Advice from BMW for prepping for long rides

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
While watching a Facebook Live event for BMW's GS trophy I heard on of the speakers talk about preparing for the qualifier rides. He explained that long distance riding requires a lot of energy and endurance so his advice was to ride a lot increasing the time in the saddle to build up to riding 7 hours at a time.

With a lot of us having clipped wings from the pandemic, I know that I need to start rebuilding my saddle time just for the rides I like to do US.

Reactions: HRMV

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
While watching a Facebook Live event for BMW's GS trophy I heard on of the speakers talk about preparing for the qualifier rides. He explained that long distance riding requires a lot of energy and endurance so his advice was to ride a lot increasing the time in the saddle to build up to riding 7 hours at a time.

With a lot of us having clipped wings from the pandemic, I know that I need to start rebuilding my saddle time just for the rides I like to do US.
Aye have a fair bit of riding planned for as soon as greenlight is given but reckon first couple may be a bit rusty.

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I worked up to 200 mile day rides over the summer... in 105F temps :D Now, 50-100 miles in the cold is enough LOL.

I watched a MotoJitsu video the other day where he lays out pretty much the same tips... good stuff. He did 1,200 miles in 2 or 3 days.

-John

Reactions: R-Rated

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
I worked up to 200 mile day rides over the summer... in 105F temps :D Now, 50-100 miles in the cold is enough LOL.

I watched a MotoJitsu video the other day where he lays out pretty much the same tips... good stuff. He did 1,200 miles in 2 or 3 days.

-John
When I was 21, I could ride from Ft. Hood Texas to Pheonix Arizona and not feel fatigued too much.

I built myself back up. Then in 2016, on my way back from the west coast I road from Albuquerque to just outside of Nashville. I felt a little achy east Little Rock Arkansas but after some roadside stretches I was good to go.

Now I am prepping for a post pandemic escape ride!

Reactions: Drakhen99

Dewey316

Dewey|Rides
Oct 1, 2020
I ride a
BWM F800gs / DR650 / Honda CM450E
Every summer I do tours that are at least a couple thousand miles. I can tell if I am a little out of riding shape. But, the biggest key for me is to stay ahead of getting fatigued. I try to stop and stretch and drink some water every hour or so. Once you feel sore or dehydrated it is to late.

Doing something like the gs challenge is a lot more physical than most of us do in normal riding. They are covering a lot of miles that are very technical. I usually figure 100-150 miles max on off-road touring days. I try to limit myself to 250-300 mile pavement days. So I have time to stop and take breaks and stay fresh.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Every summer I do tours that are at least a couple thousand miles. I can tell if I am a little out of riding shape. But, the biggest key for me is to stay ahead of getting fatigued. I try to stop and stretch and drink some water every hour or so. Once you feel sore or dehydrated it is to late.

Doing something like the gs challenge is a lot more physical than most of us do in normal riding. They are covering a lot of miles that are very technical. I usually figure 100-150 miles max on off-road touring days. I try to limit myself to 250-300 mile pavement days. So I have time to stop and take breaks and stay fresh.

Dude, the snacks & water are KEY to doing more miles, especially in hot and cold weather. If I'm going more than 50 miles, I take my Harley because it has bags I can store that stuff in.

-John

Arfa

Beginner Biker Adventures
Nov 17, 2020
London
www.beginnerbiker.com
I ride a
Yamaha FZ6
Drinking enough and staying hydrated is super important. I read somewhere that dehydration affects your ability to drive/ride as much as a few pints of beer! However, I then find I need to stop every hour or two for a piss then...

Personally, I won't plan more than 250-300 miles in a day (occasionally done more, but it's a hard slog by end of the day) and I tend to make a quick pitstop every hour or so, even if just 5-10 mins for a drink, sustenance, loo, snap some pics, stretch legs etc. Regular short breaks definitely make a longer ride easier.

Reactions: Drakhen99

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I have definitely noticed that, Arfa! I'll be out all day, taking my breaks & having some water, and be about a 1/2 hour from home and feel dehydrated and a bit weak... usually I just muscle through, but I *have* pulled over for more refreshment. You're right about dehydration & inebriation giving similar results.

-John

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts