TheDiabeticBiker

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2011
Scotland
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha MT07
Ducati Monster 600
Went out for my 1st 125 lesson since October and I loved it. Felt really confident and didn't screw up, pretty much thanks to watching Motovloggers on YouTube especially RoadCraftNottingham. But, I have a few problems now.

1) I may be too short (5'2") for the Suzuki Gladius my local school use which means I'll have to stick with the 125cc bikes. To be honest I don't want to have a resticted licence. Fair enough I could still buy a Ninja 250 or buy a SV650 (possibly even a Monster?) and restrict it. So should I do the restricted test or go else where for DAS?

2) My slow-control is rubbish, after doing the CBT and 3 lessons I can't master it. Anyone got any tips/advice on how to do it for u-turns and the slalom bit, without weaving like an idiot?

Thanks in advance.

SqueakyBrakes12

Wannabie Member
Nov 29, 2011
Wolverhampton (UK)
I ride a
2003 Honda CBR600F
Sinnis Stealth (125cc)
For your slow riding, keep feathering your clutch on and off the bite, keep the revs high (not redline high) and gently touch the back brake if you feel your going too quick.

I just passed on a restricted licence and eventhough it's sucky not having the full power of the bike, the acceleration and adrenaline is still way up there! You can still have loads of fun with it, if you don't like it, take it out lol

My girlfriend is the same height as you and when we was looking at bikes for her and the gladius can be altered for any height so your all good there too.

Just enjoy yourself whatever your decision.... I'm sure you will

CLARKY

Wannabie Member
Feb 7, 2012
Canvey Island
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Fj1200
When going slow .. Sit up straight and be relaxed on the bars. Anchor yourself to the bike with your thighs :)

Hope it all goes well :D

Ps... Nothing wrong with a restricted license :D

LeedsRider93

Wannabie Member
Jan 29, 2012
Leeds, UK
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2001 Yamaha FZS600S, 2009 Daelim Roadwin Fi
I know it is a pain having a restricted licence, but I don't find it to be too restrictive. My Fazer can still cope with motorway work with ease, and has more than enough power for some weekend fun. So don't be too disheartened if you end up taking this type of licence! Anyway, developing slow speed control will probably be much easier on a 125. Quite a few people I have met went for a restrictive licence because of slow-speed difficulties, sometimes it can be a bit difficult to pick up.

As for advice, most of the posts already have covered what I would say. Make sure your arms are not tensed and just relax (easier to say than do, I know). For the slalom, concentrate on the space between the cones and avoid using the front brake as this will destabilise the bike. Use the engine braking and rear brake instead.

It'll be good to see you on two wheels soon!

TheDiabeticBiker

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2011
Scotland
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha MT07
Ducati Monster 600
Thanks for the advice, hopefully will get to try a Gladius next week when I go back for my lesson so you never know I might be ok, the instructor I think was worrying about the weight of it because of the 40Kg difference.

Yarek

Wannabie Member
Jan 29, 2012
I ride a
Street Triple 'R' - 2010 Matt Orange
I actually found slow speed control more difficult on a 125 than I did on my DAS or my Street Triple R. I put this down to the same as with a car - with more torque in the larger engine it is much easier to be subtle with it - it gives you more control as with a 125 you have to rev the engine more whereas with more power you get away with having slightly too low revs. With the additional torque it's very easy to just use clutch control and not really worry too much about the accelerator.

I guess it might depend what your problem is, but that's what I found anyway :)

CLARKY

Wannabie Member
Feb 7, 2012
Canvey Island
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Fj1200
Yarek said:
I actually found slow speed control more difficult on a 125 than I did on my DAS or my Street Triple R. I put this down to the same as with a car - with more torque in the larger engine it is much easier to be subtle with it - it gives you more control as with a 125 you have to rev the engine more whereas with more power you get away with having slightly too low revs. With the additional torque it's very easy to just use clutch control and not really worry too much about the accelerator.

I guess it might depend what your problem is, but that's what I found anyway :)

Its also a little bit to do with the ratio of weight distribution on the bike. Your own weight has more effect on a lighter machine... where as a heavier machine is more planted and more stubborn at slower speeds.

TheDiabeticBiker

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2011
Scotland
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha MT07
Ducati Monster 600
What happens with the restricted licence? Is it restricted for life or does it only stay restricted for 2 yrs? Really want it all done before it changes next year.

Chessecake94

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
I ride a
Honda Hornet - With Beast Of A Micron Exhaust
AlfistiKid said:
What happens with the restricted licence? Is it restricted for life or does it only stay restricted for 2 yrs? Really want it all done before it changes next year.

For 2 years, is there any other training schools reasonably close to you that have a shorter bike. Best to avoid restricted license if you can, it gets annoying after a while.

RoadcraftNottingham

Wannabie Member
Jan 12, 2012
I ride a
Honda Pan Euopean 1100, Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC, Ducati Diavel, CBR600RR-8
Linz (bikerchickvids) is only 5 foot 1 and did her direct access on our slightly lower Kawasaki ER5s. She also went to a cobbler and had a 1/4 inch sole put on the bottom of her boots which helped the reach. I'd advise you go for the DAS, it's futureproof then.

If you're struggling with slow speed control it may be worth considering buying a 125 as a temporary measure to gain more experience (that's if you don't already have a 125) Everyone I've recommended this to has been amazed at how much it helped (including Linz who didn't want to do it but I forced her, CBR125) You may be able to do a deal with a shop, if you buy a 600 off them, they may lend you a 125 as part of the package.

It's basically down to time and practise and try not to beat yourself up if you're struggling, I was always the worst in all my training groups (learner, instructor and advanced) over the years then went on to win many road safety competitions, so there's always hope. :)

Yarek

Wannabie Member
Jan 29, 2012
I ride a
Street Triple 'R' - 2010 Matt Orange
Doing the test on a 125 and being restricted for a couple of years is no bad thing really - especially as you could easily cut your cloth on the CBR250R or Ninja 250R or others - which would be great bikes to develop skills on.

Chessecake94

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
I ride a
Yarek said:
Doing the test on a 125 and being restricted for a couple of years is no bad thing really - especially as you could easily cut your cloth on the CBR250R or Ninja 250R or others - which would be great bikes to develop skills on.

You haven't ridden on a restricted license then :p. Its a pain when getting insurance, you have to send them various bits of paper works, then they have to confirm they accept that in writing. If you do it the cheap way, like I did, it took 2 weeks to sort out the insurance. If you do it the straight forward way it'll cost £150+.

Being restricted is good, in terms of being on limited power, so you have a bit of a safety buffer whilst your inexperienced. However its infuriating me after 6 months, and you'd be better to have the option to upgrade, even if its something thats 50 or 60bhp.

TheDiabeticBiker

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2011
Scotland
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha MT07
Ducati Monster 600
RoadcraftNottingham said:
If you're struggling with slow speed control it may be worth considering buying a 125 as a temporary measure to gain more experience (that's if you don't already have a 125) Everyone I've recommended this to has been amazed at how much it helped (including Linz who didn't want to do it but I forced her, CBR125) You may be able to do a deal with a shop, if you buy a 600 off them, they may lend you a 125 as part of the package.

That's a great idea! But the mother has put her foot down and said no bikes :( I'll have to move out first and I can't afford that while paying off my car.

There's 2 other schools I know of one has a Yamaha XJ6N, the other has an ER5 and a CBF600 plus specially lowered bikes. Maybe saved after all :D

Just seen there on my current riding schools site about one of the Gladius bikes has been lowered for short people. But again i think it's down to the weight. Weird since i'm quite strong for my size.

Chessecake94

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
I ride a
AlfistiKid said:

That's a great idea! But the mother has put her foot down and said no bikes :( I'll have to move out first and I can't afford that while paying off my car.

There's 2 other schools I know of one has a Yamaha XJ6N, the other has an ER5 and a CBF600 plus specially lowered bikes. Maybe saved after all :D

Just seen there on my current riding schools site about one of the Gladius bikes has been lowered for short people. But again i think it's down to the weight. Weird since i'm quite strong for my size.

You'll get used to the weight though.

RoadcraftNottingham

Wannabie Member
Jan 12, 2012
I ride a
Chessecake94 said:
AlfistiKid said:

You'll get used to the weight though.

Yeah, the weight of your mother's iron fist!! :lol:

Chessecake94

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
I ride a
Could you not tell your mum, then just roll up on the drive with a bike.

My dad did that, his parents didn't speak to him for a week, but after that they accepted it. After a while they where fine with it.

Bloke

Wannabie Member
Sep 28, 2011
I ride a
Yamaha XJ6-S Diversion
Yeah but in fairness you're living at home. Just respect your parents wishes,

Don't buy a bike, just do your test. ;) buy a bike once you've moved out.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

TheDiabeticBiker

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2011
Scotland
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha MT07
Ducati Monster 600
Yeah couldn't buy a bike behind my mothers back. I couldn't even go for lessons behind her back. She only gave in when we done a deal. I get my Diabetes under control then I can get lessons :D

I've applied to college to do bike mechanics so may try for a non-runner and 'practice' repairing it.

RoadcraftNottingham

Wannabie Member
Jan 12, 2012
I ride a
AlfistiKid said:
Yeah couldn't buy a bike behind my mothers back. I couldn't even go for lessons behind her back. She only gave in when we done a deal. I get my Diabetes under control then I can get lessons :D

I've applied to college to do bike mechanics so may try for a non-runner and 'practice' repairing it.

A good way to start...and +1 on the respect bit too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts