4x2x4 Vs 4x2x2 Vs 4x2x1 Exhausts

ArtOfRoar

Wannabie Member
Oct 16, 2015
Illadelphi Pennsy...that's the residency
I ride a
2014 Kawasaki Z1000
Helloo Mootoooo!!!

As some may already know (& if ya don't then please, by all means check me out on You Tube) I've got a '14 Kawi Z1000 currently with stock cans. I'm looking to upgrade my exhaust & am considering a few options. My question: I's there an added advantage or disadvantage to going from my current 4x2x4 system to a 4x2x2 or 4X2X1? (Besides reduced weight) And what's the reason to change to a full system instead of just slip-ons? I may be dense but most of the pipes look about the same & are all about the same diameter?

Thanks!!!!!!

SwissMotard

The Swiss Motard
Sep 19, 2014
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple
The official triumph exhausts for my bike are 3-1-2 or 3-1 and they offer identical real-world-tested power and torque figures so I don't think it matters if they are engineered properly.

Pigs

Wannabie Member
Dec 4, 2015
Portland, OR
I ride a
zx6r
If you go full exhaust, you will need to change the fuel map via a power commander or etc. Any power gained from a full system is probably going to be minimal(not enough to make a difference). Some will say that a full system makes most of its power increase from the tune itself and not because of the full system exhaust. A full system will remove the cat as well so that will be a problem if your state has emissions or inspections.

I would say it really depends what you are looking for. If you are looking for power, look elsewhere as the price per horsepower is really not worth it. I will personally argue that little things like short throw throttles and quick shifters will be more beneficial.

Most motorcycle exhausts are free flowing enough that a full system isn't all that helpful. On your mums toyota camry that is designed for mpg and comfort, a less restrictive, free flowing exhaust system would help.

Slipons will just change look and sound.

Leon Loco

Roar at things.
Mar 30, 2016
NY/NJ/FL/TX/etc
leonloco.com
I ride a
Many loud things.
Everything after the first header merge is largely irrelevant to performance, assuming all options in question flow about the same. What can make a difference is the header merge itself-- as a general rule, a 4->1 will produce more peak power, a 4->2->1 will produce more midrange and torque.

Ultimately the best exhaust on anything from a performance standpoint is the one with the least restriction and fewest bends. You want to keep as much heat in the exhaust gas as possible, and get it out as quickly as possible so as not to reduce port velocity farther up the chain. A key example of this is most exhausts that remove crazy 90-180 degree bends picking up huge top end gains-- case in point the Duc 1199/1299.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts