Shifting To Second Gear From Neutral

Firetipped

Attorney at Law
Jan 12, 2015
Mississippi
I ride a
Honda CBR 250
I have the habit of putting my motorcycle into neutral when coasting to a stop. Sometimes while coasting to a red light it turns green so I go from neutral straight to second gear. Should I be doing this? Will this mess up my bike?

Marbro_za

Dan's princess
Mar 13, 2014
I ride a
Yamaha fz6
Dont think it will mess it up,
Most of the time when im pulling away from the lights, and there are hot chicks near by, I go 1st, Neutral, rev bomb, and then second gear....

So far nothing bads happened

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
Pulling off in second (as opposed to finding neutral when upshifting) is asking the bike to do a lot more work and strain on the clutch.

Starting downhill it would be OK, but I don't think I'd ever do 2nd on the flat, uphill or if wanting to set off quickly.

SpartanHDX

Wannabie Member
Dec 22, 2014
I ride a
With me sometimes I unintentionally hit neutral when pulling off from first gear, so annoying, I need to stop :(

juicyjuice

Wannabie Member
Mar 25, 2013
ablany ny
I ride a
2003 yzf600r
i feel like my bike doesnt shift to 2nd from 1st real smooth til about 5k rpms, its the only bike ive ever owned though so its my only experience with it on sportbikes

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
If you're having difficulty with gears and neutral, check you clucth adjustment and oil level. My bike works best with the oil about 1/4" from the top mark on the dipstick.

If it's possibly you can't get your foot to the correct angle, look at adjusting the shift lever.

dandoolittle

Site owner, lovely and adorable
Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
Suzuki GSXR 1000 K7 track/race bike
Kawasaki ZX6R 98 race bike
MiniMotos
i feel like my bike doesnt shift to 2nd from 1st real smooth til about 5k rpms, its the only bike ive ever owned though so its my only experience with it on sportbikes

It could be that the bike isn't ready to shift down, if you're having a clunk or giving some force anyway. What oil are you using? What bike is it?

juicyjuice

Wannabie Member
Mar 25, 2013
ablany ny
I ride a
2003 yzf600r
2003 yzf600r, i used yamalube i forget the weight ( bike shop recomended it ) i never force it it just gives me resistance if im shifting at a low rpm like neutral is a gear itself. on my 4 wheeler i never had that problem. about the foot angle idea i wear size 15 shoes so that might actually be a problem too but it only happens from 1st to 2nd, i also just noticed i said from 2nd to 1st, i meant 1st to 2nd

TheDutchTexan

Wannabie Member
Jul 2, 2013
I ride a
bicycle...
Unless you have a torque monster I would start in 1st. No matter what you drive or ride, it is your "get going" gear. However, the CTSV I reviewed starts in second gear, it's downright scary to put the pedal down in first. Can't imagine how that is in the rain! My grand marquis and mustang are fine starting in second too, but... V8...

kuhlka

Wannabie Member
Jul 7, 2014
SoCal OC
youtube.com
I ride a
2011 Ducati Diavel Carbon Red, 2007 Ducati 1098
I have the habit of putting my motorcycle into neutral when coasting to a stop. Sometimes while coasting to a red light it turns green so I go from neutral straight to second gear. Should I be doing this? Will this mess up my bike?

Coasting to a stop? If you hit a bump the bike might bounce into gear and you go over the handlebars not expecting the sudden lurch. Just pull in the clutch and pick a gear.

The only things you might damage by kicking into 2nd from neutral is gear syncros and increased clutch plate wear, especially if you do it with your hand off the clutch lever. Minimal to no damage if you have the clutch lever pulled in ever time you touch the shifter and you smoothly engage and disengage the clutch lever.

jts749

Wannabie Member
Jun 26, 2014
I ride a
'07 YZF600R
if you are still moving it is completely ok to use 2nd instead of first, also there is no chance of synchro damage as sequential (motorcycle) transmissions do not have any synchros.

But as stated above it is unsafe to coast in neutral as you have zero available power if you happen to need it.

Reactions: kuhlka

kuhlka

Wannabie Member
Jul 7, 2014
SoCal OC
youtube.com
I ride a
2011 Ducati Diavel Carbon Red, 2007 Ducati 1098
if you are still moving it is completely ok to use 2nd instead of first, also there is no chance of synchro damage as sequential (motorcycle) transmissions do not have any synchros.

But as stated above it is unsafe to coast in neutral as you have zero available power if you happen to need it.

Right you are about the syncros. I forgot they use dogs. After watching a few videos of transmissions being torn down, I really want to get a spare engine to play around with as my son grows up. Maybe do a shifter cart with a Monster engine...

PistnRods

Wannabie Member
Aug 22, 2014
Chicago
I ride a
SV650
I hold in the clutch and slowly gear down just in case I need to scoot I just let the clutch out. I do have a bad habit of chilling in neutral once the car behind me has stopped.

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
Nwutral is fine, just keep the left leg up and the leff hand ready on the clutch!

MrJoel

Rom: one-one-six unashamed
Jun 14, 2015
Louisville, Ky
www.facebook.com
I ride a
1994 seca II
Cafe 1992 seca II
I'm old school, I don't go into neutral at a stop. Too many times I've had to get out of the way before becoming a hood ornament (an ugly one at that). and just another reminder to always check your six (be aware of what's going on behind you). As for taking off in second without a complete stop, it's ok for the bike. You are still matching the speed of the bike with the gear needed!

Reactions: Clint Love

Clint Love

It doesn't say CUNT, dammit!
Jun 17, 2015
Dallas, Texas
www.therealclintlove.com
I ride a
2007 Ducati 1098s
I'm old school, I don't go into neutral at a stop. Too many times I've had to get out of the way before becoming a hood ornament (an ugly one at that). and just another reminder to always check your six (be aware of what's going on behind you). As for taking off in second without a complete stop, it's ok for the bike. You are still matching the speed of the bike with the gear needed!

This right here.

Although, if it's one of those lights that take four minutes to turn, I'll go into neutral and get a stretch before starting off again.

Shifty

Motovlogger
Jan 5, 2016
U.K.
shiftyblake.wordpress.com
I ride a
Ducati Multistrada 1200 GT

The short answer is No, you dont have engine control if you need to change speed and direction safely.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts