Struggling to find the Holy Trinity

DrRich

Wannabie Member
Jun 13, 2016
I ride a
BMW GS
Morning

My DriftGhost S came out worse after meeting a Russian drunk driver.

Time to replace but I’m struggling to find a camera that has the following:

1. 3.5mm waterproof mic socket
2. Wrist worn remote to start/stop filming
3. 4K recording

any advice very gratefully received I’m going in circles

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Not sure there is much that fits the bill TBH. The modern GoPro cameras all need an adaptor to run a mic

Reactions: Riderguide

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
The Hero 4 Black will do 4k but only at 30fps and no stabilisation

Riderguide

Neil - The Rider Guider
Feb 24, 2019
South Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha Tenere 700 T7
Sony FDRX3000 (i have one for a rear view also) ... I'll post a pick of my set up later when I get home from work ... have had to (easily) adapt the waterproof casing so I can use the mic. I have a unique system of mounting it too which I'll be doing a video of at some point. Coolest set up ever. Has stability, 4K, 3.5mm mic and there's a wrist remote available which is also handlebar mountable I think. To be fair I don't have/use a remote. The camera has been the least troublesome I've tried, GoPro are a NoGo for me now, too many problems, Drift are hit & miss but I like the X & still use an XL as a back up always on the bike mounted.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: HippoDrone

DrRich

Wannabie Member
Jun 13, 2016
I ride a
BMW GS
Sony FDRX3000 (i have one for a rear view also) ... I'll post a pick of my set up later when I get home from work ... have had to (easily) adapt the waterproof casing so I can use the mic. I have a unique system of mounting it too which I'll be doing a video of at some point. Coolest set up ever. Has stability, 4K, 3.5mm mic and there's a wrist remote available which is also handlebar mountable I think. To be fair I don't have/use a remote. The camera has been the least troublesome I've tried, GoPro are a NoGo for me now, too many problems, Drift are hit & miss but I like the X & still use an XL as a back up always on the bike mounted.
Oh wow this sounds great!! Thank you very much

Riderguide

Neil - The Rider Guider
Feb 24, 2019
South Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha Tenere 700 T7
At risk of being accused of promoting my channel - watch my Yamaha T7 test ride in 1080HD and fast forward to the off road stuff for the stability, looks real good. Link to my YT below.

Reactions: DrRich

DrRich

Wannabie Member
Jun 13, 2016
I ride a
BMW GS
At risk of being accused of promoting my channel - watch my Yamaha T7 test ride in 1080HD and fast forward to the off road stuff for the stability, looks real good. Link to my YT below.
Thanks - the stability looks very good (similar to the go pro 9 really). I don't understand why wanting 4k, a remote and a wire to helmet mic should be such a tough request these days but the Sony looks impressive!!

Reactions: motosera

motosera

Weirdo, mosher, freak
Jun 4, 2020
Cambridgeshire UK
www.motosera.com
I ride a
Honda CBR1100XX and Buel XB9R Custom
Thanks - the stability looks very good (similar to the go pro 9 really). I don't understand why wanting 4k, a remote and a wire to helmet mic should be such a tough request these days but the Sony looks impressive!!

You're right, it shouldn't be hard...

Trouble is every external connector is a potential point for water to get in and the main market for things like GoPro don't need external mic's but do need to be waterproof without a bulky housing. The vast majority use them as action cam's and don't need to record voice etc easily. Sure plenty of vloggers use them, but most use full frame or compact cameras.

A 3.5mm jack is also quite a big thing to fit into a compact housing so presents an interesting packaging/engineering issue in an already cramped chassis.

Riderguide

Neil - The Rider Guider
Feb 24, 2019
South Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha Tenere 700 T7
Interesting thing is the FDRX3000 is now a few years old. Been no updates to the model. It does what it does and does it pretty well. But it’s not a typical action cam shape but I’ve managed to adapt some cool fittings ... I’ve adapted Quadlock phone mounts to the bike and my helmet for a very reliable and easy mount via the waterproof case. It’s secure as, remove and refit in a second. I’ll put together a video soon to show the whole thing in detail
6A2E058B-DE44-4414-BC10-E183AF9C6729.jpeg
EF5C0518-BD05-4402-BA3A-17C42E787861.jpeg
76EE5895-3DD2-4BB6-A738-B4C31F87D328.jpeg

LoneWally

All Season Rider
Aug 29, 2017
Leicestershire
I ride a
2007 Hartford HD125L, 2013 Honda CB500X
Interesting thing is the FDRX3000 is now a few years old. Been no updates to the model. It does what it does and does it pretty well. But it’s not a typical action cam shape but I’ve managed to adapt some cool fittings ... I’ve adapted Quadlock phone mounts to the bike and my helmet for a very reliable and easy mount via the waterproof case. It’s secure as, remove and refit in a second. I’ll put together a video soon to show the whole thing in detail View attachment 5348View attachment 5349View attachment 5350
Thats a clever idea

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
Interesting thing is the FDRX3000 is now a few years old. Been no updates to the model. It does what it does and does it pretty well. But it’s not a typical action cam shape but I’ve managed to adapt some cool fittings ... I’ve adapted Quadlock phone mounts to the bike and my helmet for a very reliable and easy mount via the waterproof case. It’s secure as, remove and refit in a second. I’ll put together a video soon to show the whole thing in detail View attachment 5348View attachment 5349View attachment 5350
Very clever use of quick release system

Reactions: HippoDrone

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
One of our lads uses this as his main camera and raves about it. He also adapted the case for his mic but has had no problems with water ingress.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO