Signals Among Riders

F4celess

Cold
Dec 20, 2015
I ride a
Yamaha Fazer
I'm a professional cager these days, so I was driving around making some cashmoneys and happened to be driving behind a rider, kept a good distance and all the things one should do in traffic. But I noticed that the dude on his GS, probably a commuter. Kept checking his mirror as if he was looking for something. Then, at a light, he did a left blink, right blink, then a couple of flashes with the hazards. I can't help but consider the idea of the signals being aimed at me. And possibly referring to the car I was driving, i.e Lights being out or something. Which they couldn't be, for I was driving a brand new rental Mazda CX-3 (highly unusual to drive a non-fleet car, but today I did). I was in a different lane at that intersection.

Any ideas?

Also, What other signals do you see among riders?

JonJeoprdy

Wanderer...
May 16, 2016
Colorado
I ride a
F800GS
That's not a signal I'm familiar with if it is one. It's possible he was just doing a light or function check.

Most important signal? Patting the top of the head, means cop ahead! :cool:

KittenMeat

Wannabie Member
Nov 15, 2015
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800xc
Suzuki Sv650-R
13332311005_dbf9011393_b.jpg

This is how we say "hi" in Oakland.

ALL HAIL THE BARF SALUTE.

Reactions: R-Rated

F4celess

Cold
Dec 20, 2015
I ride a
Yamaha Fazer
He was just letting everyone know that he wanted to turn left, then decided to turn right, then his brain malfunctioned so he put on the hazard lights.

Must have been a severe malfunction. But he was indeed going forward, if he wanted to go left he was in the wrong lane and if he wanted to go right he would take his GS on an offroad adventure to the pond.

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
He wanted to break the stereotype that BMW owners don't use their indicators. LoL. Other than that, I have no idea. We use the standard hand signals to each other while on the bike.

Reactions: F4celess

lupin

2016 Solar Bear Champion.
Jul 5, 2015
Australia
www.imlupz.com
I ride a
FZ1N
Just recently I have noticed fellow riders actually waving at me. At first I thought it was people I know, now it seems to be everyone.

Especially on the weekends.

Marbro_za

Dan's princess
Mar 13, 2014
I ride a
Yamaha fz6
we just get the wave.

sometimes i will "Pat an invisible dog" which means slow down

but no one does it for me :(

F4celess

Cold
Dec 20, 2015
I ride a
Yamaha Fazer
Up here only the wave is common. Even people on cruisers will wave to my 50cc sportbike(moped). #Feelsgud

Sounds like there isn't much to gestures and signals. I'm sure there is more to be found though.

RidingWRon

Wannabie Member
Jul 3, 2016
Clearwater Fl
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
I wave at everyone and I also do the "pat the dog" when needed. I have received the peace sign in return and sometimes a very excited wave, which always confuses me...

Reactions: DDR

Motorpsych

Wannabie Member
Feb 27, 2016
Japan, near Tokyo
I ride a
Honda VTR250
Here in Japan you get a nod from the two wheel commuters (sort of a short bow), and a wave or peace sign when out on the weekends. Not all the time though. Never saw the flashing signals though. A quick flash of the hazard lights means "thank you" (in Japan) when someone lets you in the lane.

DDR

Wannabie Member
May 17, 2016
I ride a
Honda CB125F
Here in Japan you get a nod from the two wheel commuters (sort of a short bow), and a wave or peace sign when out on the weekends. Not all the time though. Never saw the flashing signals though. A quick flash of the hazard lights means "thank you" (in Japan) when someone lets you in the lane.

Saw the flashing headlights (which means 'go ahead' i think?) and hazard lights on a video during a course once. Amazed at how their culture is included even on the roads.

Where I come from flashing headlights means 'get out da way bisch!'. :/

Motorpsych

Wannabie Member
Feb 27, 2016
Japan, near Tokyo
I ride a
Honda VTR250
Saw the flashing headlights (which means 'go ahead' i think?) and hazard lights on a video during a course once. Amazed at how their culture is included even on the roads.

Where I come from flashing headlights means 'get out da way bisch!'. :/
That's right. A quick flash of the high beams usually means go ahead. But a longer one means watch out I'm going first. This sign is sometimes mistaken and causes an accident.

superbiggy

Wannabie Member
Aug 1, 2016
Europe, Romania, Bucharest
I ride a
Yamaha Diversion 600 cc motorcycle from 1991
In my country we bikers salute eachother wiith peace sign or short honk or acceleration, lights on and of repeatedly means cops ahead, also pointing to the sholder means cops ahead, short hazard lights means thank you.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts