Setup without adapter or media mod?

RemboUSMC

Wannabie Member
Jan 3, 2021
I ride a
Indian Scout Bobber & Waiting on the Ducati Multistrada V4S to arrive
Seriously, are there any camera setups with microphones that don't need a mic adapter or product such as the media mod? Everything seems to involve adding more weight to the helmet. Surely there must be a simpler setup. I tried an app for my Cardo to connect to the GoPro but not happy with that. Why can't we use our Cardo system? I am ready to just buy a separate recorder and go direct they sync the audio already.

RemboUSMC

Wannabie Member
Jan 3, 2021
I ride a
So my problem today was the fact that somehow the input changed from Standard Mic, which I specifically chose and verified to Standard Mic+ which I did not. I have no clue how this changed when I took the time to verify the setting.

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
I believe the waterproofing is what started elimination of the 3.5mm socket from most cameras. It used to be more common. I think contour cameras had it last.
Not all cameras require big bulky adapters like newer gopros, but you still need some adapter, to connect to the usb socket.

Reactions: R-Rated

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
It is a big pain in the butt, but most either get used to it and work out ways to make it work for them, or do like you suggest and record audio separately. I prefer the convenience of having the audio on the video, so the adaptor was my only option (I don't use the Media Mod, too bulky and a pain in the neck to change batteries).
I think the Drift cameras are easier to sort audio, but their cameras are not the best tech and are unreliable these days. Sony are also an option, but not everyone likes the form factor.

Arfa

Beginner Biker Adventures
Nov 17, 2020
London
www.beginnerbiker.com
I ride a
Yamaha FZ6
My Drift Ghost X just has a dinky little micro USB to 3.5 TRC jack adaptor cable, about 5-6 cm long. Not too bad, but you do have to pop open the waterproof flap on the camera to plug it in. So I wouldn't want to use it on wet days.

I was pondering the other day, I have a Bluetooth headset fitted to my helmet (just a cheap Chinese Freedconn TCOM), anyone had any joy using one of these hooked to phone to record audio? Or know any good Android dictaphone apps that'll use Bluetooth headsets? Mic probably isn't the best quality, but thought it might be worth trying as it's kit I cart around all the time anyway.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
could always use a standalone dictaphone (Tascam DR05 is what I have) and connect it to a RODE Wireless Go, which is a setup I used offroading once, great audio, but too much of a faff, better off just running a cable mic from the Tascam if doing that!

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
I was pondering the other day, I have a Bluetooth headset fitted to my helmet (just a cheap Chinese Freedconn TCOM), anyone had any joy using one of these hooked to phone to record audio?
Basically what I used. Mine is called Buyee or something like that, but it looks exactly the same. Audio quality is far from good, but good enough for people to understand what you're saying.

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I tried just using the GoPro and recording my SENA to my phone using an app, but the quality was garbage. I ended up going with a Purple Panda and the Media Mod.

You sort of notice the weight, but you get used to it. Having a side mount like I do, however, means I feel the drag at higher speeds.

-John

Reactions: YBGuy and RemboUSMC

RemboUSMC

Wannabie Member
Jan 3, 2021
I ride a
could always use a standalone dictaphone (Tascam DR05 is what I have) and connect it to a RODE Wireless Go, which is a setup I used offroading once, great audio, but too much of a faff, better off just running a cable mic from the Tascam if doing that!
That is what I was thinking. I have professional lav systems I could use but did not want to take it to that level. I just wanted simple. I am getting somewhere, however, as I think I have it working a lot better now.

• Love
Reactions: HippoDrone

RemboUSMC

Wannabie Member
Jan 3, 2021
I ride a
I tried just using the GoPro and recording my SENA to my phone using an app, but the quality was garbage. I ended up going with a Purple Panda and the Media Mod.

You sort of notice the weight, but you get used to it. Having a side mount like I do, however, means I feel the drag at higher speeds.

-John
Same here. Exact same thing.

Reactions: Drakhen99

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Same here. Exact same thing.

Yeah, I don't get it - something the SENA does is noise correction - people who call me on my phone while I'm riding generally say the quality is quite good, but when I recorded it to my phone (presumably through the same SENA processing), the output was total crap.

With a separate recorder, depending on your bike and helmet, you have a variety of places to mount the mic to get the best audio. I did a bunch of tests with my setup on my YouTube channel and started getting much better results.

When I add a noise reduction effect in post, it comes out even clearer - sometimes like I'm recording in a full-face helmet, without hours of post processing, either! :D

-John

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
Yeah, I don't get it - something the SENA does is noise correction - people who call me on my phone while I'm riding generally say the quality is quite good, but when I recorded it to my phone (presumably through the same SENA processing), the output was total crap.
Try recording your calls, so you can compare yourself, maybe there really is a difference, for different types of output.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Try recording your calls, so you can compare yourself, maybe there really is a difference, for different types of output.

That's a good point - I should've tried that! Oh well, I'm getting pretty good audio now so it's not really a concern anymore.

If someone else wants to try it and report back, by all means ;)

-John

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
Threads like this make me so happy my simple open face helmet setup with just the Hero 8 internal mic works as good as it does! :D

I did some experimenting with a lav mic (mounted next to my mouth) plugged into my phone to record separate audio but it wasn't any better than what I'm getting with the Hero 8 mic. Still might do more experimenting though, it was fun to try out different setups.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Threads like this make me so happy my simple open face helmet setup with just the Hero 8 internal mic works as good as it does! :D

I did some experimenting with a lav mic (mounted next to my mouth) plugged into my phone to record separate audio but it wasn't any better than what I'm getting with the Hero 8 mic. Still might do more experimenting though, it was fun to try out different setups.

Yeah, your setup is quite nice! If I ever get a 3/4 helmet, I'm going to copy your setup...

I may try some different mounting spots for my mic - under my chin worked out quite well but dug into my throat a bit ... may have to wrap the clip in gaffer's tape or something and try again.

-John

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
2005 RC51, and a 2004 Honda CBR1000RR
I know this may not be a solution for you, but I still use the GoPro Hero4 Silver with the Purple Panda. It's still a cable but its much lighter than some of the boxier adapters that must be used with the newer GoPros.

GIZZ

Wannabie Member
Jul 25, 2017
Canada eh!
I ride a
K5 gsxr 1000
I know this may not be a solution for you, but I still use the GoPro Hero4 Silver with the Purple Panda. It's still a cable but its much lighter than some of the boxier adapters that must be used with the newer GoPros.

Another option for this camera is the Sena Audio Pack, you record all the audio from the communicator directly to the Gopro alongside the video. That Sena Audio Pack was designed to work with older GoPro 3/4 but I've since managed to get it to work with any action cam with an audio input. Not exactly wireless anymore but I do get to use a modern action cam with great stabilization and battery life. I did a few youtube vids on the topic.

Reactions: YBGuy

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
GoPro made it so that you must use their piece of expensive turd mic adapter, it's not about waterproofing cause there's the covers for the input ports anyway.

That HDMI port seems to be so important to have but till this day I have not met anyone that uses it.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts