Virginia for Motorcycling and Off Roading?

Skyd

Wannabie Member
May 2, 2021
New Hampshire
I ride a
2020 RPS Hawk 250
Hey guys,

So - "you may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one" (100 skyd points to those who get that reference)

anyway - yes I often dream and have aspirations that maybe are out of reach but I fixate. I've been thinking for a while now I'd like a piece of land south of here - much further south. LIke somewhere with a longer riding season that I can drive to from NH and stay a week or two and ride most months of the year, maybe save for Dec-Feb or something.

Virginia looks promising, specifically east of Richmond above the James River. Climate fits my requirements, the state scores decently on the "freedom scale" (I'm libertarian). The property prices aren't bad and neither are the taxes.

So as I continute my research for this little pipe dream, I wondered how is the motorcycle riding and what about riding off road? I like riding on road but LOVE riding off road. I did some searches but it's kind of a hard thing to find, mostly regulations about you cant ride OHRV and Trail bikes on the highways, public lands, or private land without written permission. Same thing here in NH, but there are still trails around that you can ride, albeit not as many as I'd like.

So anyway, anyone know how things are for Two-Wheeled enthusiasts down in that neck of the woods. I'm also open to other ideas, this is just a research stage for me at this piont. I'd like to be able to drive from Northern NH to wherever in les than 16 hours....12 hours would be better.

AAAAAND Go!

Reactions: HippoDrone

Dewey316

Dewey|Rides
Oct 1, 2020
I ride a
BWM F800gs / DR650 / Honda CM450E
Are you set on staying out east? Coming out West you will have much more land to ride and less regulations. Places in the SW have awesome terrain and good weather. Once you are loading up a trailer to move stuff, what is a 3 day drive vs a 1-2 day drive.

Reactions: Skyd

Skyd

Wannabie Member
May 2, 2021
New Hampshire
I ride a
2020 RPS Hawk 250
Are you set on staying out east? Coming out West you will have much more land to ride and less regulations. Places in the SW have awesome terrain and good weather. Once you are loading up a trailer to move stuff, what is a 3 day drive vs a 1-2 day drive.

Well I'm not looking to move, this would be asecond property that I'd plop a camper on, or maybe build a small cabin or something. I doubt I'll ever change my primary residency from NH, its' hard to find a state that checks as many freedom boxes for me as NH does. There's some crappy things to, like -30 degrees in the winter at times but it's a trade off.

Dewey316

Dewey|Rides
Oct 1, 2020
I ride a
BWM F800gs / DR650 / Honda CM450E
I was just mentioning it, if you are going for a couple weeks at a time, driving a little further might be worth it. Just because if population and land ownership, nothing on the East coast is going to be anything like the western states when it comes to dual sport and off-road options.

Skyd

Wannabie Member
May 2, 2021
New Hampshire
I ride a
2020 RPS Hawk 250
I was just mentioning it, if you are going for a couple weeks at a time, driving a little further might be worth it. Just because if population and land ownership, nothing on the East coast is going to be anything like the western states when it comes to dual sport and off-road options.
Oh for sure, the west has us beat everytime on that stuff. I have a friend in Redlands, CA. But ya I'm looking for something I can drive in a day spend a week or two and drive a day back.

I had a buddy that lived in Colorado Springs for a while too and he had all kinds of places to ride there.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts