When you sense something is wrong, stop and check it out!

819s

Wannabie Member
Mar 19, 2021
Kanagawa, Japan
www.team819s.com
I ride a
Honda CRF250L
I went for a decently long ride the other day. I checked the weather and it was supposed to rain in the evening and I knew wI would be back home well before that. I sometimes bring my winter gloves on rainy days because they are waterproof. I left them home this time since the weather is warm.

Halfway into the trip, it started raining. I checked the forecast and it still said that it will not keep raining so I kept pushing forward.
Around the furthest point I was planning to go, it started raining and the forecast was updated to reflect that it was raining and it would keep raining. It was between 8 and 13 Celsius where I was riding. (It gets colder in the mountains.)
My gear was soaking up the water. I was drenched all the way through all my gear. The wind was making me cold. My fingers felt really cold but honestly, not out of the ordinary for a ride on a cold day.

In hindsight, the first sign that there was a problem was using my controls. When I went to turn off my turn signals, I honked the horn. I thought nothing of it. Then it happened again around 5 minutes later. Still, no big deal. I thought I was off my game because I was disappointed about the change in weather.

I stopped at a convenience store to get a hot coffee and use the restroom. When I took off my gloves, my fingertips were purple! I was getting frostbite. It never crossed my mind that I could get frostbite from wet gloves and wind chill. WIth the temperature above freezing, I never expected it.

At the store, they sell hot steel cans of coffee. The first can I bought seemed to hot to hold and I didn't want to risk burning my fingers or something so I held the can with the gloves on. My fingers were still cold so I bought a second one when the first one cooled down. My fingers went back to a seemingly normal color and it took 3x as long as normal to get home because I stopped every time my fingers felt too cold.

The moral of the story for me was to pay attention when something is out of the ordinary. Stop and take a minute to find out what is going on. Also, make sure you have the right gear. Prepare for what may happen. I knew it would rain later so I should have brought some gear that could handle the rain better.

Stay safe out there!

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Wind chill is not fun, especially when wet. Am glad you managed to warm up a bit and get home safely.
The right kit is really important, we are lucky to have so much choice of decent kit available and mostly affordable.

Reactions: 819s

Dewey316

Dewey|Rides
Oct 1, 2020
I ride a
BWM F800gs / DR650 / Honda CM450E
Yeah. Being cold can be super dangerous. Wet gloves will get super cold really fast. I,be been caught out like that before and it sucks. I was so cold one I couldn't pull my clutch in because my hand lost all it's dexterity.

• Wow
Reactions: 819s

819s

Wannabie Member
Mar 19, 2021
Kanagawa, Japan
www.team819s.com
I ride a
Honda CRF250L
Yeah. Being cold can be super dangerous. Wet gloves will get super cold really fast. I,be been caught out like that before and it sucks. I was so cold one I couldn't pull my clutch in because my hand lost all it's dexterity.

I kept williging my fingers individually and checking that there was smooth movement. It became how clear the problem was when I tried taking out coins to pay for the hot coffee. I was really struggling. I am not sure if the clerk realized what was wrong or not. He made some strange faces.

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
I went for a decently long ride the other day. I checked the weather and it was supposed to rain in the evening and I knew wI would be back home well before that. I sometimes bring my winter gloves on rainy days because they are waterproof. I left them home this time since the weather is warm.

Halfway into the trip, it started raining. I checked the forecast and it still said that it will not keep raining so I kept pushing forward.
Around the furthest point I was planning to go, it started raining and the forecast was updated to reflect that it was raining and it would keep raining. It was between 8 and 13 Celsius where I was riding. (It gets colder in the mountains.)
My gear was soaking up the water. I was drenched all the way through all my gear. The wind was making me cold. My fingers felt really cold but honestly, not out of the ordinary for a ride on a cold day.

In hindsight, the first sign that there was a problem was using my controls. When I went to turn off my turn signals, I honked the horn. I thought nothing of it. Then it happened again around 5 minutes later. Still, no big deal. I thought I was off my game because I was disappointed about the change in weather.

I stopped at a convenience store to get a hot coffee and use the restroom. When I took off my gloves, my fingertips were purple! I was getting frostbite. It never crossed my mind that I could get frostbite from wet gloves and wind chill. WIth the temperature above freezing, I never expected it.

At the store, they sell hot steel cans of coffee. The first can I bought seemed to hot to hold and I didn't want to risk burning my fingers or something so I held the can with the gloves on. My fingers were still cold so I bought a second one when the first one cooled down. My fingers went back to a seemingly normal color and it took 3x as long as normal to get home because I stopped every time my fingers felt too cold.

The moral of the story for me was to pay attention when something is out of the ordinary. Stop and take a minute to find out what is going on. Also, make sure you have the right gear. Prepare for what may happen. I knew it would rain later so I should have brought some gear that could handle the rain better.

Stay safe out there!

I experienced a similar problem with cold and adverse health affects in the American Southwest desert. It was dry and cold. So cold the border patrol guards on I-10 would not come out of their checkpoint.

When I felt nauseated, I stopped and found I was suffering from hypothermia and a bit of frostbite. I was lucky the store clerk where I stopped saw the skin on my face and told me to go in the bathroom and lock the door. I saw my face was pale blue in the mirror and immediately took off my snowmobile suit I had for cold weather riding.

• Wow
Reactions: Drakhen99

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts