Reasonable suggestions for Dual Sport & Commuting Boots

Skyd

Wannabie Member
May 2, 2021
New Hampshire
I ride a
2020 RPS Hawk 250
This is always a touchy subject, but I wanted some opinions because truth be told I've never bought motorcycle boots. I've always worn hiking boots or *gasp* sneakers depending on what I was doing.

I've been without any bike for a few years and now I've got the "Chicken Hawk" as I call it. Dual sport bike. So first I was like, well I'm just gonna get some decent hikers with a mid height for some ankle support. In fact I ordered some and really liked them except they had a HUGE toe box and there was just no way shifting was gonna happen with an already too short shifter for my size 13's.

So I sent those back and have been pondering what to do. I want to have some level of protection while I commute to work, explore back roads and trails, and stuff like that. I also wanna be able to get off the bike and walk around without looking like I'm severely constipated.

So, the gear police would say - FULL HEIGHT BOOTS ONLY, everything else is a waste of time and money, do you hate your tib/fib and feet?

Ok, I there's a trade off between risk/comfort/price, etc. I'm trying to find a reasonable place these things meet for my needs.

I'm wondering if a shorty off road boot is the way to go? I've stumbled on some discussions of people saying don't do it, etc etc, only wear full MX boots. Ok well realistically, I'm not gonna wear MX boots unless I'm putting in some serious off road time.

So, I'm opening this up to the MotoVlogging crowd for some suggestions and opinions, all are welcome, even the safety police, but I can almost guarantee I won't be choosing a full MX boot, somewhere between Nike's and Tech 9's there exists a boot for me, what is it?

Dewey316

Dewey|Rides
Oct 1, 2020
I ride a
BWM F800gs / DR650 / Honda CM450E
Its a hard balance, what you don't get from a shorty boot, is any shin protection. Take a peg to a shit, and you will wish you had it.

I don't wear a full MX boot (although my next purchase is a set of Gaerne SG12's, that are the full deal), but the ADV boots I have are expensive (Sidi Adventure 2). There are only a couple of ADV style boots that have real ankle protection in them. I would normally tell someone on a budget to get a MX boot as they are cheaper, something like a Alpine Stars Tech7 or Fox Instinct if you spend a bit more.

Shorty or tall may not make a difference in how easily you can walk in them, that all comes down to ankle articulation and sole flex that is allowed, the more allowed the less safe and less control on the pegs. That is your compromise. That said, some of the more expensive MX boots are way less ski-boot like than the lower priced options.

I will say, the alpinestar corozal has decent ankle protection, it at least has an outside hinge/lockout part on it, I've not worn them, but I have a friend who has them and thinks they are very comfortable.

Reactions: Skyd and HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Personally if I am going off into the mud, I wear MX boots. But, your feet, ankles and legs, so your risk.
On tarmac, I generally ride in what I am wearing, so not judging your choice to not want MX boots

Reactions: Skyd

Skyd

Wannabie Member
May 2, 2021
New Hampshire
I ride a
2020 RPS Hawk 250
Its a hard balance, what you don't get from a shorty boot, is any shin protection. Take a peg to a shit, and you will wish you had it.

Oh ya for sure, I rode BMX as a kid and hit a jump came off the pedal (metal) and I'm missing a chunk of flesh on my shit to show for it. So ya that's a risk for sure. Worth considering though.

Personally if I am going off into the mud, I wear MX boots. But, your feet, ankles and legs, so your risk.
On tarmac, I generally ride in what I am wearing, so not judging your choice to not want MX boots

Ya, I mean ultimately it would be nice to have both...some shorty boots maybe for riding to work, around town, etc. Then some full height boots when I wanna spend most of my day in the dirt. Cost is the issue with that. Anything motorcycle specific is gonna be better than what I've done for the past 25 years tbh, and I used to ride my YZ125 through the woods like I stole it. Not that that means I shouldn't be smarter now...cause it does, and I am. I think so anyway :)

• Love
Reactions: HippoDrone

Skyd

Wannabie Member
May 2, 2021
New Hampshire
I ride a
2020 RPS Hawk 250
Ok, you guys bullied me into buying full height boots, but I went with an ADV boot - the O'Neal Sierra Pro. Found them on Rocky Mountain for $160 so they're on the way.

Riderguide

Neil - The Rider Guider
Feb 24, 2019
South Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha Tenere 700 T7
I have the Forma Adventure boots short version for everyday use. Best boots I've owned for riding and can wear them all day, comfy blister free walking too. I've just ordered a second pair of taller one's for when I go off roading. I tried MX boots earlier this week and for me they just felt awful compared to these. But I'm not MXing.
forma short.PNG
forma long.PNG

Reactions: MachKneel

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
I don't know id the boots I wear are low or high. It's just what I have found comfortable. Boots and gloves I don't order online, I go to the local store and try them out, till I find something that fits.
My first pair of boots was touring boots. Similar looking to these, but I can't recall the brand.
boots.jpg

They were very comfortable, even for walking, though they had solid souls. The downside was, they stopped being waterproof after about 2 seasons, so I had to start using them boot condom things, you pull over the boots, when it rains.

So as you may have guessed, my suggestion is to go to your local gear stores and just try out boot after boot, till you suddenly feel, "I could spend a day in these". And then try not to faint when looking at the price :p

Reactions: MachKneel

MachKneel

Insta : @flex_and_freedom
Mar 23, 2021
Co.Derry, Ireland
I ride a
Harley Davidson Softail 2021, Yamaha R6 2005
Ok, being a Harley rider I wear hiking boots all the time when riding, although not that that should make a difference really I guess. These are they ones I wear;

1622099208485.png

However I am going to order these because after my Scotland road trip my feet got soaked! I even had to wear plastic carrier bags over my feet to keep my socks dry when doing 300 miles a day in lovely Scottish weather. Aaron (My channel partner) wore these and had no issues;

There is a pair somewhere with a side zip too which makes it way easier to put them on/take them off.

1622099365440.png

Thanks

John

Skyd

Wannabie Member
May 2, 2021
New Hampshire
I ride a
2020 RPS Hawk 250
I looked at the Forma boots and I really like them but they're just not in my price range right now. So possible upgrade in the future. I'd love to have a shorty for commuting and back road riding, and then the full height for off-road. I'm also not doing MX and very little single track and nothing at blistering speeds. So yes, I need decent protection but I don't need high end racing gear.

As far as going to the local shop - that's no bueno here. I live in east nowhere and we do have powersports dealers but they carry very little in the way of gear and only the most popular (profitable) stuff makes it on thier shelves. I could drive 2 or 3 hours I suppose to a better shop but order from RM or Revzilla affords me free shipping both ways so I'm cool with that.

These are what I ended up going with, they have great reviews for the price point.

1622118287945.png

Reactions: Riderguide

Riderguide

Neil - The Rider Guider
Feb 24, 2019
South Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha Tenere 700 T7
I looked at the Forma boots and I really like them but they're just not in my price range right now. So possible upgrade in the future. I'd love to have a shorty for commuting and back road riding, and then the full height for off-road. I'm also not doing MX and very little single track and nothing at blistering speeds. So yes, I need decent protection but I don't need high end racing gear.

As far as going to the local shop - that's no bueno here. I live in east nowhere and we do have powersports dealers but they carry very little in the way of gear and only the most popular (profitable) stuff makes it on thier shelves. I could drive 2 or 3 hours I suppose to a better shop but order from RM or Revzilla affords me free shipping both ways so I'm cool with that.

These are what I ended up going with, they have great reviews for the price point.

View attachment 5812
They look REALLY nice. A little story about Revzilla, I'm in South Australia and can order stuff from interstate that can take two weeks, I've just had some QuadLock stuff get lost for WEEKS and just arrived. Our postal service is appalling at times and always inconsistent. Auspost blaming Covid and lack of staff is just BS nowadays.

Point in question I ordered a mini compressor for my T7 from Revzilla. 4 days to my doorstep in Adelaide from Las Bloody Vegas!!!! That was outstanding!!!! FOUR DAYS. I love good service.

Reactions: Skyd

Skyd

Wannabie Member
May 2, 2021
New Hampshire
I ride a
2020 RPS Hawk 250
They look REALLY nice. A little story about Revzilla, I'm in South Australia and can order stuff from interstate that can take two weeks, I've just had some QuadLock stuff get lost for WEEKS and just arrived. Our postal service is appalling at times and always inconsistent. Auspost blaming Covid and lack of staff is just BS nowadays.

Point in question I ordered a mini compressor for my T7 from Revzilla. 4 days to my doorstep in Adelaide from Las Bloody Vegas!!!! That was outstanding!!!! FOUR DAYS. I love good service.

Ya that's pretty darn good - I got these from Rocky Mountain MC, but I did order some stuff from Revzilla that came quick also. Actually alot of places have been doing reasonably well, while Amazon has been like a week or more with most things, why do I pay for Prime shipping again? LOL

Reactions: Riderguide

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts