vlog length?

Dillon159

Wannabie Member
Oct 21, 2023
I ride a
Yamaha
I have just got my fist action cam and started recording my Hare Scramble races that usually more than 90 minutes long. I plan on posting the whole race or as long as I can get wit my battery , Some people can watch the whole thing but I do know most people don't want to sit down and watch a old guy ride though the woods on a dirt bike. So I was thinking just posting a vlog of the fastest lap of each race, usually it's a 22 to 24 minute lap time. I have no clue how long the average vlog is or does that seem to long. Would like to get more people watching them as well and really no clue how to get my videos to be seen more. any help is appreciated

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
When you watch a video, how long are you willing to watch a channel you've not watched before?
I'd suggest 10-15 minutes for a hare scramble highlight vid, and link to the raw un edited version.
I make some long trail ride videos, and although I do get people watching the whole video, generally, folk get bored after 10min ish.

Slorida

Wannabie Member
Aug 19, 2023
Oldham
I ride a
Honda CBR500R, Honda NC750S and Triumph Sprint ST1050.
Youtube was aimed at 10 minute vids for a while and now shorts are the 'big thing' if you want a big channel.

I think it depends very much on the content for how long I watch for. For motor racing I might watch highlights for 15-20 minutes, but I have investment in that, a tour video I might watch for much longer. Remember that you will likely be more invested in the video than anyone else.

My average view time is only about 5 minutes for 30 minute videos though, so I'm hardly an expert on the matter.

Things to consider:

How exciting is the video?
How long would you watch similar content for?
Is there a purpose or central theme?

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
I think @Slorida nailed it. The Shorts are making long form videos seem not as good of a pay off.

So maybe upload the whole race but save that as anyone with a link can view. Then make a highlight reel of 5 minutes with a card for the whole race. Then use the highlight reel to make shorts from about 3-5 highlights?

That would get the Shorts viewer crowd in. Then the shirt attention span crowd and then those that really want to enjoy the race crowd.

Just an idea.

Dillon159

Wannabie Member
Oct 21, 2023
I ride a
Yamaha
I really appreciate the input. A race is usually 1:45 to 2hrs long. A lap is 7 to 9 miles long and can average around 22 min. Hare Scramble races thought the woods so lots of movement. I have 5 race videos on you tube atm. 2 full races and 3 just random parts of the races that are around 5 min each.
Watching a video on you tube 3 years ago seeing one of these races I guess inspired me to get back on a dirt bike after not even setting on one in over 25 years. Now that I am actively riding in these I just want to have a good quality video that might lead more people into this sport. I was thinking posting maybe the fastest full lap of the race to give a glimpse into riding through the woods for 7 or so miles through the trees and hills is like. then post a link to the Whole race in the description. Maybe a high light video?

MotoWolfUK

L Plate Member
Mar 4, 2023
Hampshire, UK
linktr.ee
I ride a
Wife
I really appreciate the input. A race is usually 1:45 to 2hrs long. A lap is 7 to 9 miles long and can average around 22 min. Hare Scramble races thought the woods so lots of movement. I have 5 race videos on you tube atm. 2 full races and 3 just random parts of the races that are around 5 min each.
Watching a video on you tube 3 years ago seeing one of these races I guess inspired me to get back on a dirt bike after not even setting on one in over 25 years. Now that I am actively riding in these I just want to have a good quality video that might lead more people into this sport. I was thinking posting maybe the fastest full lap of the race to give a glimpse into riding through the woods for 7 or so miles through the trees and hills is like. then post a link to the Whole race in the description. Maybe a high light video?
That sounds like a great idea - highlights as the public video with the full video in description ✌️

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I'll agree with the others - 10-15 mins for the cut-down version of the race. I think 10-15 mins is the sweet spot for long-form content. From my own data, that seems to be the case.

I'd post the whole video and see what happens, but also take the best clips and make shorts out of them, and post them. Then, you can take the full race, cut it down to the 10-15 min length, and link to the full-length video.

The triple threat!

-John

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
Just do both. Upload a full length version of the race and then make a condensed version around 10-15 minutes.

On YouTube you can do anything you want! :cool:

SweetTripl

Sweet Triple
Mar 23, 2021
United Kingdom
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple R
I would probably just pick out the highlights 10 minutes max. I have posted longer videos in the past and regretted it, I'm invested in the footage as it's me and my ride but 99% of people only want the highlight reel. Your analytics will reflect this, if you post an hour long video lot's of people may not click as it's a big commitment of time. I'd do a highlight reel (10m max) and if you want to post a full lap or race do a separate video, you can then compare analytics and see the results?

Reactions: Drakhen99

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts