Serious vs irreverent presentation - addressing life's problems

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
I am toying with the idea of sharing some grown up things with YouTube. I guess the wording in that sentence kind of hints which way my thinking is going.

The topics are serious. I won't get into them now because the purpose of this thread is to discuss how to present them.

I see a lot of us deal with some serious stuff. Sometimes I get a sense that ability is what we have in common and two wheels just happens to be where we find some comfort.

So question is how do we share that with others?
Do we play the sympathy card?
Do we present it as straight fact?
Do we spin it into a macabre sense of humor while making a point?

When I think about how to present I think of comedians. Do an internet search for comedians and depression. It seems some take pain and turn it into something that makes others happy.

Is that some of what we do?

What do you all think? What would you rather see - facts or humor?

ste-rodins-the-thinker-photo-arthur-grace-43895156.png

Reactions: RideOnTwo

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I think people are all different, so some folk would like one style when another would like a different style. Context matters too, so without knowing the topic, then it is hard to judge the best approach!

Last edited:

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Everybody will take it different, I personally would prefer a bit of humour, but I know other people who find that disrespectful. Its a fine line but I think its doable, there are plenty channels that discuss serious topics, so why not?

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
Peppering an issue with your humor is my vote. Breaking silence, the ice, getting the conversation started is always easier through humor. Not sure if your image is hinting at the issue/issues you want to bring up but if so, I would love to hear your thoughts and questions about thaose with where in the U.S. you happen to live. And if you can find others to discuss such issues from the part of the country you live I think you could find a very interesting and overlooked niche of people who battle such issues.

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
I am toying with the idea of sharing some grown up things with YouTube.
I think you are not the only one.
I even have recorded certain stuff, that i'm waiting till the right moment to release.
There can be a lot of serious stuff that can be debated, but youtube can be a double-edged sword in that regard.

There will be support, and there will be backlash/jokers/haters. ;)

and two wheels just happens to be where we find some comfort.
That for sure. :)

So question is how do we share that with others?
Do we play the sympathy card?
Do we present it as straight fact?
Do we spin it into a macabre sense of humor while making a point?

Don't play the victim i guess, so either be straightforward and honest and open. Show the bad and the good.

Or use a sense of humour in the subject, although that can be tricky and not all ways will lead into the right response.
Same as above, you will get a more split crowd most likely. Hecklers on comedians show that example ;)

FloridaMan

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2018
Polk County, Florida
I ride a
Boulevard s83 & Boulevard s40
I would say that with serious topics it's important to be authentic. I would suggest talking about the subject in the way that you naturally feel the most comfortable talking about it. If you are comfortable talking about it with humor, then I would do fo that. If you feel comfortable talking about it in a serious tone, then do that. Be yourself, talk like yourself, be authentic. I think it really shows and has more impact when the person is honest in how they display themselves and talk when discussing a serious matter. Nothing is phony, everything is raw and straight from the heart. You can make a joke about cancer and it will be an honest emotion. And if the way you talk doesn't hit home for one of your viewers then that's fine. We are all different for a reason. If you are your unique self then it will really hit home for that unique viewer. And I believe that that unique viewer is going to be guided towards finding your video if what you're saying will really make an impact for them.

RideOnTwo

Smart Ass
Jun 14, 2019
Massachusetts USA
I ride a
BMW F750GS
I recently released a video where I explained some of the issues that sprung up in my life and affected my channel. I used that to help others understand that life will interrupt your channel. The death of my grandparents was easier to share on my Youtube channel then tell friends and coworkers, I only informed those at work that needed to know. I honestly do not think anyone other than my boss and HR actually know about it. I am real uncomfortable around that subject and it took a lot of back and forth for me to decide to cover that topic. I did not want the attention it brought, did not want others to think that I was using it to further my channel etc etc. It was very hard for me to do but on the other hand I want to be open on my channel and have those that watch my channel to know ME for who I really am.

A new channel that has grown really fast reached out and gave me some tips on how to grow the channel as he did but his main points were - No one cares about you yet, make content that is searchable, same stuff all of the so called experts say. I do not want to grow my channel this way. If I get 2k subs and none come back when I start to make what I want to, then what good are those subs? In my opinion if you are genuine people will be receptive no matter what the subject.

So i guess the answers are what can you deal with?

I do not do well with the sympathy card, it makes me uncomfortable. I am ok when others do it, just not when I am the one receiving the sympathy.

Straight fact is usually how I deal with serious issues

Humor can be good if done right. Everyone's sense of humor is different so what is funny for one will not be for another.

CafeBrakes

Coffee Brakes
Jul 26, 2019
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2018 Yamaha R3
2014 Honda CBR1000RR
I agree with everyone. It's all about context. Of course there are still some underlying things that we shouldn't joke about. As long as you mean well with your humor.

I feel as content creators, we should not fake who we are as people because we are still human. For example, If I meet this wonderful youtuber who I followed for a long time and this person is nice and shows all these good qualities on video, then I meet them in person and it's all the opposite of what I've been watching. That just leaves me disappointed and feeling like a fool that I supported this person. I can appreciate a content creator who is true to themselves even if I don't agree with what they say. Better to be real than put up a front.

In the end, we find comfort in riding two wheels and in addition, we like to vlog. Whether it is about your bike or your life, you're followers should support you no matter what. My personal opinion is to be real about yourself from the beginning.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts