sent a message on FB as well. Still no reply. I'm getting annoyed and frustrated as the shop is essentially the only one in Philadelphia that specializes in scooters. Our relationship is good, but I need them to get back to me.

A vlog is tempting too, but I'm not interested in bad mouthing them. I just want the problem fixed.

- Wolf

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I'm having similar problem, but complaining may make things worse as there is essentially only one scooter shop near where I live and work. Back in November I had a new seat bucket put in (though not the seat) the next day as I opened it, placed something in the undersea storage and closed it, one of the 'U' shaped bolts that sets into the seat bucket latches snapped off. The seat was out of alignment to fit onto the locking latch.

I emailed the shop, but no reply. At this time Thanksgiving was coming soon and the end of my teaching semester. I had finals, grades and faculty critiques to attend so the issue was put in the back burner.

Now my battery is essentially dead, and I think it's being slowly drained due to the seat not closing properly. I've emailed the shop twice (calling just gets a message suggesting that you email them) and sent a message on FB as well. Still no reply. I'm getting annoyed and frustrated as the shop is essentially the only one in Philadelphia that specializes in scooters. Our relationship is good, but I need them to get back to me.

A vlog is tempting too, but I'm not interested in bad mouthing them. I just want the problem fixed.

- Wolf
Is there a chance they are still on winter break?

FloridaMan

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2018
Polk County, Florida
I ride a
Boulevard s83 & Boulevard s40
I got lucky and have a great motorcycle shop right near by. They treat me well there too as my sister likes to flirt with the owner. I try to do most things myself though as it's still cheaper and I get to learn as I go. Sometimes I just don't have time though.

As for cars/trucks... There is not a single shop in my county I know of that I will let go anywhere near my truck. I have a shop about an hour drive from me that is great though. I'll take my truck to them, they'll look at it for free, tell me how much they change and then tell me how much it cost and how long it would take for me to do it myself. I usually end up doing it myself, but they don't care because I come back to them anytime I need a shop. They know what they are doing and I trust them. The shops in my county though are all crooks. They don't know anything and they will scam the hell out of you. My sister's boyfriend took his truck to a shop for an oil change and they told him that his 2WD truck's transfer case needed the transmission oil replaced. 2WD doesn't have a transfer case, but he didn't know this. He told my sister and she went back with a hidden camera and acting like she didn't know better asked them where the transfer case was on the truck and they continued with the lie pointing randomly under the truck. Who knows what bolts they loosened while they did his motor oil change.
I trust very few people to touch my stuff.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts