What is easier, getting the new subscribers or watch time?

UncleL

Uncle LongBeard
Feb 29, 2020
Midlands, UK
I ride a
HD, W800, RE
I just looked at my stats and as I'm going towards this 1000/4000 number it seams that I'm getting really close with expected watch time but still far away with subscribers count. How was or is it for working for you?

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
I just looked at my stats and as I'm going towards this 1000/4000 number it seams that I'm getting really close with expected watch time but still far away with subscribers count. How was or is it for working for you?

It took a long time for me to get that magic sub number.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
View time is relatively easy to get if you put out regular content. Subs less so... but both will come if you work on it! :)

Reactions: WildOn2s and HRMV

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
I really need to pay more attention to my analytical stuff. As @HippoDrone has said though both will be possible to increase through work.

Reactions: WildOn2s

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
It really depends.
I have had two big pauze moments in my channel. So in the end subs was easier, and i;m still trying to get the 4K viewing time ;)

Reactions: UncleL and HRMV

WildOn2s

WildOn2s Vlog
Feb 18, 2020
San Antonio,Tx
I ride a
Indian Chief dark horse
I’m trying to avoid click bait titles. But hippodrones did have me focus on my tags. I work on. Them all the time. I refresh them too. I noticed a good increase. Then to work on retention is another.

Reactions: HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
It is still small numbers for me, but I consistently get 100 VPD on an older video I regularly update the tags on. I wish I could do the same with other vids too, but "how to" videos are easier to search to find the new tags that are working well.

Pooley

Wannabe tractor enthusiast
Nov 19, 2019
Derbyshire
I ride a
2003 Honda Deauville 650
Yeah, I feel like I'm going to resist "clickbait" titles. Though who knows, maybe if I ever get close to that monetization barrier I'll decide otherwise, lol.
Only clickbait I like is satirical clickbait, although I could be biased as I do this sometimes myself lol

Hippodrones: Just to clarify, are tags the ones where you put like #Beta ect. In the description?

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Only clickbait I like is satirical clickbait, although I could be biased as I do this sometimes myself lol

Hippodrones: Just to clarify, are tags the ones where you put like #Beta ect. In the description?
No mate, they are where you add tag words (or in my case sentences) into the metadata, YouTube has a box for them on the upload page.

Reactions: Pooley

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
It is still small numbers for me, but I consistently get 100 VPD on an older video I regularly update the tags on. I wish I could do the same with other vids too, but "how to" videos are easier to search to find the new tags that are working well.

That's interesting.

So you are updating tags on older videos to better correlate with current popular search topics?

Are you worrying about the order of the tags or not? I've read both that it does and does not matter, so I've no idea which is correct.

Do you keep the tags relevant to the video, or are you tagging with unrelated but popular search words too?

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
This specific video is about mounting options on bikes for 360 cameras. I always keep the tags relevant but I don't tag in the same way most do

eg: say the video I made was called "Insta360 One X, One R & GoPro Max - EPIC Motorcycle Mounting Options"
I would then put that title into the YouTube search box and see what videos come up. I will then cherry pick the best performing of those videos that are also the most relevant to my video and copy the whole of that videos title and paste that as a single tag into mine, and do the same for the other best performing vids I'd cherry picked.
Because I got on the 360 game a little earlier than most it meant that video did well to start with, and got suggested when folk watched those vids or searched for similar. When the video was made, it was just about the Insta360 One X and I titled it such, but then the GoPro Max came out, so I added that into the title and updated the tags as before but with newer videos and then when the Insta360 One R came out, I did the same again. A lot of large motovlog channels were given them to review so when they post their reviews, I update my tags again and YouTube puts my vid in their viewers suggested. With new tags, YouTube also keeps it current so when folk search, they find my video.
If you don't use relevant tags, your vid will take a nose dive quite quickly though so be careful with them.

Gemini

Los Angeles R1 Motovlogger
Apr 16, 2020
Los Angeles
I ride a
2019 Yamaha R3 ABS
This specific video is about mounting options on bikes for 360 cameras. I always keep the tags relevant but I don't tag in the same way most do

eg: say the video I made was called "Insta360 One X, One R & GoPro Max - EPIC Motorcycle Mounting Options"
I would then put that title into the YouTube search box and see what videos come up. I will then cherry pick the best performing of those videos that are also the most relevant to my video and copy the whole of that videos title and paste that as a single tag into mine, and do the same for the other best performing vids I'd cherry picked.
Because I got on the 360 game a little earlier than most it meant that video did well to start with, and got suggested when folk watched those vids or searched for similar. When the video was made, it was just about the Insta360 One X and I titled it such, but then the GoPro Max came out, so I added that into the title and updated the tags as before but with newer videos and then when the Insta360 One R came out, I did the same again. A lot of large motovlog channels were given them to review so when they post their reviews, I update my tags again and YouTube puts my vid in their viewers suggested. With new tags, YouTube also keeps it current so when folk search, they find my video.
If you don't use relevant tags, your vid will take a nose dive quite quickly though so be careful with them.

Isnt there something to be said about trying to make your stuff creative and different rather than cherry picking other content? Or do you mean just expanding upon what they do in your own way?

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
I have never thought about updating tags and such..

There might be allot to gain on older video's when i wasn't aware of how tags worked.
It is interesting material for sure man.
Like the thought process behind it.

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT

That's really interesting. I've been keeping my tags down to one to two words per tag, never thought about putting longer phrases in, let alone the title of my vid or even other vids.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Isnt there something to be said about trying to make your stuff creative and different rather than cherry picking other content? Or do you mean just expanding upon what they do in your own way?
Am not sure you understood what I was saying, my content is my own. We are talking about tags, that YouTube uses to help understand what your video is about, if I make a review of a camera, I want YouTube to know it is the same camera another channel has posted about. It is not using other peoples content, just helps get my video seen by an audience.
Untitled.jpg

Pooley

Wannabe tractor enthusiast
Nov 19, 2019
Derbyshire
I ride a
2003 Honda Deauville 650
Am not sure you understood what I was saying, my content is my own. We are talking about tags, that YouTube uses to help understand what your video is about, if I make a review of a camera, I want YouTube to know it is the same camera another channel has posted about. It is not using other peoples content, just helps get my video seen by an audience.View attachment 4830
This is super helpful :D

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts