Supporting other Motovloggers - or not really maybe who knows

Gorilla

I'm actually 40% Gorilla
Jun 7, 2019
Ireland
www.instagram.com
I ride a
2007 Yamaha Fz6 S2 & 1987 Honda "Super" Magna VF750c
So I have a question, when you support other motovloggers you like do you always watch the whole video?

Personally I do or at least well over 90% of it even if I've to pause it to run away for a bit. My issue is I have some people commenting on multiple videos in quick succession and very clearly not watching the video but commenting as if they have.

Now this is a non issue for me as it's purely a hobby, however I dislike dishonesty. Am I being harsh or silly? :D Obviously I don't expect people to watch aaaall of my videos all the time however honest comments/feedback is what I'm after, even if it's harsh.

No response no matter how harsh will be taken personally :) And I'm genuinely interested in your thoughts as I don't really know whether to play along with said commentators or not, As of now i don't reply to them as I don't know what to say :(

Gorilla

I'm actually 40% Gorilla
Jun 7, 2019
Ireland
www.instagram.com
I ride a
Also to clarify in case people go hunting this is mainly referring to a friend of mine who has a large subscriber base. You wont find any unreplied to comments or anything :D

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
My channels average view time suggests that is quite common unfortunately. I'd much prefer to have a sub count that reflected those that actually want to watch my content rather than someone who just wants me to sub them back.
Time is a precious commodity, and people only have a limited amount of spare time.It would be awesome if we could see through the analytics on each video what bits are actually watched and what bits are skipped by people as it would allow us to focus our editing on the bits that are enjoyed more.

Reactions: Gorilla

Gorilla

I'm actually 40% Gorilla
Jun 7, 2019
Ireland
www.instagram.com
I ride a
My channels average view time suggests that is quite common unfortunately. I'd much prefer to have a sub count that reflected those that actually want to watch my content rather than someone who just wants me to sub them back.
Time is a precious commodity, and people only have a limited amount of spare time.It would be awesome if we could see through the analytics on each video what bits are actually watched and what bits are skipped by people as it would allow us to focus our editing on the bits that are enjoyed more.
Absolutely. I'm pretty up front about not doing the whole sub for sub thing I will give every one who I find vaguely interesting a full watch and give them a chance and sub if I like them!

That would be excellent absolutely! Glad I'm not the only one. :) like I said it's not even the watching a little of it I really don't mind that if you only enjoy certain bits! Just be honest :)

Reactions: HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
YouTube likes interaction though, so if someone takes the time to comment on your vid, as long as it isn't a meaningless comment, then in my book they all deserve a reply.... it doesn't mean you have to watch all their vids, or even their channel!
I seem to get around the same amount of comments as likes (ish) and that is normally from around 10-15% of the views.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
like I said it's not even the watching a little of it I really don't mind that if you only enjoy certain bits! Just be honest :)
I have lost several subs from comments I have made on their vids as either I worded them badly, or they didn't like my point of view, so I imagine most would rather not say publicly any criticism or feedback for fear of that happening to them. That is the good thing about this forum, you can ask for feedback on a post from folk, I think most members who took the time to watch would give constructive feedback and it would not be all public on YouTube so a little more honest maybe.

Gorilla

I'm actually 40% Gorilla
Jun 7, 2019
Ireland
www.instagram.com
I ride a
Oh absolutely! Comments that have actual meaning to the subject I'd always reply to I love talking to people on YouTube :) same I always seem to hit 20ish likes after a few weeks on all my videos irregardless of overall views!

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
As your audience grows, the interaction will too, but folk will come and go too. If you are able to keep an early subscriber interested for years then that is quite a compliment from them I think! :)

Gorilla

I'm actually 40% Gorilla
Jun 7, 2019
Ireland
www.instagram.com
I ride a
Haha give me a few years and we'll see have I even managed to keep myself interested :) fine talking to you as always Hippo!

I have to go drink some buckfast now for a friend's bday :)

• Haha

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Buckfast... breakfast of champions.... no pissheads! :D have a good eve dude :)

Riderguide

Neil - The Rider Guider
Feb 24, 2019
South Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha Tenere 700 T7
Okay, here's my opinion at risk of shooting myself in the foot. I have only a few (maybe three or four?) that I've hit the notify bell for. However, you lot are my core subscriptions, if I'm honest I don't get a huge amount of time to view a lot of content, like most we have proper jobs and wife/partner given chores in and amongst. I subscribe to my fellow motovloggers out of support as they've supported me with advice and the sub back and that's hugely appreciated, but I've come to conclusion I actually don't expect you guys to view that much of everyone elses content as I expect you all to be busy doing your own content to be bothered about mine. If it's madly important I feel you lot on here need to see a particular bit of content I put up I'll ask for it to be promoted on here for your opinions. I had a chat with my wife about it all today, she is a big user of YouTube, watches all sorts of educational stuff, nutrition things etc. Only sub she has is to my channel, so she can get notified when I upload and she then knows my chores were all done last minute before she got home from work as she was notified I was pissing about on my editing all day haha. No hiding eh? I have 143 subscribers, I'd be surprised if I ever get near 143 views on all my videos for some time yet - maybe one day :) ...... I bet that at least half of my views are from non subscribers. I only comment on stuff I've watched through, I generally see a video and save it to watch later if it catches my eye and I haven't got the time straight away to watch it all.

themagpie

As the Magpie Flies
Jun 18, 2019
Portland, OR & Corvallis, MT
www.asthemagpieflies.com
I ride a
2016 Honda CB500x, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800xc, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 1980 Suzuki GS850gl, Batavus Moped, 1972 Honda CB175
In my personal opinion/experience, even if they only watch for a little bit and jump off that's still a view, even if they leave a super generic comment, that's still a comment, and Engagement is vital for growth. As much as I don't always enjoy the "great video." comments because of how un-creative they are, but at the same time I'm grateful because I can see who's been watching. And as a consumer that watches a lot of content, I'm not always moved to leave a detailed or inspired comment, but I want them to know I was there, and I watched.
I do make an effort to reply to every single comment, even if it is just 'thanks', because it encourages them to engage with more of my content, to come back to my videos if they forgot about the fact that they even commented on my stuff.
I will say though, that whenever I get the "great video please check out my content blah blah" I always delete them and I block their channel, because ain't nobody got time for that.

Gorilla

I'm actually 40% Gorilla
Jun 7, 2019
Ireland
www.instagram.com
I ride a
@RiderSkill and @themagpie both good points to be fair. Magpie I really like the block idea I've deleted a fair few comments that are pure shite hawkery but blocking is a good idea too. You get comments like "wow super relaxing" ........... really me filtering between lorries is relaxing :D and all your videos are on makeup?? I smell lies Chewbacca! So yeah......basically all that nonsense is to represent I agree with you :D

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts