Shades Or In Built Shades

burlyjack

The bearded dude with a cool YouTube
Oct 10, 2015
Oklahoma, USA
I ride a
2004 Honda VTX 1300
I really, really want a drop down shade. I ride to work in the morning when it's dark and get off when it's bright and sunshiny. I wouldn't really like the idea of having a tinted visor at night because itd be just that much more difficult to spot that deer on the side of the highway about to jump. The tinted drop down would be awesome.

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Internal sun visors are tinted/smoked (hence being called "sun visor"). I would say a middle ground would be to have a light smoke. Can't comment much on kamikaze deer, we don't have that as a main issue over here. Maybe on the back/trunk roads, for highways the sides are fenced up.

RealSteveB

Wannabie Member
Aug 4, 2017
Cape cod, USA
I ride a
Yamaha R6, Ninja 650, CB 350
Drop down visors are the way to go. Instant shades when you need it, gone when you don't. They don't meet SNELL requirements so you can't wear them on track though. They may add some wind noise but I ride with earplugs anyways so that doesn't bother me. Besides, if the wind bothers you, you probably shouldn't be riding a motorcycle ;).

Reactions: thunderous71

Matt Leech

What chicken strips?
Jul 17, 2017
Sheffield
I ride a
BMW F800 GT
My two-year-old lid is still so tight that I can't wear sunglasses, so I'm grateful of its drop-down shade. Was pure luck though as it's my first one and I had no idea what I was buying.

Panotaker

Wannabie Member
Jul 25, 2017
Austin, Texas
I ride a
2008 Yamaha FJR-1300
I just got a Shoei Photochromic Transitioning face shield for my RF-1200 helmet. It wasn't exactly cheap, but it looks extremely cool, and it works perfectly. I wore it on a cloudy day, and on a sunny day, and it looked fine to me, and I no longer have to swap face shields or wear sun glasses. Is it worth the high price? Well, that is up to the individual.

CBRHoonigan

#1 Hoonigan
Apr 20, 2014
West yorkshire uk
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Anything with 2 wheels, ride it like you stole it.
I just got a Shoei Photochromic Transitioning face shield for my RF-1200 helmet. It wasn't exactly cheap, but it looks extremely cool, and it works perfectly. I wore it on a cloudy day, and on a sunny day, and it looked fine to me, and I no longer have to swap face shields or wear sun glasses. Is it worth the high price? Well, that is up to the individual.
helmets with sunvisors are getting more readily avaliable with good specs i dont see point in a fancy visor when commuting just because my shark has the sun visor to flip down

LoneWally

All Season Rider
Aug 29, 2017
Leicestershire
I ride a
2007 Hartford HD125L, 2013 Honda CB500X
As someone who has the waer glasses when riding I much prefer the intergated shades. I have had a full face helmet without the intergrated shades the perscription sun glasses where good don't get me wrong but I did find times where the sun would go in and my vision was a little limited. However since riding with a helmet that has intergrated shades it is a lot easier to flip them down. I have also been known in the warmer days to rid with my visior open and have the shades down to keep the bugs from hitting me in the face. However dedicated sun glasses can be darker than the intergrated ones.

So I lean heavily to the intergrated shades.

The helmet I use is the Caburg Duke 2.

Reactions: Matt Leech

CDA441

Red Viffer VTEC!
Apr 15, 2016
Belgium
cda441.wordpress.com
I ride a
'04 Honda VFR800 VTEC
Built in shades are perfect for people that wear glasses, but sometimes it can be a PITA to clean it because it scratches so easy.
Also if you have a big nose, it's a problem to really put down the shade because it'll hit your nose :')

PS: my aviators don't fit in my HJC IS Max II

Reactions: NF Vulcan

2WV

@2WheelVandal
Feb 25, 2017
South England
I ride a
A motorcycle, silly.
If its open face, shades. If its full face and changing the visor to a race visor isn't an option then yerr, built in sunshades.

Matt Leech

What chicken strips?
Jul 17, 2017
Sheffield
I ride a
BMW F800 GT
Thread topic: Shades Or In Built Shades?

I don't like either tbh. I worry that any kind of light reduction, even in bright daylight or into the sun, will reduce my chance of seeing danger.

NF Vulcan

Never Hold In A Fart
Aug 26, 2017
Nebraska USA
www.facebook.com
I ride a
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan Mean Streak 1600 SE
Thread topic: Shades Or In Built Shades?

I don't like either tbh. I worry that any kind of light reduction, even in bright daylight or into the sun, will reduce my chance of seeing danger.

In that same sense, wouldn't being blinded by the bright sunlight also reduce your chance for seeing danger and/or blind you and make you unable to see for a short period of time? Imo, i like at lease some sort of sun shade.

2WV

@2WheelVandal
Feb 25, 2017
South England
I ride a
A motorcycle, silly.
Open face with built in sun shade is also cool. Reminds me of a fighter pilot look.... but lets not kid ourselves, it's a motorcycle. Not an SU-24. So just keep it traditional. If its open face use sunglasses. If its full face use the internal sunshade if it has one. If not buy a race visor.

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
In that same sense, wouldn't being blinded by the bright sunlight also reduce your chance for seeing danger and/or blind you and make you unable to see for a short period of time? Imo, i like at lease some sort of sun shade.
I probably would have crashed this morning riding to London without having the drop down visor. Some light cars are hard to see before the sun gets high enough.

Reize

2 Wheeled Islander
Jan 20, 2016
Singapore
www.reizeprimus.tk
I ride a
DRZ400SM / Shadow 400 ACE / ZX6R
Why bother picking between a drop down sun visor for the practicality, vs tinted visors for coolness.

I just run a dual sport helmet with tinted goggles. It looks badass with the goggles on, and if it gets dark or rains, I just push the goggles down over my chin bar and bring down the clear visor (that usually stays hidden under the peak when not in use)

+1 to being cool in hot weather with goggles on, warm in cold weather with visor down.

DS helmets are really the way to go nowadays.

:)

Sharktank

Wannabie Member
Sep 2, 2017
Tampa, FL
I ride a
2011 Road Glide Custom
I love my built in drop down visor. I rode for years carrying around separate shades and while it wasn't a problem, it's definitely more convenient for me to flip a switch and instant shades.

2WV

@2WheelVandal
Feb 25, 2017
South England
I ride a
A motorcycle, silly.
Most drop downs mist up. Another reason to get yourself a racevisor with pinlock

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts