Scotland's Route 66 - NC500 - North Coast 500 Tour

MachKneel

Insta : @flex_and_freedom
Mar 23, 2021
Co.Derry, Ireland
I ride a
Harley Davidson Softail 2021, Yamaha R6 2005
Hi Everyone,

My friend Aaron and I are planning to do the North Coast 500 in Scotland this year, starting Friday 21st May and finishing Monday 24th May.

The route is Belfast, (Ireland) and ferry across to Cairnryan.
- Cairnryan to Inverness (250Miles)
- North Coast 500 Route - (500 Miles)
- Inverness to Cairnryan (250Miles)

So all in all, my brand new 2021 Softail standard will be ready for its first Harley service by the time I'm done, well it will be overdue (1000miles)

We are planning to stay in a Biker BNB for the duration as the wild camping option means lots of luggage needed!

Anyone on here ever done this route before?

Thanks

John

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Although the NC500 can be done in a day, you'll not be able to take much of it in if you do it over such a short time, is it worth adding a day maybe?

MachKneel

Mar 23, 2021
Co.Derry, Ireland
I ride a
Although the NC500 can be done in a day, you'll not be able to take much of it in if you do it over such a short time, is it worth adding a day maybe?

4 Long days riding I thought would have been plenty? We are considering targeting the West coast mainly, maybe John O'Groats on the North East but probably skipping out the East Coast mostly.

Plans not decided yet either...have you done it yourself? :)

Reactions: HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Not yet, we were gonna do it last year, but rona. If you are not doing it all then less of an issue. The west coast of Scotland is amazing riding, I was based up at Faslane for around 7 years, really should have done it then! :)

SweetTripl

Sweet Triple
Mar 23, 2021
United Kingdom
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple R
I Also planned to do the NC500 for the first time this year but our plans were scuppered by the virus. Will be doing a few little tours instead this year. We planned to do it over a long weekend (4 days). I'd be too tempted to let my new bike rip on some of those lovely roads I've seen in pictures, I'd be far too tempted to go over the break in rev thresholds! Is there any way to get a few big rides in to get your miles up and then get the service done before you go? Don't know when it is you plan to set off? Maybe you have a little more self control than me :p

Reactions: MachKneel

MachKneel

Mar 23, 2021
Co.Derry, Ireland
I ride a
I Also planned to do the NC500 for the first time this year but our plans were scuppered by the virus. Will be doing a few little tours instead this year. We planned to do it over a long weekend (4 days). I'd be too tempted to let my new bike rip on some of those lovely roads I've seen in pictures, I'd be far too tempted to go over the break in rev thresholds! Is there any way to get a few big rides in to get your miles up and then get the service done before you go? Don't know when it is you plan to set off? Maybe you have a little more self control than me :p

'Rona resctrictions hitting me hard here in Ireland, can't go far to be honest! :( Think I will ok, bike very comfy :)

Ponkster

Wannabie Member
Aug 30, 2020
I ride a
VN 1500 rat sidecar rig and a Yamaha FZS/R1/R6/ other hybrid rat bike called "Rattus"
Im not sure if the author of this post actually did do the route but here is my take on it . I travel roads on the route regularly as I live in the area and meet many people who think they can fly round the route in a couple of days (usually on bikes or fast cars) . The main thing to realise about the NC500 is that is has large sections of single track that an overtake is virtually impassible even on a bike - this coupled with lots and lots of slow moving campervans and cyclists can make progress very slow. To compound the problem many of the passing places are "occupied " by campervans which can cause some long waits as traffic has to filter past before you can move. The fact is that the route was never designed for the amount of traffic it currently sees and the local facilities are struggling to cope. Please bear this in mind if you are planning a trip as it may take you longer than you think especially as we move out of lock down and people start heading north to tick one off their bucket list .

MachKneel

Mar 23, 2021
Co.Derry, Ireland
I ride a
Im not sure if the author of this post actually did do the route but here is my take on it . I travel roads on the route regularly as I live in the area and meet many people who think they can fly round the route in a couple of days (usually on bikes or fast cars) . The main thing to realise about the NC500 is that is has large sections of single track that an overtake is virtually impassible even on a bike - this coupled with lots and lots of slow moving campervans and cyclists can make progress very slow. To compound the problem many of the passing places are "occupied " by campervans which can cause some long waits as traffic has to filter past before you can move. The fact is that the route was never designed for the amount of traffic it currently sees and the local facilities are struggling to cope. Please bear this in mind if you are planning a trip as it may take you longer than you think especially as we move out of lock down and people start heading north to tick one off their bucket list .
Hi mate,

Yes we did the route back in May over 4 days (1600 miles or so for us all in)

I found it a breeze on the harley, roads were quiet then and the weather was atrocious!! haha

CollingsB

Certified JB Welder
Mar 23, 2024
I ride a
BMW R1300 GS
I flew to Glasgow from Winnipeg, train to Edinburgh, then cab to Kirkcaldy Kawasaki in May of 2022 ..rented a 650 Versys, then did the NC500++ over 7 days. Many of the roads are single track..35/40 mph is a good average speed. I had good weather except for one bloody freezing 6 degree, constant pissing rain day from Ullapool to Durness. Amazing scenery!

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts