Two Week European Motocamping Trip, Vlogging the whole way.

harleyvlog

Wannabie Member
May 29, 2022
I ride a
2018 Streetglide Special
Wife and I are headed out today on a 2 week trip from Germany to Spain. Spending a lot of time in Italy and South of France. Will be camping for the most part and hopefully Vlogging the whole thing. We’re new at this. Any tips?

Matt

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Wife and I are headed out today on a 2 week trip from Germany to Spain. Spending a lot of time in Italy and South of France. Will be camping for the most part and hopefully Vlogging the whole thing. We’re new at this. Any tips?

Matt

Spy ahead for power outlets at campgrounds. Have a good extension cord and surge protector. Also portable power batteries you can use to recharge camera batteries when riding. I know the Harleys have adapters but sometimes they can be slow. Worse is when you stop and the bike is off then nothing is charging.

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Spy ahead for power outlets at campgrounds. Have a good extension cord and surge protector. Also portable power batteries you can use to recharge camera batteries when riding. I know the Harleys have adapters but sometimes they can be slow. Worse is when you stop and the bike is off then nothing is charging.
Oh most important is to make sure she stays happy. If the passenger is not comfortable then the whole trip can go badly.

Reactions: HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Yup, the hardest thing about travel vlogging when camping is power. I use several powerbanks to charge my phone and batteries when off the bike. I tend to keep my phone charging when on the bike too. You can recharge the powerbanks from the bike on each ride, it won't necessarily keep up with your energy consumption, but it will slow it down and if they also can be solar charged, then when off bike, you can leave them in the sun to gain a little back too. I have a powerbank that can last me a long weekend away (4 days) easily when using a single camera and mobile phone, so if you both use as much power, you'll need to double up on them, or recharge them more often.
Try only using your camera on the interesting parts of the riding, highways are not generally very interesting, country back roads or mountain passes are, so save any talking you want to do for those bits if you plan on in helmet narration. This will save battery, make the footage more interesting, and also shorter, so your memory cards will last longer and you'll be able to make the videos shorter to keep them engaging :)
If you record stuff off camera, and are talking, try and include yourselves and the view/POI in the shot so the audience feels like you are chatting with them personally. Sometimes that isn't practical so mix it up a bit.
Oh, and viewers seem to love campfires and cooking your evening meals, so if doing that, record it! :D
The main tip is to have fun first, record second... if you spend too much time on making videos, you'll forget to have your own fun! :cool:

• Love
Reactions: R-Rated

harleyvlog

Wannabie Member
May 29, 2022
I ride a
2018 Streetglide Special
Yup, the hardest thing about travel vlogging when camping is power. I use several powerbanks to charge my phone and batteries when off the bike. I tend to keep my phone charging when on the bike too. You can recharge the powerbanks from the bike on each ride, it won't necessarily keep up with your energy consumption, but it will slow it down and if they also can be solar charged, then when off bike, you can leave them in the sun to gain a little back too. I have a powerbank that can last me a long weekend away (4 days) easily when using a single camera and mobile phone, so if you both use as much power, you'll need to double up on them, or recharge them more often.
Try only using your camera on the interesting parts of the riding, highways are not generally very interesting, country back roads or mountain passes are, so save any talking you want to do for those bits if you plan on in helmet narration. This will save battery, make the footage more interesting, and also shorter, so your memory cards will last longer and you'll be able to make the videos shorter to keep them engaging :)
If you record stuff off camera, and are talking, try and include yourselves and the view/POI in the shot so the audience feels like you are chatting with them personally. Sometimes that isn't practical so mix it up a bit.
Oh, and viewers seem to love campfires and cooking your evening meals, so if doing that, record it! :D
The main tip is to have fun first, record second... if you spend too much time on making videos, you'll forget to have your own fun! :cool:
I really appreciate all those tips. My wife is on the back panning around with a camera and the first day she literally filmed the entire ride…all flat highway. But we’re getting better. Today was Mountain highway in the Swiss Alps. I swear it’s the prettiest ride I’ve ever had.

Power isn’t too much of an issue yet. Most days we were able to schedule campsites with hookups and we brought a king extension cord to make it work. We’re both still working so not having it isn’t really an option unfortunately.

And, we just arrived into Nice France…600m from the beach. It’s going to be a good week.

• Love
Reactions: HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
It is gorgeous on the sea front in Nice, I stopped there for breakfast on my Euro trip

Reactions: harleyvlog

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts