Upcoming dilemma

Baldbiker

L Plate Member
Mar 7, 2021
I ride a
Africa Twin DCT
Yes folks, I have stumbled upon an upcoming dilemma. You see, my original plan for next summer was a 25-30 day trip to the east coast of Canada and back, motels, the whole way. A bit of a bucket list dream.
The plan was already set, wife approved, daughter approved, no problems with work schedule or budget. I was free to go.

But then my conscience stepped in. I had issues with leaving the girls behind for that long, to fend for themselves for whatever summer trip they could put together without me.
I also have some misgivings about leaving home for that long. Last big trip I was getting homesick after less than a week, was I really going to enjoy an entire month as a wandering homeless vagabond? Partly yes, maybe, and partly no.

So after much discussion and deliberation, I have decided not to do the motorcycle trip out east this summer, instead I will be taking the girls with me, hooking up the popup camper on the back, and taking them with me in the truck. Both girls would love to go I know that, and I would love to take them and share it with them, but it means without a motorcycle.
20170812_175839.jpg

I still have some misgivings though. While solving the problem of what to do with the family, and eliminating feelings of homesickness while on the trip, I have also given up miles upon miles of good content that would have been created for my page.

I suppose I can still do a mini trip in my local area at another point in the summer, but they will be shorter trips and most likely ones that I've already done and uploaded. Ah well, the sacrifices we make for family.

I could take all the video equipment and make videos of the trip anyway, all the places I stay and such, and motorcyclists can check out all the places to stay and things to see, but there wouldn't be any motorcycles in it, or any riding footage. Kind of dumb to do that. So... yes, a bit of an upcoming dilemma.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Make the content you want to make mate, but maybe if having a family holiday, keep it that, and just enjoy the time with your wife and kids.
I've never really struggled with homesickness as such, 3 months under the waves on a submarine had me wanting to be home, but I wasn't home sick, I was just sick of being on the sub, same with being based in Scotland and living down in the south of England, I was not home sick up there, it is a beautiful place, but I was sick of the travelling each week to get there and back when I wasn't at sea.
I think with my lifestyle, it doesn't really matter where I do it, as I can do it anywhere that has internet... but I (currently) have no partner, and have no intention to ever have kids.

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Yes folks, I have stumbled upon an upcoming dilemma. You see, my original plan for next summer was a 25-30 day trip to the east coast of Canada and back, motels, the whole way. A bit of a bucket list dream.
The plan was already set, wife approved, daughter approved, no problems with work schedule or budget. I was free to go.

But then my conscience stepped in. I had issues with leaving the girls behind for that long, to fend for themselves for whatever summer trip they could put together without me.
I also have some misgivings about leaving home for that long. Last big trip I was getting homesick after less than a week, was I really going to enjoy an entire month as a wandering homeless vagabond? Partly yes, maybe, and partly no.

So after much discussion and deliberation, I have decided not to do the motorcycle trip out east this summer, instead I will be taking the girls with me, hooking up the popup camper on the back, and taking them with me in the truck. Both girls would love to go I know that, and I would love to take them and share it with them, but it means without a motorcycle. View attachment 6144

I still have some misgivings though. While solving the problem of what to do with the family, and eliminating feelings of homesickness while on the trip, I have also given up miles upon miles of good content that would have been created for my page.

I suppose I can still do a mini trip in my local area at another point in the summer, but they will be shorter trips and most likely ones that I've already done and uploaded. Ah well, the sacrifices we make for family.

I could take all the video equipment and make videos of the trip anyway, all the places I stay and such, and motorcyclists can check out all the places to stay and things to see, but there wouldn't be any motorcycles in it, or any riding footage. Kind of dumb to do that. So... yes, a bit of an upcoming dilemma.
I totally get what you feel. I still feel it even though my wife prefers I get out of her hair and the kids are one in college and one sullen teen about to start college but at home.

Here is something I did when our kids were small. Plan A was to take one of them with me and alternate years for the trip. Plan B was to have me ride and the wife drive behind me with the kids. We stayed in touch on the go via CB.

Plan B took us from Tennessee to Wisconson then another was to Florida and another to Maryland.

Once to the destination, we all did stuff together.

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
...I was just sick of being on the sub, same with being based in Scotland and living down in the south of England, ... no intention to ever have kids.
Smartest words I have read the whole day.

@Baldbiker how about breaking the bank and doing both variants of the trip together?
you put together the motorcycle route, your girls put together a girly trip route, and then you see where you can combine sleeping together and sightseeing together, and which parts you will do separately.
edit: and if they will record their part of the trip too, you might be able to make even cooler travel videos out of that.

Dewey316

Dewey|Rides
Oct 1, 2020
I ride a
BWM F800gs / DR650 / Honda CM450E
I don't know why it's a delima, we all have lives, I do a lot of things other than motorcycle that I don't film and put up on my channel. That is a healthy balance, it's a good thing.

As someone who has done month long trips before. It takes a certain mindset, and honestly it isn't for everyone. You have to be pretty OK with being alone. BUT, it also takes me about a week to get into travel mode, and leave the real world behind. If you push through that, you might be surprised at how you react and how much you enjoy it. Or you may hate it. The whole point of riding is to enjoy it, and if you find you don't enjoy being away for long periods, then just do shorter rides.

Reactions: Baldbiker

Arfa

Beginner Biker Adventures
Nov 17, 2020
London
www.beginnerbiker.com
I ride a
Yamaha FZ6
Sounds like you need to build up to a long trip away like you originally planned. Maybe try some shorter adventures, 1 week, then a fortnight, etc. See how you get on.

@Theodor's plan of a combined family camper and motorcycle trip sounds good too. Depends if you're family are happy with all that driving, whilst you're riding I guess.

Another option would be to hire a bike for a day or two at various locations you stop over at. I've rented from Eagle Rider several times, who have always been great (albeit not cheap) and have lots of places to rent from all over the US and world. Can be good to mix things up, try different bikes etc.

Nonetheless, the selfless decision to spend the time with your family instead of solo biking is an admirable thing todo, I'm sure your wife and daughter will appreciate the time together. So I'm somewhat with @HippoDrone here, don't dilute that, enjoy the valuable family time for what it is.

TwistyM

Wannabie Member
Dec 15, 2021
I ride a
Z1000sx, Transalp700 and anything you give me the keys to!
If it was me.... 'laters!' however, a couple of thoughts came to mind....
1. Do the trip as planned but have the girls fly out to meet you a couple of times for a weekend. this way you won't be riding everyday and you all get a couple of days together every 10 or 14 days.

2. Divide your trip into sections and ask other bikers, local to those sections, to ride and record it for you to edit later on? Sounds daft but you may end up with a great montage video of Canada!

Apr 6, 2018
My first thoughts, as a A-frame travel trailer owner was... Put the family in the tow vehicle. They drive. You ride.

Where are you coming from? Personally, if it were me leaving Toronto I would...

Two up the missus through the Muskokas, airbnb for a night of scenery and practicing making babies. Ride to Montreal (French Canada) for a night in the city and practicing baby making in French this time. Third night in Quebec city for one more French Canadian experience, and more practice.

Then I would drop her ass off at the train station. She can easily catch a train back to Union station in Toronto.

At that point i continue the rest of the way to the Cabot Trail (east coast) solo.

Last edited:

Apr 6, 2018
I'd do it that way because the girl I'm seeing can't drive my truck and pull my trailer. It's not a choice thing, her vision isn't good enough to let her pass the test.

In your case, I'm assuming you have two drivers, I'd say two vehicles for part of the trip, plan some interesting places around where they'd like to go. They turn back whenever they're ready. You and I meet up and pick up a couple strippers who coincidentally want to see the coast.

I'm thinking August. Sounds good?

Reactions: Baldbiker

Baldbiker

L Plate Member
Mar 7, 2021
I ride a
Africa Twin DCT
Well, thanks for the responses, some of them quite entertaining to say the least :) So I've been doing some investigating and turns out Newfoundland is out due to the mandatory 5 day quarantine. I contacted them to make sure riding alone didn't count but no, apparently not even so much as stopping for gas is allowed. I would probably get away with it, but if for some reason I was caught it could mean thousands in fines.

If I just go Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and back, it's allowable without quarantine but everything will be closed or severely restricted. So it's just me and the road, which sounds fine to some, but I'd like to at least stop at a restaurant or tourist location along the way. I'm tired of having nowhere to go when it comes time to eat.

Sooooo, looks like the plan has changed. Forget it. Not worth going this year. Covid screwed it up again. I'll be doing a couple shorter 4-5 day trips around Ontario again. Not much new content for the channel but really have no choice. I can still do the big trip with the family in the camper this way too.

20200720_185000.jpg

Apr 6, 2018
We're both motovloggers in Ontario, with the same trailer type, same table cloth, and, well, mine is only half pug lol

miley temp.jpg

Why not ride up around Sault St. Marie and Tobermory, around the highlands, through Muskokas, etc.?

A LOT to see in Ontario.

For Euro friends:
For reference, Europe is about 4.2 million square kilometers.
Ontario, our province, is 1 million square kilometers

Meaning, while we are locked up, there is still about 1/4 the size of Europe we can explore without quarantine worries.

Last edited:

nophix

Where's my coffee?
Apr 15, 2012
Stevens Point WI
I ride a
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
We're actually buying a toy hauler for this EXACT reason. I can take my bike with, and dip out for a bit each day. I get to see the things I want to see, and ride the places I want to ride, but then we can enjoy it as a family too. Bonus is, I'm used to being up before dawn, and the wife and kids only motivate before noon for work/school. And when it's just the wife and I we can take both bikes and have a base of operations, since she's not the long distance type.

Apr 6, 2018
Nice! I originally went that route but Lazy Acres RV totally burned me. Had me waiting months and then wouldn't sell me the trailer I had put $4k down on months earlier. Definitely recommend staying away from them. Good luck with the search though, hopefully it will be more fun for you than it was for me! lol

Baldbiker

L Plate Member
Mar 7, 2021
I ride a
Africa Twin DCT
Im working on another Northern Ontario trip now, but haven't settled on anything too concrete yet. Yes, Algoma country is great, but was hoping for something new this year.

Reactions: R-Rated

Baldbiker

L Plate Member
Mar 7, 2021
I ride a
Africa Twin DCT
Let's go to Manitoba! There's a brunette who loves me there lol
We should do a trip, and help each other do our vlogs. Maybe just a short one at first to see if we get along!

Apr 6, 2018
Two guys each shooting a cross Canada motorcycle trip...

Little known fact: They're actually just camping in their a-frame trailers and taking their bikes on and off the truck to shoot a few minutes of footage in between driving their tow vehicles lol

Baldbiker

L Plate Member
Mar 7, 2021
I ride a
Africa Twin DCT
Two guys each shooting a cross Canada motorcycle trip...

Little known fact: They're actually just camping in their a-frame trailers and taking their bikes on and off the truck to shoot a few minutes of footage in between driving their tow vehicles lol
You sir, are a bonified genius!

• Haha
Reactions: Guest

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts