Not open for further replies.

AZZ3R

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Lancashire
I ride a
Kawasaki Z750R
Anyone know much about Shoei helmets?

I have only ever rode with Arai but ive decided to buy a Shoei and need to know the design/model of it.

Cheers will post pic when on laptop.
As of now its Red/Blue & Electric or Lightening pattern.

$(KGrHqVHJCsE7BcvicGBBO0oGqsK4w~~60_12.JPG

lauriejennifer

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
I ride a
Kawasaki KLX330sm * Keen BadBoy CX50 * Kawasaki ER-6n
It looks like the old RF 800. Those haven't been made for several years. I would be concerned about the age. It will be "timestamped" on the inside as to the date of manufacturing. Think of it as buying old tires. Even if they've never been used, it's still a safety risk due to the nature of their composition, you feel me?

***EDIT***

Oh, and if you want a review, here's one from 1998... just so you get an idea how old this thing could be.

Review: http://www.motorcycle.com/products/shoe ... -2755.html

***EDIT AGAIN lol***

And if you want a detailed review of their construction and design, I can go into that, if you like.

pizzaonaninja

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Behind you
I ride a
Trek 8500
SHOEI's are pretty good, but I support LJ, a helmet older than 5 years loses most of it's security properties, and it's also not up to date with current safety standards.

lauriejennifer

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
I ride a
Kawasaki KLX330sm * Keen BadBoy CX50 * Kawasaki ER-6n
pizzaonaninja said:
SHOEI's are pretty good, but I support LJ, a helmet older than 5 years loses most of it's security properties, and it's also not up to date with current safety standards.

Replacement parts will also be harder to find. And venting/safety has come a long way since the RF800. Depending on what you're riding and the shape of your head, I'd recommend the RF1100 or the Qwest.

RF1100= designed more for sportbikes, less round
Qwest= designed more for standard/sport touring, more round

*I mean the shape of your head when I say "round" or "less round."

digit

Wannabie Member
Oct 23, 2011
I ride a
ducati
I like Shoei. I own 2 an RF 1000 and X-11

I mainly use my X-11. I really like it. It's light and does an excellent job cutting wind noise. It was also their top of the line helmet until the X12 came, so it's pro kit, makes me feel cool. You can also remove the lining to clean it, that is also a big plus.

The RF 1000 is good quality, but not as good as the X-11. It's still a nice, expensive helmet, but it doesn't have as many vents, and the lining is non-removable. It also doesn't fit as well, and leaves a bruise on my forehead if I wear it for a long time. I keep it as a spare, comes in handy of I want to take a girl for a spin. It's also good to have a back-up if my other helmet is damaged.

That said, I would never buy a used helmet. If you can't afford a new Shoei, look for one on closeout. Failing that, pick up a less expensive helmet like a Scorpion or HJC. No matter how good the helmet is, manufacturers recommend you discard and replace a helmet that was involved in an impact. You don't know what the previous owner has done with that one. At the end of the day, they're all just made out of styrofoam anyway.

senthx

Wannabie Member
Jan 8, 2012
Bedfordshire
I ride a
BMW 650 Sertao, Honda XR 250, Suzuki VanVan
I'd buy a used helmet from close a friend whom I trusted. For example, this helmet is 6 months old, I don't like it for whatever reason, i.e they might find it too noisy, it might not be an issue for me, i've not dropped it or crashed in it etc

I'd never buy one second hand from a stranger.

Cheaper helmets I throw away after a year or two, crashed/dropped or not. Better ones I will keep longer, but not for ever.

Conrod360

Wannabie Member
Oct 1, 2011
Warrington, Cheshire
I ride a
1990 Honda CBR600F (Jelly Mold)
This is the Xr-800!

Im definate as I had one of these but in blue (where yours is red) as my first track helmet.

Great Helmet at the time! but like others have said this may be getting on a bit now. does it have a datestamp on the chin strap or anywhere in the liner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts