Anyone else getting this message from YouTube concerning channels below 1K?!?!

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
It was a great video. For those with not so much time, there is a shortend version but you miss some good points so watch both!

Also, @HippoDrone I was not aware that one of the big YouTube creators you referenced caused some problems.

I think this article shows that not everyone believes the change is good.

https://www.wired.com/story/youtube-monetization-creators-ads/
I think context is key here, this was either poorly written journalism or poorly researched regarding PewdiePie, I'm not going to get all fan boi on him, but his Nazi videos were not pro nazi, they were mocking the fascists and nazis. He is no angel though, he did mess up again since then which I am not defending.
If YouTube continued as they were then the whole thing would fall over and fail utterly so they have to do something to protect themselves and those that generate income and supply income. If this isn't a full or part time job for you, it is a hobby, and very rarely do hobbies pay you to take part in them, generally hobbies cost those participating in them money.

Reactions: Mr. G

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
I think context is key here, this was either poorly written journalism or poorly researched regarding PewdiePie, I'm not going to get all fan boi on him, but his Nazi videos were not pro nazi, they were mocking the fascists and nazis. He is no angel though, he did mess up again since then which I am not defending.
If YouTube continued as they were then the whole thing would fall over and fail utterly so they have to do something to protect themselves and those that generate income and supply income. If this isn't a full or part time job for you, it is a hobby, and very rarely do hobbies pay you to take part in them, generally hobbies cost those participating in them money.

Yeah, just passing on the info. Thanks for the clarification though.

Reactions: HippoDrone

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
Here is somethin to consider.

Yellow Dollar Sign of Death was creating problems because the algorithm is flawed. YouTube hires humans which costs lots of money, times, and resources.

So they find their free public space is too much to police. Do they watch a small creator (doesn't matter genre or topic) or do they watch someone big?

Answer, they cut monetization to the small creators because there are too many and the return on investment per creator is not as great as policing the big creators. This pleases the ad agencies (if none of the big ones get busted for acting out) and it makes the big creators happy because some of them made all those videos of them whining about small creators taking away audience.

The article is still very good pointing out the concern that YouTube is making a poor choice. Big creators started somewhere. Small ones should not be devalued just on arbitrary numbers.

As far as the part about the big creator and the controversial video:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/disney...pewdiepie-after-anti-semitic-posts-1487034533

Btw, if the WSJ asks for a sub to read, you can still pull the full article from a Google search. Nice for Google to give a backdoor to a paywall.

Now perhaps since he staged the sign incident and giving the benefit of the doubt to him, you have to wonder what was the motivation?

To get more views. There was a saying I heard long ago "Great motivation. Piss poor judgement"

Same applies to filming a dead body, riding like a hooligan on camera, and so on.

But now that we see small creators get demonitized, then it seems the danger of people doing something shocking for views will be greater do to a larger population of small creators.

Last edited:

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Absolutely and bad judgement is not an acceptable excuse, which is why PewDiePie lost his partnership with Disney and Logan Paul with YouTube severing their commercial links with him.
Like you said in our video, folk playing up and creating content that will get them views fast will be content that YouTube and their advertisers will not be wanting so those channels would not be able to monetize their content even after reaching the threshold potentially.

Reactions: R-Rated

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
Absolutely and bad judgement is not an acceptable excuse, which is why PewDiePie lost his partnership with Disney and Logan Paul with YouTube severing their commercial links with him.
Like you said in our video, folk playing up and creating content that will get them views fast will be content that YouTube and their advertisers will not be wanting so those channels would not be able to monetize their content even after reaching the threshold potentially.

So, along the line of your point in the video of waffling at the threshold - everyone needs to keep in mind the "email" does state to be reconsidered, the channel would have to meet YouTube standards.

Now we see a possible problem because what tool will they use to determine - humans or the algorithm?

Funny thing is the spoof of our video got the yellow dollar sign and not the full length presentation.

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Likewise, it's a good idea to start making longer videos more frequently because that is the rule of the game. If people are not watching it all the way, then it's up to me to figure out how to engage them throughout.

But that is also not true.
If i semi like a channel and that posts video's that are longer then 9.59 (10 minute mark) i simply won't watch it.

There are maybe 2 or 3 vloggers that i follow where i will watch video's above that mark.
All the other ones i skip those video's and use the time to watch 2 shorter videos from different vloggers.

So making longer videos most likely wont help with your totale minutes watched, and i might even cost you (active) subs.

lupin

2016 Solar Bear Champion.
Jul 5, 2015
Australia
www.imlupz.com
I ride a
FZ1N
Ok let’s to the math on the 4000 hours.
Say you make one video a week.
That’s 76 hours or 4615 mins. If your average watch time is 3 mins then that’s 1538 views that video needs in that time.
So the answer is either make more videos or increase your watch time.

The 1000 subs though. There is no answer to that. My watch time is well past the 4000 hours per a year yet my subscriber count is well below 1000. There are no hard and fast rules to getting subs because everyone likes something different. The only thing that can possibly help it’s a increase in discovery.

Reize

2 Wheeled Islander
Jan 20, 2016
Singapore
www.reizeprimus.tk
I ride a
DRZ400SM / Shadow 400 ACE / ZX6R
But that is also not true.
If i semi like a channel and that posts video's that are longer then 9.59 (10 minute mark) i simply won't watch it.

There are maybe 2 or 3 vloggers that i follow where i will watch video's above that mark.
All the other ones i skip those video's and use the time to watch 2 shorter videos from different vloggers.

So making longer videos most likely wont help with your totale minutes watched, and i might even cost you (active) subs.
Right now, as many other people on YT have pointed out, the 10 minute mark is very useful in establishing your SEO within the Youtube platform.

There are also many kinds of viewers. Some are like you, they cannot tolerate videos longer than X amount of minutes. Some are okay watching hour long videos. Others are like me, middling, and are okay with anything between 10-20 minutes sometimes depending on the content.

From the logical standpoint, unless one really has no desire for the channel to grow, it is better to just play the game, and then hope your viewers are the kinds favoured by Youtube. Otherwise people like C2W, Pewds, and a whole bunch of other creators with an incentive to grow their channels, wouldn't be consistently pumping out long videos.

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Whatever YT is doing will definitely have a change in it's community, but to that end, unless you are banking on the AdSense money to sustain your channel/videos making, or in the hopes to become a celebrity or "social-influencer", I still feel that if you are just a simple person that likes to make videos out of your own satisfaction and want to have a platform to share it on, you can just continue doing so on YT, and on all other platforms as well.

Just continue what you do because you like doing it, forget all the rest.

Unless you are what I mentioned above (absolutely need the money or get famous) then you are screwed.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
cool, so nearly 100hrs plus a decent channel growth on subs too, what was your hour count in the previous month? :)

lupin

2016 Solar Bear Champion.
Jul 5, 2015
Australia
www.imlupz.com
I ride a
FZ1N
So is anyone actually close to the 4000 hours.

I stupidly thought I was fine, but forgot all the analytics are in Minutes not hours.

So I'm kinda screwed this late in the game I think.

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
So is anyone actually close to the 4000 hours.

I stupidly thought I was fine, but forgot all the analytics are in Minutes not hours.

So I'm kinda screwed this late in the game I think.

I checked as well. I'm so far off, its not even a concern to me currently :oops:

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
If I can do 10 subs a day and 100 hours a day for the next 20 days I can make it.

Subbed. I'll watch video or two as well today. Might as well make sure some of us make it. Good luck man, I hope you make it.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Am not too far out on watch time, but am over 500 out on subs. I'm kinda not really bothered about the YouTube Partner Program now, it is possibly out of my reach this year although we never know what is round the next corner with our channels :)

dudeNigel

Wannabie Member
Feb 1, 2018
India
I ride a
Bajaj V15
This was bound to happen someday. I can't blame Youtube for doing this. They made an awesome platform but I hear that they are still running at loss even after all these years.

I think it will help reduce spammers at the least.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts