A Bit Of Europe

2WV

@2WheelVandal
Feb 25, 2017
South England
I ride a
A motorcycle, silly.
I've been thinking for a while now to do something bold and to tour a bit of europe on my bike. As touring is all new to me i would be looking for some advice from someone with a bit of experience. Also, sadly, the only other person i know who would also want to do this with me cannot now due to a nasty motorcycling accident.

So if you're game and want to tour a bit of europe then doors open, it would be cool to arrange and have a group to go with from here.

A few questions:

• How much roughly would you budget to do... France, Italy, Germany, Switzerland & maybe a few more?
  • When is the best season to go, peak times, off peak times etc?
  • In your opinion what would be the best sport touring tyres to roll with?
  • What's the Key ingredients to pack? (Toothbrush, waterproofs, etc...)
  • What would you recommend is the best carrier to take? (tank bag, tailpack, etc...)
  • Would you rent a touring bike to do it or would you think your sports bike could cope?
Either way let me know your opinions as this is something i'm highly interested in and want to achieve lol

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Do it mate, is a truly awesome feeling being free on the road!

I managed roughly 2200 miles in 11 days and 2 of those days I loafed in Italy and 3 of them I loafed in Barcelona so in theory you can do 2200 miles ish in 6-7 days.
I went Dover to Calais then to Switzerland, northern Italy, south of France, Pyrenees, Barcelona, Pyrenees Bilbao, Pompey.
cheaper off season but campsites are harder to find and also don't always have full amenities available. I went in May
Use whatever tyres you have fitted providing they are legal and only use a twisty route (avoid like the plague the motorway toll routes as they suck the life out of you and cost a wedge) to stop you squaring off your tyres.
I took my leather jacket, crash helmet, 2 pairs of goggles, waterproof gloves, 1 pair of Levis, 3 pairs of pants and socks, 2 t-shirts, a hoodie, some thermals, combat boots, a towel and a toothbrush/shower gel along with a tiny tent and sleeping bag and my bike chain. I left my waterproofs at home and it was the most liberating experience of my life! :)
I used a tiny Camelback rucksack with the bladder removed and tied the tent and sleeping bag to my back seat with bungee cords,
I did it on my naked Moto Guzzi V7, just ride your own bike, touring does not need to be complicated! :)

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I got wet in Switzerland, I got dry in Italy, I got cold and wet going over the Pyrenees and I got hot and dry again in Spain, it was amazing! :)

2WV

@2WheelVandal
Feb 25, 2017
South England
I ride a
A motorcycle, silly.
Gahh, i really wanna do it so bad. But don't want to do it alone. Also, how much did it cost you roughly, if you dont mind me asking

Reactions: HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I loved the freedom of being by myself. I can't remember unfortunately but including beer, food, campsites, fuel and ferries etc I believe it was around £1000

Reactions: 2WV

2WV

@2WheelVandal
Feb 25, 2017
South England
I ride a
A motorcycle, silly.
Some awesome tours on that site! However i would feel the sense of adventure wouldn't be the same as planning the routes yourself etc etc

Reactions: R-Rated

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts