Smaller cc engines

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Seems the Groms are a hit which is interesting given the Harley crowds near me. They are snobs to Sportsters and Streets.

So if the person looks down on another bike, I tend not to hang around them long because I am just happy to see people riding.

FloridaMan

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2018
Polk County, Florida
I ride a
Boulevard s83 & Boulevard s40
Smaller bikes have a different ride style and if someone thinks that there is only one way to ride they're an idiot and they're really missing out.
Bigger bikes are faster and smoother on the straights.
Smaller bikes are more nimble and you feel the road more.
Just depends on what you want to get out of your ride.

CafeBrakes

Coffee Brakes
Jul 26, 2019
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2018 Yamaha R3
2014 Honda CBR1000RR
So if the person looks down on another bike, I tend not to hang around them long because I am just happy to see people riding.
I can appreciate that. I had one person tell me that I should never buy a 300cc bike and start with a 600 or more. The next few days, I made a friend who invited me to ride with his friends and told me that engine size doesn't matter, as long as you ride and your cool. So my take is that, I guess it's such a testosterone heavy hobby, you'll have snobs who are all about big engine bikes but then again, there are snobs in every hobby :rolleyes:

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
I can appreciate that. I had one person tell me that I should never buy a 300cc bike and start with a 600 or more. The next few days, I made a friend who invited me to ride with his friends and told me that engine size doesn't matter, as long as you ride and your cool. So my take is that, I guess it's such a testosterone heavy hobby, you'll have snobs who are all about big engine bikes but then again, there are snobs in every hobby :rolleyes:

I have been wanting to get a 2nd bike. My last 4 cylinder was a 1973 CB750. So out of curiosity I looked at the specs for new back when it was made.

67 HP Top speed 118.1 mph (though mine was about 10 mph faster according a nice officer in 1996)

A modern bike around the same specs would be between the CB650R and CB300R. Both smaller displacement.

BTW, the HP on my current beast is all of 80HP which the 650R 14HP more.

Point is, size is not everything.

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
I guess it depends on what's considered a small engine? My bike is only 300 ccs and I just completed a 2210 mile ride from Philadelphia to Nova Scotia (the Cabot Trail) and back. I rode with all the big boys on the highways and endured good and bad weather, and traffic. A bigger bike would get me there faster, but as a motovlogger, that wasn't the point.

- Wolf

CafeBrakes

Coffee Brakes
Jul 26, 2019
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2018 Yamaha R3
2014 Honda CBR1000RR
I guess it depends on what's considered a small engine? My bike is only 300 ccs and I just completed a 2210 mile ride from Philadelphia to Nova Scotia (the Cabot Trail) and back. I rode with all the big boys on the highways and endured good and bad weather, and traffic. A bigger bike would get me there faster, but as a motovlogger, that wasn't the point.

- Wolf
My bike is also 300 (321cc to be exact). I don't care for the engine size, I just think people should respect each other no matter the size engine or what bike you ride. A rider is a rider. I agree though, motovlogging on a small bike is way easier

RideOnTwo

Smart Ass
Jun 14, 2019
Massachusetts USA
I ride a
BMW F750GS
The only way I would say a small displacement was bad is if you were going on a tour 2up. With all of the luggage and a passenger the smaller bikes may struggle a bit but if it is all you have you make do. I personally resisted moving past the 600cc on the sport bike as it had way too much for road riding anyway. Only reason I got my 750 (853cc) GS is the 310 was the only smaller option BMW had and as I said before 2up traveling in my opinion would have been more of a struggle.

If I had bought the bike to do adv stuff I think the 310 would have been my preferred choice though.

Bottom line if you are happy then that is all that matters. Everyone should do what is right for them, and be open to others choices without ridicule.

CafeBrakes

Coffee Brakes
Jul 26, 2019
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2018 Yamaha R3
2014 Honda CBR1000RR
Bottom line if you are happy then that is all that matters. Everyone should do what is right for them, and be open to others choices without ridicule.
yeah, I do understand that there are certain points to getting a certain bike. I think people should own up to what they ride. If you want a Ducati Panigale v4r for show then get one. Ride what you like and within your limits

L. Bilious

Huge member
Aug 2, 2019
North Cheshire/South Manchester
I ride a
CBR1100, GSXR750, XR250
I ride a 1137cc Blackbird, a bike that held the title of the fastest production road bike for a while. You can go apeshit with its turbine like delivery doing warp speeds before you realise it, or just pootle about gently commuting.
I bought a 249cc Honda XR250 this year for greenlaning- it made me remember how good small cc bikes are.
They are at opposite ends of the biking spectrum, but both equally as fun to ride.

As an aside- a mate bought a 2300cc Triumph Rocket 3, came round to mine on the day he picked it up and threw the keys at me and said "take it up the road, while I have a smoke".
It was a lovely bike. A pussycat to ride. I bet I went slower than any 125cc on it.
(Didn't dare open it up though, in case I threw it into a hedge:oops:)

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts