The Royalty Free Music Thread

FloridaMan

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2018
Polk County, Florida
I ride a
Boulevard s83 & Boulevard s40
Figure there should be a thread where we share our sources for music.
Share a source you have and include information of the permission restrictions of the music.
General courtesy rule with any music you use is to always give credit to the author in your video, but some authors you will need to obtain permission of use first.

Kevin McLeod - www.incompetech.com
- Great artist with tons of royalty free music

The Hamster Alliance - www.hamsteralliance.com
- Great artist with tons of royalty free music

NoCopyrightSounds - www.youtube.com/user/NoCopyrightSounds
- YT channel with tons of great royalty free music

Newgrounds - www.newgrounds.com
- A source of many different authors. Quality varies. What I do is I'll send a permission request to the author of a song I wish to use and if I don't get a response I will just use it. Once used a song from here that must have had some stolen music to it cause YouTube detected it, so watch out for that.

FreeSound - www.freesound.org
- Little music on here, but a great source for sound effects.

Tom Roush - www.youtube.com/user/MusicOfTomRoush/videos - www.youtube.com/channel/UCFpns5j4WO2zBA2HNuyUhAA
- A YouTuber that I received permission from to use his music in my videos. Ask for his permission first and make sure you don't use any of his covers that are copywrited.

Timothy Twiss - www.youtube.com/user/giggletoot/
- A YouTuber that I received permission from to use his music in my videos. Ask for his permission first and make sure you don't use any of his covers that are copywrited.

MotorPont

Wannabe Swedish biker
Mar 31, 2020
Sweden
I ride a
Kawasaki Zzr1400
I use Youtube's own music library most of the time I need to add music. It has great search function too and you can sort by instrument and mood and stuff like that. It's enough for me at least.

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
You forgot to add the YouTube Audio Library.

What happened to me a long time ago was that the music I used was free, but the creator later on sold the music rights to some company, then all my previous videos were copyright claimed. From then on I vowed never to trust anyone giving "free", since YT is the one managing the Audio Library claims it to be free use, and I always quote the source as Audio Library if I use it.

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
Awesome idea putting this up dude

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
I've used this site quite a lot. Nearly all of the tracks are under the Creative Commons or Public Domain licensing agreements. However, if your channel is monetized there may be a conflict with that kind of license.

-Wolf

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
I've used this site quite a lot. Nearly all of the tracks are under the Creative Commons or Public Domain licensing agreements. However, if your channel is monetized there may be a conflict with that kind of license.

-Wolf
That's true as well, using free music for paid content.. But in the YT Audio Library I think that's covered, it doesn't state the video using the music must be un-monetized or such.. I'm not 100% sure though, but so far I'm not facing any issue with it, plus I rarely use music, and often it's just for background ambient and it's barely audible..

Reactions: scooterwuf and HRMV

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
Yeah, I think you're good with the YT audio library.

I tell my film students to avoid a person's YT channel 'free' music offers as they are often click-bait scams designed to get a copyright strike against anyone who'll post their songs on their videos and therefore get ad revenue when YT places them on their channel.

- Wolf

Reactions: HippoDrone and HRMV

FloridaMan

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2018
Polk County, Florida
I ride a
Boulevard s83 & Boulevard s40
Yeah, I think you're good with the YT audio library.

I tell my film students to avoid a person's YT channel 'free' music offers as they are often click-bait scams designed to get a copyright strike against anyone who'll post their songs on their videos and therefore get ad revenue when YT places them on their channel.

- Wolf
Some are like that sure, but some just want their music to get out there and heard. It would be a shame to limit the music people get to hear to the YouTube library. On videos you can make good YT monetization money I would be careful what you use, but on your other videos use whatever. There's plenty of artists out there you can trust and I would hate the actions of others to be reflected on them.

WEB

L Plate Member
Feb 14, 2020
I ride a
Triumph Thruxton + Harley Lowrider
That's true as well, using free music for paid content.. But in the YT Audio Library I think that's covered, it doesn't state the video using the music must be un-monetized or such.. I'm not 100% sure though, but so far I'm not facing any issue with it, plus I rarely use music, and often it's just for background ambient and it's barely audible..

YT Audio Library is specifically licensed for use on any YouTube channel without problem... whereas FreeMusicArchive i've had stuff off there flagged

Which sucks as all the FreeMusicArchive music is generally better :(

If you're getting serious though, nothing beats a subscription. (obviously)

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
All of the copyright flags I've received on TY have been from Freemusicarchive tracks. However, I've contested them all all and after showing the tracks I used are licensed under Creative Common's agreements the flags were removed.

A lot of what happened is a bogus company will claim to be the copyright owner. In the past YT didn't investigate their claim, but automatically took their side and hit the channel owner with a flag. YT has since changed here policy and (I hope) the flag incidences will now be less.

- Wolf

Reactions: SighBored

UncleL

Uncle LongBeard
Feb 29, 2020
Midlands, UK
I ride a
HD, W800, RE
All of the copyright flags I've received on TY have been from Freemusicarchive tracks. However, I've contested them all all and after showing the tracks I used are licensed under Creative Common's agreements the flags were removed.

A lot of what happened is a bogus company will claim to be the copyright owner. In the past YT didn't investigate their claim, but automatically took their side and hit the channel owner with a flag. YT has since changed here policy and (I hope) the flag incidences will now be less.

- Wolf
same happened to me. I put the copyright claims under dispute sending them message that I downloaded it as CC, and the claims were removed. I think it's one of the tricks to make money on music. Think how many people will never dispute that claim. Anyway, I'm mostly using YT library now.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Dude I had no idea the audio library existed. This is a game changer!
Some of the music requires you to credit the creator and post a link, but a lot you can just use when you want with no strings :)

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
Yeah I like the YT Audio Library too. I've not used much of it in public videos yet but I've done a lot with them on "in process" or even videos I trashed. The search interface is really nice to use.

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Some of the music requires you to credit the creator and post a link, but a lot you can just use when you want with no strings :)

I tend to always mention the creator and song title in the description somewhere.
Just extra stuff the vid can be found on i assume xD

In the old days i didn't liked the youtube audio library, but from what i read hear i has improved quite a lot.
Good to hear/read ;)

ulijonroth

Roads Await Me
Apr 2, 2018
Istanbul, Turkey
www.yollarbenibekler.com
I ride a
KTM Duke 390
When I first started my channel, I used some audio from other youtube channels which claimed "copyright free" songs. In a year, nearly all of the songs were copyright claimed. In depth, there's more than a scam. Indeed most of them are not scam. Let me explain.

A music creator uploads the music to a "copyright free" channel, to gain popularity. In time, as this songs get popular, the creator gets a contract with a publisher, and these songs they offered for free become licensed. Nearly all the claims were from these publishers. Frankly speaking, I don't even try to claim dispute or so on. I remove the song, replace with another from YT library, the video quality gets down, but there's no conflict left.

For the last year, I only used Youtube Library, as it gets better. But I had one issue that my jaw has dropped.

A guy has taken a Youtube Library song, remixed it and somehow got the copyright to the remixed song. And he directly copyright claimed all the videos that used it. I got in contact with Youtube on twitter, and they told me that many users were copyright claimed, and after a day or two, the claims were removed.

In addition, I use envato elements website for my main job, and this system offers many graphic and video templates, website themes and plagins, and also great quality songs. The best part of it, you become a member, get the song, use it on your video in your subscription period, and use the song forever without copyright claims. Not free, but good alternative for everyone who is into graphic and media design.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B.Vation Editing Talk 25

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts