Sony Action Cams

RealSteveB

Wannabie Member
Aug 4, 2017
Cape cod, USA
I ride a
Yamaha R6, Ninja 650, CB 350
Ok, I'm ready to upgrade from my 2 Contour +2 s to a new action camera. I've pretty much decided i want to go with the Sony action cam. However, they have 9 different models out currently and I can't determine which is what I want.
Minimum I want is 1080P @60fps.
4K at 30fps would be nice, but I don't want to pay for it. A live view would also be nice but I'm used to working through an app so it's not a dealbuster. External Mic adaptability is needed, obviously.

I'd like to buy 2, so I don't mind buying them used either.

Im also looking at the firefly 8s and Yi, but they're a gopro style, and I'm not a fan of the way they have to mount on the front of the helmet or stick way out there on the side. I also use them for other sports and like the low profile side mount.

Any help here?

Reactions: NF Vulcan

Ironside

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2015
United Kingdom
www.edmundironside.co.uk
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800XC
I've got a new helmet on the way and have just ordered an AS50 for it.

I've been through the Go-Pro to the Drift Ghost S (current) and am thinking of putting a sony on the new helmet or maybe a Session, my big issue will be getting the Mic setup.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
trouble with the session is battery life so unless you use a powerbank (which would destroy the point in having the small camera) it won't last very long on a ride and the mic adapter for the Session Five is bigger than the camera too! I really like the session but I'd not want to use it as a main camera.

Reactions: NF Vulcan

Ironside

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2015
United Kingdom
www.edmundironside.co.uk
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800XC
Oh Shit, let's all learn from my mistake.

I saw a few videos of the AS20 being modded to accept a mic through the housing so assumed that the AS50 would be similar but slightly updated and as the price difference was just a couple of quid that's the one I bought and have just opened.

NO 3.5 MIC PORT

So now, do I go for the AS20 or look into the pricey models which have something called a 'Stereo Minjack'

CDA441

Red Viffer VTEC!
Apr 15, 2016
Belgium
cda441.wordpress.com
I ride a
'04 Honda VFR800 VTEC
I've gone with an AS300, but the FDR X3000 is the same one, but with 4k capabilities.
For around 300$ (even less) they are good quality cameras with a 3.5mm stereo jack.

Reactions: Ironside

RealSteveB

Wannabie Member
Aug 4, 2017
Cape cod, USA
I ride a
Yamaha R6, Ninja 650, CB 350
If I can get a deal on the fdr3000 ill probably get that. I need 2 though, and the mounts, and that gets pricey. Luckily my future wifey is on board because she now knows the struggles first hand as our dual vlog was cut into pieces by our contours not recording everything.

We just picked up a gopro knock off the akaso ek7000 for like $70 including an accessory bundle. I'll test it out over the coming weeks.

We just booked our honeymoon to Costa Rica in January, so I hope to have all new gear and have it sorted out by then.

AmpdMoto

Check Me Out on Youtube
Aug 28, 2015
I ride a
Harley Davidson VRod
Go with the as100v. It's the cheapest of the bunch and the waterproof case can be modded for mic input. It's also splashproof without the housing so it'll just depend on how you want to mount it. It does 1080p60fps at highbitrate and has optional image stabilization unlike the older models that didn't let you turn that off.

I prefer GoPro myself but still keep the Sony because it's a great cam to use on my other helmets.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO