Feedback Needed Riding in Thailand

motonomad

Wannabie Member
May 20, 2023
Chiang Mai, Thailand
I ride a
Yamaha MT-03
Hey all, here are a couple videos I have uploaded as of recently. One of which is standard vlog format, the other has no commentary.

Hoping to hear some feedback on how I can improve some things! Had a lot of fun making these, but overall they are very simplistic and minimal.

General vlog, riding in Thailand, some talk about staying cool in the heat whilst wearing gear, and some moto story telling:

Thailand Countryside ride - no commentary, just raw exhaust!

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Hey all, here are a couple videos I have uploaded as of recently. One of which is standard vlog format, the other has no commentary.

Hoping to hear some feedback on how I can improve some things! Had a lot of fun making these, but overall they are very simplistic and minimal.

General vlog, riding in Thailand, some talk about staying cool in the heat whilst wearing gear, and some moto story telling:

Thailand Countryside ride - no commentary, just raw exhaust!
I'm going away for a few days, but will take a watch when I return :)

• Love
Reactions: motonomad

NB1980

Wannabie Member
May 12, 2023
I ride a
Honda CBR1000RR
My Mrs is Thai. Been travelling there for the past 15 years. Heading back for xmas. Looking forward to watching these after work

• Love

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Love that intro. Great audio for you voice and bike. Good POV on the bike because it shows the bars.

Great tips on the heat. By the way, I found putting the hydration back in the pocket for the back armor to hold it and then I have the tube clipped to the front the jacket. I only look strange until I drink some of liquid down.

motonomad

Wannabie Member
May 20, 2023
Chiang Mai, Thailand
I ride a
Yamaha MT-03
My Mrs is Thai. Been travelling there for the past 15 years. Heading back for xmas. Looking forward to watching these after work
Nice!! My wife is also Thai, we're currently working on building a house here. Can't wait to have a semi-proper garage :D

motonomad

Wannabie Member
May 20, 2023
Chiang Mai, Thailand
I ride a
Yamaha MT-03
Love that intro. Great audio for you voice and bike. Good POV on the bike because it shows the bars.

Great tips on the heat. By the way, I found putting the hydration back in the pocket for the back armor to hold it and then I have the tube clipped to the front the jacket. I only look strange until I drink some of liquid down.
Thank you! That's actually an incredible idea about the hydration pack + cheaper. Going to give that one a shot!

Reactions: R-Rated

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
As has been said, your audio is great, no issues hearing you and the bike sounded good in it too. As you asked for feedback, you could have made that into three different shorter vlogs, one for the kit, another about the bike and why you like that over others in Thailand and then a third for the story time. Although the footage would show in high resolutions, it still looked pretty fuzzy, what was the raw video format recorded at?

Brill first vlog mate, given you a sub and look forward to watching more of your content!

Last edited:
Reactions: R-Rated

motonomad

Wannabie Member
May 20, 2023
Chiang Mai, Thailand
I ride a
Yamaha MT-03
As has been said, your audio is great, no issues hearing you and the bike sounded good in it too. As you asked for feedback, you could have made that into three different shorter vlogs, one for the kit, another about the bike and why you like that over others in Thailand and then a third for the story time. Although the footage would show in high resolutions, it still looked pretty fuzzy, what was the raw video format recorded at?

Brill first vlog mate, given you a sub and look forward to watching more of your content!
Hey, thank you!!

I was thinking shorter vlogs would probably be a better option, too. Will keep that in mind for these next ones!

The raw video format was 4k 30fps for the first video, and 4k 24fps for the second video I believe. I had Shutter set to auto but have since upped that to 48 while shooting at 24fps. I feel like that may have helped in my latest short video.

Settings:
Hero9 black
4k | 24
Superview
Hypersmooth: Boost (Maybe I should reduce this to just "on")
Bitrate: High
Shutter: 1/48
ISO Min: 100
ISO Max: 800
Sharpness: Low
Color: Flat
ND32 filter

Thanks again for the feedback!

Reactions: HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Hey, thank you!!

I was thinking shorter vlogs would probably be a better option, too. Will keep that in mind for these next ones!

The raw video format was 4k 30fps for the first video, and 4k 24fps for the second video I believe. I had Shutter set to auto but have since upped that to 48 while shooting at 24fps. I feel like that may have helped in my latest short video.

Settings:
Hero9 black
4k | 24
Superview
Hypersmooth: Boost (Maybe I should reduce this to just "on")
Bitrate: High
Shutter: 1/48
ISO Min: 100
ISO Max: 800
Sharpness: Low
Color: Flat
ND32 filter

Thanks again for the feedback!
I keep most of my GoPro settings on auto as am not great with all that stuff... but I tend to use sharpness at medium on bike and like you mentioned... turn down the hypersmooth as well. The stabilisation crops the footage, so the higher the stabalisation, the more the video is cropped... and that cropping could be what is making it look a little blurred. Your colour correction could also be causing it a little too.

motonomad

Wannabie Member
May 20, 2023
Chiang Mai, Thailand
I ride a
Yamaha MT-03
I keep most of my GoPro settings on auto as am not great with all that stuff... but I tend to use sharpness at medium on bike and like you mentioned... turn down the hypersmooth as well. The stabilisation crops the footage, so the higher the stabalisation, the more the video is cropped... and that cropping could be what is making it look a little blurred. Your colour correction could also be causing it a little too.
Thanks! Will do a few short rides with some more different settings to try to get that issue hammered out :D

Reactions: HippoDrone

TallADVer

Compulsive Hobbyist
Apr 13, 2023
Maryland
I ride a
2017 Honda CRF1000L (Africa Twin DCT)
I agree, I tried turning up the stabilization on my Hero 8 to maximum, and I really didn't like how the POV kept "scanning" around. For me, the middle setting in hypersmooth seems to be the best. Though of course, each generation is probably different.

TallADVer

Compulsive Hobbyist
Apr 13, 2023
Maryland
I ride a
2017 Honda CRF1000L (Africa Twin DCT)
I liked that first video (haven't gotten to the 2nd one yet). Agreed with the others that you could break it into multiple videos, but you definitely have a lot of interesting things to discuss. And a really good presentation style, you really make it look effortless (especially while dealing with some challenging traffic conditions)!

I have a similar challenge in that I go out on a ride intending to talk about a subject, and if it's a quick ride, then I seem to be better at keeping the content within a reasonable length. If it's a longer ride, then I tend to wander more, which makes editing for me a lot more challenging. I'm thinking for a longer ride, I may try picking two subjects, and turn it into two videos.

Nice work! Looking forward to exploring more of Thailand through your videos :)

• Love

motonomad

Wannabie Member
May 20, 2023
Chiang Mai, Thailand
I ride a
Yamaha MT-03
Thank you!

Agreed, I also think that even if I had very knowledgable or comedic content, a 26 minute video is just too long for our attention span. I find myself usually veering off to another video after about 10-15 minutes, perhaps up to around 20 minutes. If i see a video over 30 minutes I typically try to avoid it completely. Cutting into smaller clips would probably also help the AVD I would assume.

I'm going to try picking two subjects as I'm going on a longer ride tomorrow! Will see how that works out. Tried filming one last weekend about "Is Thailand safe to ride in?" but for some reason the footage turned out quite shakey and the audio took a dive due to how I relocated my mic lol

Reactions: TallADVer

AlanSmith7

Wannabie Member
Aug 17, 2020
I ride a
Suzuki Hayabusa
Harley Davidson Dyna Fatbob
I never go to Thailand but now I want to go. I hope one day, to see so many riders have the best experience in Thailand and I am missing this one.

• Love

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts