Worst case scenario is good point to share you location when riding

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
I read this in the news this morning about a motorcycle crash that happened a few days ago.

BLOUNT CO., Tenn. (WVLT) - A deputy with the Blount Sheriff’s Office shot and killed a bear that was scavenging the body of a crash victim on ‘The Dragon’, according to officials with the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency.

On Friday, a deputy responded to a motorcycle crash near mile marker 8 on ‘The Dragon’ to help the Tennessee Highway Patrol, according to officials with the Blount County Sheriff’s Office.

The deputy then found a 150 to 175-pound male black bear guarding the body of the male crash victim.

“It was evident the bear had been scavenging the remains of the body,” TWRA officials said.

I did a little internet search and found that the rider had gone missing on Friday. A Facebook group for the Tail of the Dragon had put out about the rider missing.

1727363008956.png

Here is the lesson although it may not have changed the outcome.

Consider sharing your location with someone you trust. Just like with hiking, let them know where you will be and when to expect you back. In addition, Google Maps has the ability on mobile devices to share your location so someone can ping your device.

Screenshot_20240926-095716_Maps.jpg

When they pull you up on their google map, they will see where you are and your device's battery level.

In the case of the rider, it may have reduced the amount of time between the crash and the bear coming along.

I have shared my location, during past couple of trips, with my close family. But that requires you to be travelling in an area with good connection. Even I was in Europe during my last trip, I still had sections without any connection. Combining that with a general plan of spots I plan on visiting, that still gives a good basis to start the search.
I'm wondering if a satellite tracker would be a good investment for future trips. They're not cheap though.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts

Back