Shades Or In Built Shades

Make Rides

Maka
Sep 10, 2017
Cornwall, UK
www.themaka.com
I ride a
Thundercat, Sportster, Breakout, wheeliebin
i wear wrap around shades and carry wrap around safety glasses as well.
that way if the weather turns, or its dark i can swap (when using my open face)
i still wear them when using a full face helmet as i often ride with the visor up

BluMblRdr

Blue Marble Rider
Apr 16, 2018
Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
www.instagram.com
I ride a
Husaberg FE390, Suzuki VStrom 1000, Yamaha XSR900
So what do you girls and guys think?

Shades?
Or shades built into the helmet?
Pros n cons?

Just Im in need of a new lid and like the idea of the built in shades but is there any thing to be aware of?
Personally like the built in shades. One less thing to forget, allows a clear visor, and still gives protection but more air flow when visor is up. win win win...except of course you lose your shades when the lid is off :)

Mr. G

Essential G
Nov 19, 2017
I ride a
V-Star 1300
So what do you girls and guys think?

Shades?

11774087cd67584910a9569df6c7c5c3.jpg

Or shades built into the helmet?

Bilt-Cyclone-sunshade-770x577.jpg

Pros n cons?

Just Im in need of a new lid and like the idea of the built in shades but is there any thing to be aware of?
When you accidently swallow a giant bee...

... You will choose # 2

Last edited by a moderator:

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
My current helmet has shades built in. I definitely like them more, than using glasses or swapping visors.
First, I might need optical glasses anyway, in not so distant future.
Secondly, less things to carry with me, when travelling.
Third, I found them extremely helpful, when I went through tunnels in Norway. Even when it is cloudy, as soon as I see the tunnel sign, i drop the shades, and eyes adjust to less light, and when entering the tunnel, I rise the shades, and the adjustment takes far less, than when not using the shades. Well, at least it feels like that. I did not time it.

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
If you can’t see in the distance you certainly will need glasses!! ;)

Reactions: Mr. G

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
Well I passed the medical check up, required by law, this year. But I feel I do not see as well as I used to. So I will need glasses soon. Soon could be in 5 or 10 years too, but still too soon for me.

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
Surely you should get glasses if you think your vision is less than it needs to be? Bikers need their eyes more than ever in this age of phone enabled cars and their distraces drivers.

Reactions: Theodor

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
Theodor Iive worn glasses fulltime since I was 9 years old, not the worst thing in the world. And I've been wearing contact since I was a teenager and with the ones they have now I can actually sleep with them in. I usually only do this on camping trips, but I never have an issue with them. I legally have to have some form of correction for my vision to drive/ride and really should be required by law to wear them even while walking.

Reactions: Theodor

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
I think this is getting a bit off the main topic, so I believe these posts should be moved to a separate thread.
My understanding, from acquaintances, who have glasses, is that once you get glasses, the vision starts to degrade more rapidly. So as long as my vision is good enough to see the street signs and ride safely, I will postpone the use of optical aid and stick to exercising my eyes. So I am in no rush, with getting glasses. As I said I did pass the medical examination this year, so I could easily have few more years, before I need to get some optical equipment.
So far I have not been in a situation, which I consider dangerous, due to not being able to see something. Only because of lack of attention, carelessness or misjudging other drivers. It is rarely only the other drivers fault, when we end up in a dangerous spot. Usually we can avoid stuff like this, by reading the road and traffic. First one of those requires better eyesight, than the other.

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
I wear contacts so that I can wear shades (back on topic) rather than getting prescription sunglasses which is also an option. I hate dark visors and dropdown tinted visors. And I have had the same prescription for over 15 years. All the changes were as I grew up. No Eye Doctor has ever mentioned degradation from wearing corrective lenses outside of prolongued wearing of contacts which can cause bacterial growth, lack of O2 to the eye, stress on the cornea and a few other issues. Time, genetics and strain due to staring at computer screens, phones, tablets, those have been discussed coutless times at my eye exams. But if you went to an eye doctor and had a full exam and they gave you a clean bill of health for your vision, then no worries on that. But again, if you ever do need corrective lenses one day there are tons of options for either sunglasses, transition lenses or I have even seen corrective visors that can be special ordered for a handful of helmets. Harder to find but they exist.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts