Running A Red

NF Vulcan

Never Hold In A Fart
Aug 26, 2017
Nebraska USA
www.facebook.com
I ride a
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan Mean Streak 1600 SE
In my great state of Nebraska, motorcyclists are not permitted to run a red. Some of the stop lights in my town don't change for my bike and I know which ones to avoid for this trouble. Just curious, can you run a red in your area?

Reactions: R-Rated

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
In my great state of Nebraska, motorcyclists are not permitted to run a red. Some of the stop lights in my town don't change for my bike and I know which ones to avoid for this trouble. Just curious, can you run a red in your area?

We can in Tennessee but there are some criteria that have to be met first.

First, you must come to a complete stop. Next, you have to be sure that the light is controlled by the sensor in the ground. Then you have to be sure that the sensor is not picking up the motorcycle. Finally, once that is all confirmed then you may proceed with caution if there is no cross traffic.

The point of the law here is that some sensors were not picking up some bikes. It does not apply to lights that are on timers.

I find the best way to decide if I can go through on red is to look for the sensor and then see if the light cycles at least one time skipping me. After that it is a matter of waiting until there is no cross traffic. By that point if a four wheeled vehicle has not pulled up behind me, then I proceed with care.

For those that want the law here, it is TCA 55-8-110 b. Michie.com has several states laws published that are searchable.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
In the UK it seems that running a red is against the law but you can have a valid defence should you get caught, so if the lights were defective (eg would not change when you went over a sensor) then that could be used as a defence in court.

NF Vulcan

Never Hold In A Fart
Aug 26, 2017
Nebraska USA
www.facebook.com
I ride a
In the UK it seems that running a red is against the law but you can have a valid defence should you get caught, so if the lights were defective (eg would not change when you went over a sensor) then that could be used as a defence in court.
I would like to think the police around here would think the same way but I read when I was researching this subject that people were getting ticketed for this. I know there was a bill going through the process to allow us to go through a red, but the rules were that you had to wait 2 minutes.

lupin

2016 Solar Bear Champion.
Jul 5, 2015
Australia
www.imlupz.com
I ride a
FZ1N
If the sensor is the induction type then it’s a simple as stopping the bike and restarting it. The magnetic field from the starter is enough to set it off. Or you make sure you stop right on top of it.

MIcruiser

SW Michigan motovlogger
Sep 25, 2015
SW Michigan
I ride a
2008 Yamaha V-Star 1300
https://www.youtube.com/c/MIcruiserGUY

Try contacting the DOT that is responsible for the light and ask if they can adjust the sensor. Most are willing to do that, if you ask nice enough. I have had a few in my area (Michigan) fixed so they do detect motorcycles.

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Try contacting the DOT that is responsible for the light and ask if they can adjust the sensor. Most are willing to do that, if you ask nice enough. I have had a few in my area (Michigan) fixed so they do detect motorcycles.

What is fun is when the light picks up the bike one time through but later it is as if I don't exist in this reality...
9ba4701c3170d469c85d85ecfb500f0f--funny-geek-funny-shit.jpg

Reize

2 Wheeled Islander
Jan 20, 2016
Singapore
www.reizeprimus.tk
I ride a
DRZ400SM / Shadow 400 ACE / ZX6R
Here in Mexico City, you may only run on a red light between 10PM and 5AM with caution, there are no sensors, only timers
Timed traffic lights are a great solution to every single bloody problem. Great in areas with dense traffic, great in areas with practically no traffic. I don't understand why they are not universal.

MIcruiser

SW Michigan motovlogger
Sep 25, 2015
SW Michigan
I ride a
2008 Yamaha V-Star 1300
https://www.youtube.com/c/MIcruiserGUY
Timed traffic lights are a great solution to every single bloody problem. Great in areas with dense traffic, great in areas with practically no traffic. I don't understand why they are not universal.
they do it in situations where a cross street has little to no traffic compared to a busy street. the cross street only gets a green when there is a need to change to let traffic cross. It bothers me when a light changes and you have to sit through a long cycle for no reason.

Reactions: HippoDrone

Reize

2 Wheeled Islander
Jan 20, 2016
Singapore
www.reizeprimus.tk
I ride a
DRZ400SM / Shadow 400 ACE / ZX6R
they do it in situations where a cross street has little to no traffic compared to a busy street. the cross street only gets a green when there is a need to change to let traffic cross. It bothers me when a light changes and you have to sit through a long cycle for no reason.
If it's timed it wouldn't be a problem though. They just need to adjust the programming to give priority to the main road, and a shorter but existing interval to the minor road.

NF Vulcan

Never Hold In A Fart
Aug 26, 2017
Nebraska USA
www.facebook.com
I ride a
If the sensor is the induction type then it’s a simple as stopping the bike and restarting it. The magnetic field from the starter is enough to set it off. Or you make sure you stop right on top of it.
I've tried this on a couple of the sensor lights around town since I've posted this thread, that isn't working for me. I don't know if the sensor isn't sensitive enough or if my starter isn't putting out enough of a magnetic field.

Mrhooligan

Mr. Hooliganisms
Oct 17, 2017
WA
I ride a
Triumph Thruxton 900
In WA you have to wait for the light to cycle through I think 1 or 3 times before you can run it. What I do for an example, I'm making a left at a light that won't change If I'm there for more than a minute with no traffic, I'll just make a right then an immediate U-turn. Potentially Illegal but I'm not going to sit there forever or wait until a car trips the sensors. Luckily I haven't had to do either very often.

LoneWally

All Season Rider
Aug 29, 2017
Leicestershire
I ride a
2007 Hartford HD125L, 2013 Honda CB500X
Im in the UK and running a red is illegal full stop. Even if you are moving out the way for an emergency vechile. What I tend to do is rock up the light and count to 60 and than move out. I always have my Drift recording so I can show that I didn't go straight through. Will it get me off the hook? Probaly not but it may.

Will have to give that one a go.

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Over here bikers run the lights regardless how long the wait, some don't even wait. Oh well, it's not about the police catching you.. It's about potentially getting knocked and possibly dying, they don't feel their lives matter that much than that 30 secs or 60 secs they save.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts