Yet another Drift help thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrus600

Wannabie Member
Aug 28, 2011
I ride a
Yamaha XJ6S Diversion
I thought I'd been lucky with my camera, but today I noticed something rather off with my video.

At random intervals I get a mass of fine pink horizontal lines across the top half of the video. Whether it's down to vibration or jolting, I'm not sure but it seems to bear no relation to the movement of my head.

Camera is a HD170 Stealth recording in 720p 60fps on the latest firmware. Any ideas or is it worth talking to Drift about it?

MadzBiker1

Wannabie Member
Oct 24, 2011
I ride a
Aprilia RS50 ( Previous )
Yamaha YZF R125 09 ( Previous )
New bike reveal soon ;)
I've got exactly the same problem, i contacted drift and they confirmed it was hardware related and would have to be sent back. They required a 5 second clip to determine if it was, and they confirmed it was.
Sadly Amazon are saying they'll give me a refund as they don't stock drifts anymore, so i have to look for another camera!

It'll be worth you contacting drift and attaching a 5 second clip in the email and let them get back to you.

Hope it gets sorted!

Trinith

Wannabie Member
Jul 22, 2011
I ride a
2003 Honda VFR
MadzBiker1 said:
I've got exactly the same problem, i contacted drift and they confirmed it was hardware related and would have to be sent back. They required a 5 second clip to determine if it was, and they confirmed it was.
Sadly Amazon are saying they'll give me a refund as they don't stock drifts anymore, so i have to look for another camera!

It'll be worth you contacting drift and attaching a 5 second clip in the email and let them get back to you.

Hope it gets sorted!

Drift told you that you had to send it back through Amazon?

You should talk to them about returning it specifically to THEM. Amazon is just a middleman in this equation. I've never had to deal with their customer service, but I've heard that it's fantastic. It's definitely worth a call or something to clarify things.

MadzBiker1

Wannabie Member
Oct 24, 2011
I ride a
New bike reveal soon ;)
Yes sadly, my previous camera had to be aswell.

I've emailed them as they stated if you have any issues with replacing please contact us, so at the moment i'm waiting to see if they'll replace it directly & not threw amazon, if not i've got to spend another £50-£80 on top with some of the refund money they're offering to return.

Trinith

Wannabie Member
Jul 22, 2011
I ride a
2003 Honda VFR
Did you buy it used or something? That's the only reason I can think of for why you might have to go through amazon to get anything done. I've seen them replace cameras directly several times in the past without the user having to deal with whoever they bought the thing from.

MadzBiker1

Wannabie Member
Oct 24, 2011
I ride a
New bike reveal soon ;)
Trinith said:
Did you buy it used or something? That's the only reason I can think of for why you might have to go through amazon to get anything done. I've seen them replace cameras directly several times in the past without the user having to deal with whoever they bought the thing from.

The camera was new, For some reason Drift sends Amazon the new camera, who will send it to me, and it works in reverse when i need to send my camera back. God knows why.

Trinith

Wannabie Member
Jul 22, 2011
I ride a
2003 Honda VFR
MadzBiker1 said:
Trinith said:

The camera was new, For some reason Drift sends Amazon the new camera, who will send it to me, and it works in reverse when i need to send my camera back. God knows why.

Yeah..that's really strange. Good luck... Drift doesn't even show any of the older, larger style cameras on their site anymore. I'm sure they've got some left in warehouses and the such, but you may be up the creek on that one.

MadzBiker1

Wannabie Member
Oct 24, 2011
I ride a
New bike reveal soon ;)
Trinith said:
MadzBiker1 said:
Trinith said:

Yeah..that's really strange. Good luck... Drift doesn't even show any of the older, larger style cameras on their site anymore. I'm sure they've got some left in warehouses and the such, but you may be up the creek on that one.

They may be trying to promote the latest half size drift, I'm unsure if i'll bother purchasing one though.

Trinith

Wannabie Member
Jul 22, 2011
I ride a
2003 Honda VFR
MadzBiker1 said:
They may be trying to promote the latest half size drift, I'm unsure if i'll bother purchasing one though.

Yeah, that could be it. The bigger one disappeared not too long ago. Personally I would give them the benefit of the doubt provided I got a pretty hefty refund. If they only gave me 50% I'd be pretty pissed though.

MadzBiker1

Wannabie Member
Oct 24, 2011
I ride a
New bike reveal soon ;)
Trinith said:
MadzBiker1 said:

Yeah, that could be it. The bigger one disappeared not too long ago. Personally I would give them the benefit of the doubt provided I got a pretty hefty refund. If they only gave me 50% I'd be pretty pissed though.

I'm just hoping the next email i receive from them will contain some better news. I Can't afford to spend anymore on another camera at the moment. Spent all my money sending my leathers away to be fixed, If not i'm looking at a month's wait.

Chrus600

Wannabie Member
Aug 28, 2011
I ride a
Yamaha XJ6S Diversion
Was just editing a video together and noticed it cropping up all the time :(

Will send off an email to Drift. Damn, I thought I'd got a non-faulty one.

ToastToGo

Wannabie Member
Jul 22, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Honda SuperHawk
Does your RAW footage have the marks? One of my edited videos had really messed up color at different parts of the video and it would switch back and forth...but realized it was because of some auto-editing my editor messed up with. My RAW footage was just fine.

I've been pretty lucky with my cameras fortunately.

Chrus600

Wannabie Member
Aug 28, 2011
I ride a
Yamaha XJ6S Diversion
Unfortunately, the raw footage was where I noticed it first.

OoxTruExoO

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Up my bum picking daisies
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2000 Suzuki SV650S
I found a simple solution for Drift problems... Unfortunately you have to catch it early. As in right before you click the "confirm purchase" button, close that window down and look for a GoPro instead.

Not helpful, but works out better in the long run.

ariderslife

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Melbourne - Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Currently: 2004 CB 919 - Previous rides - Honda Hornet 600 aka CB599 - Previous: 1999 Honda VTR 250: Previous Honda f4i - Previous: CBR 929 Previous: DRZ400sm: Previous 2006 gsxr 600: Previous 1989 Honda Spada VT250
Chrus600 said:
I thought I'd been lucky with my camera, but today I noticed something rather off with my video.

At random intervals I get a mass of fine pink horizontal lines across the top half of the video. Whether it's down to vibration or jolting, I'm not sure but it seems to bear no relation to the movement of my head.

Camera is a HD170 Stealth recording in 720p 60fps on the latest firmware. Any ideas or is it worth talking to Drift about it?

I have the same problem, to sent me a new camera and didn't ask me to return the normal one. so i have 2.

now the HD170 is outa stock they will prob send you the standard HD720 model.
OR the upgrade.

Chrus600

Wannabie Member
Aug 28, 2011
I ride a
Yamaha XJ6S Diversion
jaybee said:

Not sure if Youtube's compression eradicated it, or the fact my laptop screen physically can't display 1080p but I can't see any pink lines...

Edit: Scratch that, I can see vertical banding that changes colour. Not the same as my artifacting.

@True: Depending on the outcome of this, the GoPro 2 is going to be my first choice if a refund is given.

@ariderslife: I'd rather have another HD170 than the HD720, no 60fps recording or 170 degree FoV? No thanks. What one did they send you?

Trinith

Wannabie Member
Jul 22, 2011
I ride a
2003 Honda VFR
OoxTruExoO said:
I found a simple solution for Drift problems... Unfortunately you have to catch it early. As in right before you click the "confirm purchase" button, close that window down and look for a GoPro instead.

Not helpful, but works out better in the long run.

That would work, but then you're stuck with a horrendously gaudy, user-unfriendly, awkward, brick of a camera that doesn't come with everything you need yet still costs 50% more that can only run for an hour or so before the batteries need to be recharged.

Basically, you don't have to worry about dealing with Drifts apparently stellar customer service, but you get a fugly POS instead. Tough choice really. ;)

OoxTruExoO

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Up my bum picking daisies
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2000 Suzuki SV650S
Trinith said:
That would work, but then you're stuck with a horrendously gaudy, user-unfriendly, awkward, brick of a camera that doesn't come with everything you need yet still costs 50% more that can only run for an hour or so before the batteries need to be recharged.

Basically, you don't have to worry about dealing with Drifts apparently stellar customer service, but you get a fugly POS instead. Tough choice really. ;)

To each their own I suppose. I have found GoPro to be a lot better in a lot of ways. Especially in battery durability, user friendliness and amount of included accessories with the motorsport bundle. Also, when I had to contact them before with my first GoPro, they responded the same day... not a few weeks later, like Drift, after having to email them again... which is not exactly stellar customer service.

Chrus600

Wannabie Member
Aug 28, 2011
I ride a
Yamaha XJ6S Diversion
Sent the email to Drift support at 2AM on Sunday, got a reply 5 hours ago asking for my address and proof of purchase if my camera's firmware is up to date, which it is.

I'd rather not have a HD720 though... :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts