Not open for further replies.

BikerSpeedTriple

Wannabie Member
Aug 18, 2012
Hertfordshire/London
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Triumph Speed Triple
I put this together at the weekend. It's something that I've wanted to do for a long time. Not sure how well it works, but the situation with the deer was quite cool.

Let me know what you guys think!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEPas2th_Yk[/youtube]

Rogentx

Wannabie Member
Jun 22, 2012
California
www.youtube.com
I ride a
New Bike: 2003 Honda CBR600
Old Bike: 2005 Yamaha YZF600
Good messenge and quite clear. Gear is made for a reason so hopefully people who feel they are "too cool" for gear should watch this.

Rogentx

Wannabie Member
Jun 22, 2012
California
www.youtube.com
I ride a
BikerSpeedTriple said:
Rogentx said:
Good messenge and quite clear. Gear is made for a reason so hopefully people who feel they are "too cool" for gear should watch this.

Thanks!

Didn't end up quite as good as I hoped it could have, but wanted to get the message across.

If you ever decide to re-do it, its graphic and such, but perhaps posting pictures of people who decided not to wear gear (non-fatal of course). Only catch 22 is that might scare people off from wanting to ride so its a gamble either way.

BikerSpeedTriple

Wannabie Member
Aug 18, 2012
Hertfordshire/London
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Triumph Speed Triple
Rogentx said:
If you ever decide to re-do it, its graphic and such, but perhaps posting pictures of people who decided not to wear gear (non-fatal of course). Only catch 22 is that might scare people off from wanting to ride so its a gamble either way.

That's partly why I did it the way I did. I didn't want it to be too gory, but wanted people to be able to relate.

OffroadEthan

Wannabie Member
Oct 26, 2012
I ride a
2009 YZ250F
I didn't wear my knee braces on Sunday when I went to practice in the woods and fell because I hit a log I couldn't see under the leaves. I came home and thought I scratched my knee and I took my pants off and there was a 3 inch cut below my knee with a half inch deep hole (the cut was from my footpeg). From now on I will always wear all of my gear when I ride. It could have been a lot worse and I am thankful that's all that happened.

BikerSpeedTriple

Wannabie Member
Aug 18, 2012
Hertfordshire/London
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Triumph Speed Triple
OffroadEthan said:
From now on I will always wear all of my gear when I ride. It could have been a lot worse and I am thankful that's all that happened.

Glad it wasn't any worse!

All The Gear, All The Time (ATGATT). It's a great mantra to live by. Usually, even if people think about the possible accidents they might have, they don't factor in the damage their own bike can cause.

It's important to try and get the message out there...

Stenno

Wannabie Member
Mar 6, 2012
Surbiton, UK
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Suzuki SV650/S
thunderous71 said:
Just point people at

[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/22897515[/vimeo]
http://vimeo.com/22897515

One of the best stories about why to ride in gear.

She was a real hottie at the time of her accident! Scary reading about what happened, especially losing her left breast on the tarmac :/

All too often though I see videos of American riders with little to no gear on, scary as hell.

Gadfly

Wannabie Member
Sep 27, 2012
Clarksville, Tn
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650
Stenno said:
thunderous71 said:
Just point people at

[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/22897515[/vimeo]
http://vimeo.com/22897515

One of the best stories about why to ride in gear.

She was a real hottie at the time of her accident! Scary reading about what happened, especially losing her left breast on the tarmac :/

All too often though I see videos of American riders with little to no gear on, scary as hell.

I get laughed at a bit from the "bikers" where I live for wearing my full gear when I go ride, even in 90 + degree weather I still wear my gear. Dudes here will be squidding all over the main streets in tank tops and t-shirts with chicks on the back in short shorts and tube tops. My mouth gets my in trouble as I'll pull up to them at stop lights and ask the dude's girl if she thinks she'll still look hot on the back of a bike when her skin looks like hamburger meat. They usually give me the finger and speed away usually doing a wheelie or gunning their overly loud aftermarket pipes. That's my towns "biker" community in a nut shell, at least 10 in my town die a season.

Stenno

Wannabie Member
Mar 6, 2012
Surbiton, UK
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Suzuki SV650/S
Gadfly said:
I get laughed at a bit from the "bikers" where I live for wearing my full gear when I go ride, even in 90 + degree weather I still wear my gear. Dudes here will be squidding all over the main streets in tank tops and t-shirts with chicks on the back in short shorts and tube tops. My mouth gets my in trouble as I'll pull up to them at stop lights and ask the dude's girl if she thinks she'll still look hot on the back of a bike when her skin looks like hamburger meat. They usually give me the finger and speed away usually doing a wheelie or gunning their overly loud aftermarket pipes. That's my towns "biker" community in a nut shell, at least 10 in my town die a season.

All the gear, all the time! You'll be the last one standing at the end of the day!

TheDiabeticBiker

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2011
Scotland
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha MT07
Ducati Monster 600
Yep gotta wear all the gear all the time! I fell off a bike without even starting the engine and it hurt! Banged my shoulder on the bike next to me but my armour took the brunt of it.

Rogentx

Wannabie Member
Jun 22, 2012
California
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Well done by that lady in the video, courage and determination is quite admirable. When I got into my recent tumble, I had gear on minus leather pants (thankfully the pants I did have on, were very tough, plus the two layers underneath). Aside from a hurt ankle, just had minor road rash and small cut on my right hand. Before I get my next bike, getting some leather pants and some actual riding gloves. Not that the ones I have are bad, but i'd feel much better if actual riding ones.

Romans5.8

Wannabie Member
Mar 19, 2013
I ride a
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Rogentx said:
BikerSpeedTriple said:
Rogentx said:

Thanks!

Didn't end up quite as good as I hoped it could have, but wanted to get the message across.

As bad as it might sound, I wouldn't particularly mind if the OP scared people who aren't willing to ride safely away from riding.

I'm with ya. Wife and I both wear full gear all the time. Full face helmet, jacket, overpants, boots, gloves, etc. We ride with a group that's all cruisers (like us, we're not really big on sportbikes ourselves). And not only are we the only gear wearers, we're the only full face helmet wearers. It's half-lids all around otherwise. Some of them like to take the lids off if we go to a state that doesn't require helmets.

Now, I believe in choice, and in freedoms, and in the government not dictating every aspect of our lives. I don't believe in helmet laws or other strict laws governing what people wear, etc. BUT, I certainly don't support the idea of not wearing a helmet at LEAST, and gear as well. People always tell me I'm 'miserable' in my gear and 'too scared' to ride a motorcycle. That has nothing to do with it. And it doesn't bother me. Current record is 117F (almost 48C). During a huge heat wave and drought, which happened to coincide with my wife and I's honeymoon. It was hot! In fact, I did decide, for the first time ever, to ride without my jacket. It was so miserably hot, I was worried about dehydration or heat stroke. After about 5 minutes, I pulled over and put it back on. It was HOTTER without the jacket. Later on, I read in a book that riding a motorcycle in a t-shirt or even super lightweight cotton shirts, in heat, is actually going to warm you up. Basically, your sweat will dry off from the wind before it has a chance to cool you. It can also give you windburn and sunburn. I'm not gonna sit here and tell you I was comfortable at temperatures nearly hot enough to cook food! But nor would I have been without gear. Hot is hot. But the gear has never made me feel uncomfortable, no matter how hot it gets. In fact, I've noticed that I wear a sweatshirt under my gear the same days everyone else is wearing a sweatshirt. I wear a t-shirt under my gear the same days everyone else is wearing a t-shirt, and I don't have mesh gear. I have solid textile (1000D) gear.

Some people believe, because they are on a cruiser, they aren't gonna crash. I run into that alot. It's true, sportbikes make up about 85% of motorcycle accidents. But, that's for the obvious reason; if you're the kind of person who is gonna be dumb on a motorcycle and do dangerous stuff, then you'll buy a sportbike. Conservative riders ride sportbikes too, but very, very few 'death wish' riders ride cruisers, they tend to graviate towards sportbikes. The 'cool' factor is an aspect too. I see lots of sportbikers wearing gear. I have yet to, even once, see another cruiser rider wear gear.

EXCEPT FOR ONE! A good friend of mine, Harley rider. Been riding since he was 16, he's about 60 now. He went overseas to do a mission trip, where they rode dual sport Kawasaki's to get to these different villages. The guy he rode with demanded that anyone who rides with him wear gear, and he even supplied the gear. Now, my buddy was always one to say the gear was silly and 'just ride'. But, while he was on this trip, he and three others wrecked on some loose rocks and gravel in the desert at about 90mph. One wasn't wearing gear, he was severely injured. The others, including himself, were, and were not injured (just sore). They were able to help the injured rider. He told me that, if they weren't wearing gear, there would have been nobody around to help them. He hasn't mentioned anything, but I've noticed that he has a shiny new riding jacket that he always wears now, and got rid of his non-DOT half helmet and now wears a 3/4 lid. He also asked me the other day where he can get 'those cool pants'.

Oh well, ride your own ride and don't worry about anyone else! BUT, I feel your pain for sure. But that's okay. I enjoy it, that's why I do it. If I didn't enjoy riding, I wouldn't ride. Who cares what anyone else thinks? I take that advice to heart though, I don't bash folks who don't wear gear. That's their business. I don't have to agree, but I don't need to chastise them either. It won't accomplish anything. It's their business, their ride, not mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts