Show us your setup...

With a few new members in the ranks, I thought it'd be cool to show your helmet cam setup, or if you don't run a helmet cam, your equivalent setup :-)

The nitty gritty of how I rig a camera to my helmet has not really changed over the years, although I now have a new helmet. I'm still running the same mic and mic adaptor setup that I have used since my Hero 5 days back when I first started this game. The camera has changed through the years, but is now a well used GoPro Hero 10 with a Ulanzi sidedoor to hold the battery in and still allow access for the mic adaptor. To attach it to my helmet, I use the GoPro ball mount and a GoPro clip Sugru'd to the chin piece. The mic is a cheap VOIP mic from Amazon, recommended by the likes of @Shadetreesurgeon and others, the current one cost around £4, but they vary from £2 - £8 depending on availability. To help keep the water out, I use some Black-Tack (like Blu-Tack, but black) around the mic adaptor/Ulanzi door and electrical tape around the exposed ports on the mic adaptor. I use velcro to stick the mic adaptor to my helmet and a little dead-cat on the mic which is stuffed into the cheek pad with the tip only just exposed. To help keep the helmet a little quieter, not that it is noisy, I have plugged the middle two front vents with earplug silicon. The top two on the chin help keep the visor clear so I've not blocked them and the bottom two, I have left unblocked, but the vent closed so I can still have some ventilation to my chin/face if needed in the summer.

The full setup on my helmet: HJC V10

20240501_205826.jpg

20240501_205927.jpg

20240501_205949.jpg

Up close:

20240501_205850.jpg

20240501_205909.jpg

20240501_210020.jpg

20240501_210130.jpg

20240501_210346.jpg

Overview of my setup. I took this helmet in to use this spring, so it took some adjusting to get everything set up, but I think it is almost good now. I have been using almost the same equipment for years, just moved the camera on to the helmet recently. Before that I used chesty, and mic with a longer wire.
IMG_20240502_174628.jpg

The camera is Garmin Virb Ultra 30, which I chose back in the day, due to the switch type. It's not a press button but rather the flip type, which was easier to understand if I am recording or not, by just touching. That was more relevant, when using chesty.

I use a cheap sticky mount on the helmet and two hinge system. Two hinges because then I can loosen one of them, without losing the angle, when I need to open the rear door of the waterproof case.
IMG_20240502_174641.jpg

The mounting leaves just enough room between the helmet and camera case, that I can put a gloved finger in and press the visor lock button.
IMG_20240502_174657.jpg

I have modified the waterproof case to be not so waterproof, in order to put in one of the worlds last mic adapters, for this camera. There is still one available in officieal dealers in the Middle-East, that I know of, but they don't ship to Europe, unfortunately, so I have no spare.

And finally a look at the current mic placement. You might notice the splitter, I have there as a trial, to try to record comms sound. That works with varying success. As does the velcro tape, that's supposed to hold the mic in place.
IMG_20240502_174716.jpg

For the modular crowd -

Here is my long distance, inclement weather rig also for riding two up with the wife.

It has 4 microphones and here is why -

#1. Intercom, voice command for the bike, phone, and CB. It plugs into the bike.

#2. Purple Panda that goes into the junction and into the camera. (Thank you @LoneWolfer for the idea for this and #3)

#3. Røde mic that is by the right ear to pick up the speakers in the headset. Yes there are two speakers on each side. Once for the bike headset and one for the #4 device.

#4. Sena SRL headset that mounts inside the Shoei modular helmet. This comes in handy for those folks I ride with that have bluetooth headsets like Lonewolfer and @Scooterwolf. Plus should I get separated from the bike then I can just connect to my phone by bluetooth and make calls. Like I said this is for mainly long distance trips and bad weather.

All mics are still useable with great sound when the chinbar is up.

20240502_103054.jpg
20240502_104543.jpg

20240502_103202.jpg

20240502_103223.jpg

20240502_103240.jpg
20240502_103127.jpg

I also have a dive case modified to take the mic adapter in case of really really bad weather. 20240502_103223.jpg

Last edited:
Over the years I've tried everything.
I started with a GoPro Session (which I still have) and that horrible mic adaptor which is bigger than the camera itself. I'd have stuck with it, but the image stabilisation is really showing its age these days. You'd actually be hard pushed to tell that it has any compared to newer cameras.

Then I splashed out on a Hero 8 and Media Module with a Purple Panda lav mic thinking that it would be one less thing to stick to my lid... But that camera has been sooooo unreliable! I cannot trust it to record half the time.
My Insta360 X2 is now my go-to camera and touch wood has never let me down other than the mic adaptor no longer working.

Last year I bought a Sena 50c. It's always attached to my lid but I only use it if I really have to because the audio doesn't really pick up the bike and the video runs at lower Res if you use the image stabilisation. Still, it's a handy backup and catches any chit-chat if I'm riding with mates.

So now I've gone right back to basics.

My wife bought me an Instamic Pro for Christmas. It's nice and small and I can magnetically mount it inside my lid or around the bike and I just leave it recording.
I use the Instamic app to stop/start recording. Yes, it's a little more work to match the audio to video, but to me it's worth the hassle. I no longer bother with a helmet mounted camera. I usually have mine chest or bar mounted. My last two vids were made using that set-up and now that I've the gain dialled in (-8) I'm sticking with that.
I did try to connect the mic to my X2 using Bluetooth, but it's not very reliable when you switch the camera off/on. I believe it works better with the newer X3.

I made the wind muff by bastardising a rectangular one I found online. Vid short from that will be posted on Tuesday 1800 GMT.

1000023317.jpg
1000023319.jpg

1000023314.jpg

1000023315.jpg

1000023316.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
With a few new members in the ranks, I thought it'd be cool to show your helmet cam setup, or if you don't run a helmet cam, your equivalent setup :)

The nitty gritty of how I rig a camera to my helmet has not really changed over the years, although I now have a new helmet. I'm still running the same mic and mic adaptor setup that I have used since my Hero 5 days back when I first started this game. The camera has changed through the years, but is now a well used GoPro Hero 10 with a Ulanzi sidedoor to hold the battery in and still allow access for the mic adaptor. To attach it to my helmet, I use the GoPro ball mount and a GoPro clip Sugru'd to the chin piece. The mic is a cheap VOIP mic from Amazon, recommended by the likes of @Shadetreesurgeon and others, the current one cost around £4, but they vary from £2 - £8 depending on availability. To help keep the water out, I use some Black-Tack (like Blu-Tack, but black) around the mic adaptor/Ulanzi door and electrical tape around the exposed ports on the mic adaptor. I use velcro to stick the mic adaptor to my helmet and a little dead-cat on the mic which is stuffed into the cheek pad with the tip only just exposed. To help keep the helmet a little quieter, not that it is noisy, I have plugged the middle two front vents with earplug silicon. The top two on the chin help keep the visor clear so I've not blocked them and the bottom two, I have left unblocked, but the vent closed so I can still have some ventilation to my chin/face if needed in the summer.

The full setup on my helmet: HJC V10

View attachment 7056

View attachment 7057

View attachment 7058

Up close:

View attachment 7059

View attachment 7060

View attachment 7061

View attachment 7062

View attachment 7063
Great Setup!

Helmet Cam Setup.jpg

Excuse the cheesy grin. It's late. I have a GoPro side mount with a Media Mod for Hero 9/10/11/12 [I use my Hero 12 there], with a Purple Panda plugged into it. The purple panda is in the furry dead cat with blue microfiber zip-tied around it, next to my comms mic [which is not in use].

-John

I started dabbling into motovlogging last year. This is my setup. GoPro 11 mounted on a chin mount setup with purple panda mic inside the full face helmet.

i-sxZWhcS-X3.jpg

I recently bought a Showi Neotec 3 modular helmet and a GoPro 12. Got to now figure out how to get the setup in place as I have a ride from VA to NS coming up at the end of the month :)

i-xP3Tj64-X2.jpg

Has anybody used this (or sort of this) mic connected to the media mod? If this works, it may solve an issue of hiding/routing the long cable that comes with the purple panda mic. Another option that I have to also experiment is to connect the GoPro 12 to my Packtalk edge and use that mic to record audio.

41uqtHe+xJS._AC_SL1420_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anybody used this (or sort of this) mic connected to the media mod? If this works, it may solve an issue of hiding/routing the long cable that comes with the purple panda mic. Another option that I have to also experiment is to connect the GoPro 12 to my Packtalk edge and use that mic to record audio.

I have used those mics for around 5 years now. I did run it with a Media Mod for a bit, but the wire is a little short for how I mount my camera, so I use the old style GoPro mic adaptor from the Hero 5/6/7 velcro'd to my helmet which allows the mic to be placed in a good spot in the chin-piece of the helmet.

20240501_205927.jpg

20240501_205909.jpg

20240501_210020.jpg

I tried it recently. I thought the ability to detach the cable at the helmet would be something worth trying, since I record audio using a separate recording device in my pocket.

Trouble is, I'm getting an awful crackling noise on the audio. I suspect it's the cable connections as I move my head around, but I've pretty much decided to go back to the Purple Panda.

I started dabbling into motovlogging last year. This is my setup. GoPro 11 mounted on a chin mount setup with purple panda mic inside the full face helmet.

I recently bought a Showi Neotec 3 modular helmet and a GoPro 12. Got to now figure out how to get the setup in place as I have a ride from VA to NS coming up at the end of the month :)

I use a little velcro strip designed for coiling lengths of cable to attach my Purple Panda to the Neotec2's cheek padding near the corner of my mouth. The dead cat tickles a little, but the results are great.

Shoei Neotec 3, GoPro Hero 9 with media mod conected with a mount from chin mounts, Purple Panda lavalier mic and dead cat. Wires going through to the back area and bundled into the container bit at the back of the helmet. Seems to be alright for quality. I want to upgrade soon to a DJI Osmo Action 4 and use the wireless mic transmitter which will connect directly to the cam..but it's not cheap!
The boom mic goes to my cardo freedom and I have custom fit guard in-ears for audio.

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-21 at 18.55.49.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-21 at 18.55.50.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-21 at 18.55.51.jpeg

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts

Back