Youtube Chapters

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Youtube has added chapters to videos, not sure if anyone has seen what they look like, but here is more info from YT

For each of your uploaded videos, you can add video chapters. Chapters break up your video into sections, each with an individual preview. These chapters can help viewers by giving more info and context by allowing them to rewatch different parts of the video.

Turn on video chapters
  1. Sign in to YouTube.
  2. Go to the video you want to edit.
  3. Select EDIT VIDEO under the video.
  4. In the “Description” box of the “Add details” page, add a list of timestamps and titles.
To opt into video chapters, make sure that the first timestamp you list starts with 00:00. Your video should have at least three timestamps listed in ascending order. The minimum length for video chapters is 10 seconds.

humes

Colorado Motovlogger
May 17, 2020
Denver, CO
www.instagram.com
I ride a
2012 Ducati Monster 696
Didn't see this so appreciate the share, Wheely. Seems like it would be handy for bike reviews or such. I could potentially use it when I am doing a multi-part journey since I'm mostly travel focused, etc.

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
I really like the idea, especially on review videos or tutorials. I only have one tutorial video, but I've already added it :)

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
Hey that's pretty slick! I already had timestamps in my Bike History video, and by simply adding the 0:00 to it I now have chapters on my motovlog!

That's rather nice and easy to do.

Reactions: WheelyPerd

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
I like the use cases in motorcycle videos. For motovlogs you could use chapters to show where you talk about stuff, a simpler way is just 2 or 3 chapters with potential highlights.

humes

Colorado Motovlogger
May 17, 2020
Denver, CO
www.instagram.com
I ride a
2012 Ducati Monster 696
I wonder whether this is decrease engagement for some videos, with people skipping to / watching only particular parts of a video, rather than the whole thing?

My gut tells me this will actually increase engagement overall (and makes sense YT would only do this if it helped their bottom-line KPI, engagement). Instead of clicking on a video and leaving it because someone is rambling or saying things the viewer is not interested in, they can view the chapters and potentially click on one instead of just click off the video entirely.

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
they can view the chapters and potentially click on one instead of just click off the video entirely.
Agreed. I sometimes quit a whole video because of the beginning, with chapters I think people will be more inclined to find the content within the video that they need.

Reactions: LandyVlad

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
My gut tells me this will actually increase engagement overall (and makes sense YT would only do this if it helped their bottom-line KPI, engagement). Instead of clicking on a video and leaving it because someone is rambling or saying things the viewer is not interested in, they can view the chapters and potentially click on one instead of just click off the video entirely.

That and in some video's it also might help skip adds from youtube, which might help with viewers sticking onto your content for longer.

Reactions: LandyVlad

LandyVlad

King of Mycenae
Jun 8, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
gsx1400owners.org
I ride a
Suzuki GSX1400
Has anyone seen the videos like some that "Primal Video" does where they might be expalining a 6 step process and as they explain each step a little progress bar moves along the bottom of the screen?
If so any idea how that's done?

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Has anyone seen the videos like some that "Primal Video" does where they might be expalining a 6 step process and as they explain each step a little progress bar moves along the bottom of the screen?
If so any idea how that's done?
Is it like the screenshot above that I posted?
OR is the progress bar inside the video itself?

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts