Sena Prism Tube WIFI

Leigh

Wannabie Member
Feb 12, 2019
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800
Hi all,

I'm new to Moto logging and this site, I just brought a Sena Prism Tube WIFI, I opted for this due to the relatively low cost.

Has anyone used this devise? I'm only getting around 50 minutes of battery life, Sena state 2 hours.

I record in 1080p 60fps, normal mode (as opposed to loop) with the external mic connected, not the speaker, I charged the battery over night. Updated to the latest firmware and use a new Sandisk extreme 64GB card. I did a test ride and noticed it had stopped recording after about 50 minutes. When reviewing the files I had 3 videos, all about 16 minutes long (4GB) then the battery failed.

After speaking with Sena Tech they told me to reset the camera and try again, which I did however the same results.

They then sent me a replacement camera, I updated, charged overnight then exactly the same, 3 files all around 16 minutes long then the battery failed. I also tried turning the WIFI off from my phone in case this made a difference although eh Prism Tube WIFI is supposed to disconnect after 3 minutes, no change.

Sena think its 2 faulty cameras which I doubt, so just wondering if anyone has experience with this set up? If so what battery life do you get?

Is there anything else I can try or should I return both devices and look at other options.

Cheers

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I've not tried those cameras, but the temperature could be an issue, are you in winter where you are?
Welcome to the forum BTW :)

Reactions: Leigh

Leigh

Wannabie Member
Feb 12, 2019
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800
Hi thank you, yes its winter however its been around 4 - 6 degrees where I am in the UK so hopefully it should cope with that?

Cheers

Reactions: HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Aye, it should. My Insta360 One X has cold issues apparently, but so far, I've not been out in much lower than you are feeling and had no issues. Sounds like Sena are maybe exaggerating their battery life, or at least testing them in laboratory conditions maybe? Have you seen any independent reviews of the camera on YouTube that back up Sena's claims?

Leigh

Wannabie Member
Feb 12, 2019
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800
Aye, it should. My Insta360 One X has cold issues apparently, but so far, I've not been out in much lower than you are feeling and had no issues. Sounds like Sena are maybe exaggerating their battery life, or at least testing them in laboratory conditions maybe? Have you seen any independent reviews of the camera on YouTube that back up Sena's claims?

Hiya, thanks for the reply, I did comment on some YouTube videos, it seems they are getting better battery life than me.

I think the camera making separate files is normal however Sena said it should not.

Would recording in 1080 30fps make the battery last longer than 1080 60fps? Is 30fps still good enough quality?

Cheers

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Chase on 2 Wheels records at 30fps, as do lots of others. I think it depends on the environment you are in and the speed you ride. I stick with 60fps as I prefer the smoother look to my content, some 30fps vids are very jerky. Technically you should get a little better battery life, but it won't be 50% better.

Leigh

Wannabie Member
Feb 12, 2019
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800
Chase on 2 Wheels records at 30fps, as do lots of others. I think it depends on the environment you are in and the speed you ride. I stick with 60fps as I prefer the smoother look to my content, some 30fps vids are very jerky. Technically you should get a little better battery life, but it won't be 50% better.
Hey thanks again

I did a test in my car, the cameras recorded for around 1 hour 40, I think it must be due to the temperature.

I think I’ll return and look to get a GoPro so I can use a spare battery, thanks again for all the help.

Cheers

Reactions: HippoDrone

bphoenix38

Wannabie Member
Apr 12, 2019
Southern Massachusetts
www.facebook.com
I ride a
2013 Can Am Spyder RS
I also have the Sena Prism tube. The cold definitively decreases the battery life with them. I was only able to record for about an hour the first time I went out. Once the weather started getting better I noticed better battery life.

I also have two spare usb chargers that I use to keep the camera charged while I"m taking a break for food or anything like that. It seems to be working out well.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts