Audio recording device?

VetBiker

Wannabie Member
Sep 26, 2021
I ride a
Harley Road Glide and Triumph Bonnie
I have started using a Zoom H1N audio recorder and running a mic into the helmet, it give me a seperate audio file and I have been burned by GoPro . Is there anyone else using a similar set up? My audio is much clearer to me, and much easier to sync for editing.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
You'll get better quality audio doing it this way, but if you can get the GoPro audio to be reliable, then it is a lot simpler and reduces editing time. And with a good setup, the GoPro audio can be great quality.

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Both have the pros and cons. If you don't do multiple stops and starts then a separate device recording audio can work.

But if there are many stops and starts or more than one camera - GoPro with a remote works much better.

Reactions: YBGuy

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
2005 RC51, and a 2004 Honda CBR1000RR
You'll get better quality audio doing it this way, but if you can get the GoPro audio to be reliable, then it is a lot simpler and reduces editing time. And with a good setup, the GoPro audio can be great quality.
Agreed!! GoPro Hero 4 with the Purple Panda all the way. I sacrifice some video quality for better audio and ease of use.

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
I'v tried using a Sony Voice Recorder ICD-PX Series with an Interphone Pro Sound Microphone but it did not really work out because of what was mentioned earlier, too many cuts in my video plus the microphone is mono so I needed to do some post editing to make that work as well.

Reactions: Drakhen99

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Agreed!! GoPro Hero 4 with the Purple Panda all the way. I sacrifice some video quality for better audio and ease of use.
I used a Hero4 with a mic to record the audio portion of the Icky Roarick collaboration with Sebastian. The remote started and stopped both cameras within a split second.

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
I just bought a Zoom H5, and have tested it out with my Pro Sound Microphone in my office. The best way to describe the sound is that it sounds like what I think I sound like wearing a full face helmet (pretty good but a little muffled). I have yet to try it on the road though because it has been raining the last couple days here. But hoping to demo it on the road sometime soon. Also my editing skills have gotten better so with a few beeps of the horn here and some claps there, adding secondary audio from a recorder to a video is not a problem now.

Sample attached, one straight from the recorder, and one that is normalized.

Attachments

• ZOOM0009_Tr1.zip
    6.8 MB · Views: 86

Apr 6, 2018
Am I understanding correctly that the expectation is:

MICROPHONE A plugged into AUDIO RECORDER

creates better quality sound than

MICROPHONE A plugged into MEDIA MOD OR DONGLE of GoPro?

... or just less likely to give aproblem? I don't really understand the benefit.

GIZZ

Wannabie Member
Jul 25, 2017
Canada eh!
I ride a
K5 gsxr 1000
Recoding you’re own audio is easy, cam + mic. Capturing a bunch of co-rider audio is the challenge.

I record straight to the camera through my sena mic. I was using the Bluetooth audio pack with a hero 4, then newer GoPros and DJI cam with same audio pack. I’m totally wired now with HD audio for solo and multivlogs. I’m finally happy with it.

Hrunkaru

Wannabie Member
Feb 3, 2022
I ride a
SV650 & FZ1
Please elaborate on the set-up @GIZZ - do you use Sena mic only, have cable splitter to feed same mic audio to Sena and GoPro?

This would be missing the audio coming from communications system, is that the way you have it or do you also have a way to record Sena audio?

GIZZ

Wannabie Member
Jul 25, 2017
Canada eh!
I ride a
K5 gsxr 1000
It's easy with the sena bluetooth audio pack, I have vids on how to hook it up to a camera that is newer than a gopro 3/4. But the audio pack only allows me to record HD audio for everyone if I use a sena 20s evo, it won't allow multi HD audio on any other sena. So I would now skip this if you are using sena mesh.

So now I'm using a Sena 50R, it's actually easier to wire up any sena with a base, 50s/30k/20s/20sevo. What you do it plug a dual splitter into the sena headphone out, then put one line into your headset then one line into the camera. This works great for a multi vlog, but if recording solo you need sidetone enabled. You can wire around this by adding a stereo breakout splitter pre camera(gopros record stereo external audio) using another mic. It records sena audio on one channel and your audio on another. You can edit the levels in post if needed. Now, if you have a DJI cam like me that only records one audio channel, I'm forced to trick it into sidetone while solo vlogging. I keep a stripped down sena 20s in my pocket off a base with no mic connected, as long as its paired I have sidetone. My favourite DJI cam is finicky with input levels so I'm running an attenuator before it, that was the last major improvement.

I don't have any vids of the latest setup, but soon I hope. It's not done snowing here.

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
Am I understanding correctly that the expectation is:

MICROPHONE A plugged into AUDIO RECORDER

creates better quality sound than

MICROPHONE A plugged into MEDIA MOD OR DONGLE of GoPro?

... or just less likely to give aproblem? I don't really understand the benefit.
A standalone recorder gives you more flexibility. There are gain nobs, compressor settings, low cut, high cut filters (if you want them). But for me it's the gain nobs. Still doing testing, but being able to turn your gains up and down on your microphone is big.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts