3M Sticky Pads on Fairings

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
Morning folks.

A quick one today? Considering new camera mounting placements on the Z, previously I have either done the helmet mount or on top yoke of ZX6R.

Does anyone stick any GoPro mounts to fairings with 3M pads? And if so have you had any issues when you take the mount off at a later date?

Wee touch concerned will end up with marked areas or sticky residue. (which no body likes this early in the morning.)

Cheers for now.

Reactions: Pooley

Pooley

Wannabe tractor enthusiast
Nov 19, 2019
Derbyshire
I ride a
2003 Honda Deauville 650
You should be fine as long as the paint isn't cracked or weak, and removal should be easy with something like Isopropol alcohol or a similar solution to weaken the adhesive. And residual adhesive could be removed with the same solution or T-Cut works a treat too!

Reactions: HRMV

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
I have not done it myself but have seen used bikes where the mounts were left on. I would think a dealer would remove them but then again, they might have a reason to leave them.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Also if you heat them gently with a hairdryer it can help getting them off too, if you struggle, try dental floss or fishing line! :)

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
I have stucked mounts on both the Kawasaki and the Honda, and got them off no worries before i sold them.
Have two on the Yamaha now.

Stay on there no matter the weather, and you can remove them with a heatgun or hairdryer ;)

Kawasaki69

Wannabie Member
Feb 8, 2020
I ride a
Kawasaki gpx750r
If you or are freind have engineering knowledge you might be able to knock a bracket or two up and you want have to worry about the adhesive residue left behind

Reactions: HRMV and HippoDrone

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
I had a 3M sticky mount on the fairing of the Gixxer, I found it it came off easy by scraping it off with the tarmac on OldHall corner at Oulton Park. :oops: :D

Hahaha... But was the footage worth it lol

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
Thanks all for advice.

The paint is not cracked and shouldn't be weak as rest of the bike is in showroom condition. Now to find the best mounting point.

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
Sadly not, as a camera was in the mount and got totalled. :(
I did get rear facing footage though--check out 'Oulton Park track day crash' from about 3 years ago on my channel.
Will have a look pal. Cheers

Reactions: L. Bilious

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Probably best to leave it on, never know when you might want to use that mount/position again, also you can sell the bike as-is with the mount there, and leave it to the next owner to remove it so you don't have to worry about damaging the paint or unsightly stains. If you need the mount to be re-used on another part, it's better to just order more online (get it from China if you want it cheaper)..

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
Probably best to leave it on, never know when you might want to use that mount/position again, also you can sell the bike as-is with the mount there, and leave it to the next owner to remove it so you don't have to worry about damaging the paint or unsightly stains. If you need the mount to be re-used on another part, it's better to just order more online (get it from China if you want it cheaper)..
Aye it was more if I bolloxed the install that I would be removing them.

No intention of selling the bike anytime soon having just changed so it's more likely the pads will succumb to the slow decay of time rather than a different owner needing to take them off lol.

Once the snow stops I hope to be able to do some trial runs with different positions.

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
Sadly not, as a camera was in the mount and got totalled. :(
I did get rear facing footage though--check out 'Oulton Park track day crash' from about 3 years ago on my channel.

Wow I just watched your vid, OUCH! Did you ever figure out what caused the crash? Didn't look like anything unusual until BAM down you went.

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I can admire people riding on tracks like that, but I would never do it myself. I'm too much of a gentle cruiser touring type rider to even try that. Though I'd love to putter my Goldwing around the track at a leisurely pace just for the fun of it!

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts