Shades Or In Built Shades

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
Built in all the way.

Riding in and out of shade (woodland, or between buildings) it's handy to drop in and out the shades on the fly as your eyes don't adjust quick enough to the change in light, especially on a bright day.

Reactions: NF Vulcan

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
On an open face then sunglasses on a full face I change visors to a dark one, not a fan of the built-in sunshades as they can add noise and baulk

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
How about a photochromic visor :). I wouldn't ride with glasses as I fear that if i crash they are gonna shatter inside my helmet...
I've got one.

Never again. They tint too much on overcast days, and it's (for me) too much.

DorkyRoad

Riding Nerdy
Feb 13, 2017
Oregon
I ride a
Honda CB500F
Honda CRF250L
I've read those built-in visors actually compromise the structural integrity of your helmet in a crash because you have a gap where there should be more foam. I've never seen any actual research on that, though, so that may be people simply speculating, but it's worth thinking about. I do think they're sweet looking and probably super convenient.

Why not just a tinted visor?

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
Where did you read that? It'd be interesting to see data.

Arai don't do one as they believe that, but every other manufacturer makes one, they're still to code and standard, and if it really wasn't safe, I'm fairly certain they wouldn't be made.

dandoolittle

Site owner, lovely and adorable
Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
Suzuki GSXR 1000 K7 track/race bike
Kawasaki ZX6R 98 race bike
MiniMotos

Arai don't do one as they believe that, but every other manufacturer makes one, they're still to code and standard, and if it really wasn't safe, I'm fairly certain they wouldn't be made.

Sharp ratings will back this up as well

I prefer a drop down, makes life easier

dandoolittle

Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
MiniMotos
It's funny though. I got pulled for having a tinted visor, tried to fine me.

I showed them how dark the internal 'shades' were compared to the tinted visor and walked away

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
There's legal limits to tints, for the front side windows in a car it's 25%. Seen a road legal tint before and it's not a lot.

North Yorkshire Police have a rep for targeting bikers, but having spoken to one of their motorcycle instructors, they're not actually that bothered about most minor offences, it's generally when you've done something inappropriate and they don't have enough to get you for the riding offence, so they will prove the point by getting you for visors, plates, exhausts etc

dandoolittle

Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
MiniMotos
Exactly the same in Suffolk really.
They'll ignore the loud cans and small plates UNTIL you speed or be a twat, then you get the book

Reactions: HippoDrone

DorkyRoad

Riding Nerdy
Feb 13, 2017
Oregon
I ride a
Honda CB500F
Honda CRF250L

Mostly just on forums/Reddit and people talking in Youtube videos. Like I said, no actual data to back it up.

I'm sure they meet the minimum standard, and I'm not even arguing that they're not just as safe, just repeating what I've seen here and there.

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
Mostly just on forums/Reddit and people talking in Youtube videos. Like I said, no actual data to back it up.

I'm sure they meet the minimum standard, and I'm not even arguing that they're not just as safe, just repeating what I've seen here and there.

I gotcha.

People say the same about modular/flip helmets. All are homologated for use locked down, a few for flipped up. Certainly no less safe than an open face, but again, top makes like Shoei and Schuberth do flips, and at the top of the tree, you're not going to make an unsafe helmet really. Pretty much only Arai that don't make a flip lid, certainly amongst the top manufacturers.

Reactions: DorkyRoad

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
I prefer built-ins. With shades they're no good if you forget them. With tinted visors they're no good if you're riding at night, but want to but your visor down. Where I teach I ofter arrive in the morning -- sun's just going up so I need my built ins, and head home at night, so I use my clear visor.

-Wuf

Matthew152

Wannabie Member
Jun 11, 2017
I ride a
2015 Honda CBR300R
Drop downs are a god send if you need to wear glasses to see. Avoids having to bring both a pair of sunglasses, and your normal glasses.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts