DJI Action 5 Pro

You can disguise the purchase as Santa giving you a gift, if you just wait a little bit.

My first impression is, that if the price of 4 drops a little more, I won't go for 5 but rather 4. The difference in spec does not seem so drastic. The new batteries will also work on 4. I'ts only a question of the price difference.

Yeah, it looks like a solid upgrade from the 4. I wish DJI would make a remote that works with multiple cameras - that's the biggest thing [besides replacing multiple cameras] that's holding me back from making the switch.

-John

Is it much of an upgrade from the 4? Everything I've seen say it is new but not significantly better
The price of the 4 has come down quite a bit, and I've opened a new very account so waiting to use the 20% off my first order...so if I buy the 4 adventure combo and DJI Mic 2, the mic is essentially free.. can't press the order button though but I dont know why.
I won't be considering the 5, but I also dont think the price is going to change much more than it has already for the 4 now

Is it much of an upgrade from the 4? Everything I've seen say it is new but not significantly better
The price of the 4 has come down quite a bit, and I've opened a new very account so waiting to use the 20% off my first order...so if I buy the 4 adventure combo and DJI Mic 2, the mic is essentially free.. can't press the order button though but I dont know why.
I won't be considering the 5, but I also dont think the price is going to change much more than it has already for the 4 now

I'm no DJI expert, but I think the bigger battery & more efficient processing in the 5 makes it a worthy upgrade from the 4, if you need the extra runtime.

If those recording times hold up in the real world, then GoPro will be the #2 action camera company in very short order.

-John

I'm no DJI expert, but I think the bigger battery & more efficient processing in the 5 makes it a worthy upgrade from the 4, if you need the extra runtime.

If those recording times hold up in the real world, then GoPro will be the #2 action camera company in very short order.

-John
You are also able to connect 2 mics , the Super-night setting really brightens night filming and Subject tracking keeps the subject centered in the video

You are also able to connect 2 mics , the Super-night setting really brightens night filming and Subject tracking keeps the subject centered in the video

And I'm there for it. Action camera companies are really ratcheting up their game from "put on helmet. record action sport thing" to "full-fledged content creator rig".

-John

I understand, that if you don't do your own color grading the image quality under normal color profile is worse than on the older model. This is something that is possibly fixed with future firmware, but until then you'd be left with worse footage you should get from the camera.

That's interesting - I wonder if that has to do with the reported bitrate issues? Apparently, DJI lowered the bitrate, presumably part of the power savings. DJI came out 2 days ago and said an upcoming firmware update will increase the bitrate. I wonder if that will fix the image quality? FWIW, the Redditors who commented said they couldn't tell a difference.

-John

According to DJI the bitrate is due to different compression. So that could be what causes some weird color transition effects, as if some things were glowing.
The quality with D-Log is supposed to be top notch though, so anyone in to color grading themselves, will not see any issues for sure.

Initially when 5 came out, the price of 4 dropped below 300€ here. Now it has gone up to about 330€, while 5 is about 380€. I wonder what that means. Is there higher demand for 4, than 5?

That's... an interesting strategy. Usually, price drops stay dropped. I think you're on to something - maybe there's an issue with the 5 that has people going for the 4 instead... or that 50 euros doesn't seem like the 5 is worth it?

-John

FWIW, here in the US, the Action 5 is $349, and the Action 4 is $299. So, same difference in price as where you're at, numerically-speaking.

When comparing the 2 cameras, though - the extra battery life is about the biggest bonus for motovloggers... and 50% better is a big jump.

-John

The new batteries fit the old one too though. So maybe everyone was buying the old camera and new batteries, so they had to decrease the gap, to make the newer model more attractive?

The new batteries fit the old one too though. So maybe everyone was buying the old camera and new batteries, so they had to decrease the gap, to make the newer model more attractive?

I thought about that - but DJI specifically said that while the new batteries fit the 4's chassis, because of software and hardware improvements, the increase in battery life won't increase the whole 50%... so if buyers did that, they're going to be pretty disappointed.

-John

I thought about that - but DJI specifically said that while the new batteries fit the 4's chassis, because of software and hardware improvements, the increase in battery life won't increase the whole 50%... so if buyers did that, they're going to be pretty disappointed.

-John
That sounds a little like "Don't just buy the old one with new batteries" too though.

That sounds a little like "Don't just buy the old one with new batteries" too though.

It may be one reason GoPro made their new batteries different - to prevent just such a thing.

IF, in fact, efficiency improvements were made in the software and other hardware in the camera, battery life will go up even with older batteries. I wonder if someone's run that test - running an Action 4 battery in an Action 5?

-John

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts

Back